Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil from the factory was blacker than sin after only 2800 miles... Dealership wanted me to wait till 7000 because the detergents from the factory need to stay in there long as possible?? I waited as long as I could... Feels like a weight was lifted off my car, runs, idles, shifts, everything smoother!

Also got the EA oil filter, looks pretty well made from what I can see!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just changed my oil at work last night at 2700 miles; Mine was also black as night. I saw the same change in my car as well, good times!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just changed my oil at work last night at 2700 miles; Mine was also black as night. I saw the same change in my car as well, good times!
We have the same car except for color! Did your dealership tell you the same? Like why would they want that? They told me specifically the oil is good till 7000 miles, in florida, in stop and go traffic.. I know oil color isn't indicative entirely of its life expectancy but whatever "factory detergents" they put in there cleaned it out and needed to go!

·
Registered
601 Posts
well here is something to think about... most here will agree that these dont seem to get the best mpg and power till over 10K miles, and a large part of that is the engine and drive-train breaking in and seating. When you use a good synthetic oil you basically stop wear, INCLUDING break in! If your really worried about it replace the oil with another batch of break in oil then switch to synthetic whatever.

P.S. whats the amsoil EA filter P/N?? no listing on the site for it yet!

Reactions: SylenThunder

·
Registered
682 Posts
well here is something to think about... most here will agree that these dont seem to get the best mpg and power till over 10K miles, and a large part of that is the engine and drive-train breaking in and seating. When you use a good synthetic oil you basically stop wear, INCLUDING break in! If your really worried about it replace the oil with another batch of break in oil then switch to synthetic whatever. P.S. whats the amsoil EA filter P/N?? no listing on the site for it yet!
Filter # EA15K50 for the 2.0 and 2.4

·
Registered
47 Posts
well here is something to think about... most here will agree that these dont seem to get the best mpg and power till over 10K miles, and a large part of that is the engine and drive-train breaking in and seating. When you use a good synthetic oil you basically stop wear, INCLUDING break in! If your really worried about it replace the oil with another batch of break in oil then switch to synthetic whatever.

So here's a random question, what oil do you use as break in oil then if you don't want to stop the break in process? Most people on the forum treat their cars really well. I've always run "premium" oils in my vehicles no matter the age or mileage so what's your advice on that? Because clearly running Redline or Amsoil isn't the best thing to run during the break in period with your theory

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I don't know that this is the most sound logic... As even the dealer recommended for me to change at 4k and they use pennzoil platinum, which is a blended symthetic. According to the manual the break is period is only 300 miles, the reason they don't use a real break in oil now is because tolerances are so high in manufacturing, same reason they can get away with a 0w20 oil. I imagine a lot of factors to into the improved MPG and performance, but I don't think it's directly related to using the same oil as long as possible.

I don't know what dodge uses as factory fill but I assume it's the pennzoil, whether or not the dealer is correct that they add extra detergents or just that all new oils have that in them, I can't tell you either.

What I can tell you is everything in my car is running better after the sludge that was in there is gone!

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
A blended oil is generally not as good as a full synthetic (unless the synthetic is particularly crappy), however; Motul makes one that is the bee's knees. That being said, if you own a turbo (which you don't) you never want to use any blended oil!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry its a bit off topic, but my dealer told me that the oil was good for up to 10k miles and the oil life indicator would tell me when to change it.... with that in mind I got it changed at 5k at the dealer for my free maintenance checkup and they put a sticker on it to change again at 15k... ill be doing it myself next time probably around 8-9k

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a little crazy with my oil maintenance. I have let the dealership do it once and I hated the process. I switched to AmsOil at 3000 miles. I change it every 4000 miles, I know it's overkill especially with AmsOil. But your oil change routine can never be overdone! Better safe than sorry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts