Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can key fobs be reprogrammed from one car to another?

For example...Could my Dart fobs be sold and used by someone else to reprogram and work on their car?

-Don

·
Super Moderator
3,492 Posts
From what I have read on other forums, no. The part that goes in the ignition may work but the RKE part that opens the doors and trunk will not work. There may be a way to zero it but it takes expensive equipment that most locksmiths do not have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. I thought that I had read that somewhere. I hate to just throw these in the trash, because they weren't cheap. But, since my Dart was totaled...they are of no use to me. I had hoped to find another one. Couldn't find any decent deals on good condition ones around here.

Thanks for the help.

-Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
They actually can. But its a bit of a challange. A Dart depending on the software can have between 4 and 6 fobs programmed to the computer. A locksmith (with the proper equipment) or the dealer can. As long as they are the same style (FCC ID and # of buttons)

I paid a locksmith $60 to program a $40 knock-off key for me in another Dodge Model. For my Dart I paid her $120, she wiped the existing 2 keys and 1 that died about a year ago. She then reprogrammed the the 2 working keys and 2 Knock-offs into the Dart's computer. So we actually have 4 working keys for the dart.

The dealer wanted $95 per key to program and would not guarentee knock-off's would work. Locksmith would not charge if she could not program.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts