Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 dodge dart Aero model, got it with the dual dry clutch, the automated manual version.

I've had 3 transmission related issues so far, the first was related to a recall of the transmission control module where that was the issue but my car had a critical failure and locked the transmission as it slowed to a stop on the street. This was in downtown la near skid row in the rain.

The second time was related to an issue where the transmission would spool up and not catch the next gear early enough and the rpms would rise too far. This sometimes caused the car to go into some sort of safe mode where only a low gear was available. I took it in, they reset the software and did not touch the transmission and it was fine for a bit. But it was still not perfect.

And now, more service transmission messages, at one point even reverse did not work. I have what I thought was a comprehensive warranty. My mistake, it covers the transmission and other areas of the power train for up to 70k miles, but apparently if the clutch is the issue, that is not covered. The guy at the dealer said they would have to take the transmission apart to determine if that was the issue, if it is, then the 8 hours of labor will be covered, if it is the clutch, I am on the hook for that labor plus the cost of the clutch.

I am not happy, at all. I have no idea if the clutch is responsible for any issues or the transmission itself. Maybe if I was more car savvy I would. Seems like a big risk of a high payout on my part because of uncertain diagnostics. And I still can't believe something like the clutch would not be part of the transmission coverage package.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If Dodge is "Claiming this to be an automatic transmission then I personally feel it should be covered. Call Dodge corporate and tell them car is unsafe and had various problems with the transmission. Again stress that it is an ATX and any thing should be covered under powertrain. BTW Dealers are shady, I work for one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If Dodge is "Claiming this to be an automatic transmission then I personally feel it should be covered. Call Dodge corporate and tell them car is unsafe and had various problems with the transmission. Again stress that it is an ATX and any thing should be covered under powertrain. BTW Dealers are shady, I work for one.

I'll definitely try calling them if they charge me 1300 dollars plus a clutch cost if that is the issue. I am literally shocked to hear that that kind of part would potentially go bad after only ~60k miles. What is the point of buying a car with a clutch if it's that much of a shit show for maintenance?

They did market the car clearly as a ddct, dual dry clutch and a sort of automated manual, so I'm not sure I'd be able to get away with it being marketed explicitly as an automatic car, but it can't hurt if I'm going to be stuck with a high bill anyway.

This makes me want to go to an electric car even more now, avoid all these issues.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
I have a 2013 dodge dart Aero model, got it with the dual dry clutch, the automated manual version.

I've had 3 transmission related issues so far, the first was related to a recall of the transmission control module where that was the issue but my car had a critical failure and locked the transmission as it slowed to a stop on the street. This was in downtown la near skid row in the rain.

The second time was related to an issue where the transmission would spool up and not catch the next gear early enough and the rpms would rise too far. This sometimes caused the car to go into some sort of safe mode where only a low gear was available. I took it in, they reset the software and did not touch the transmission and it was fine for a bit. But it was still not perfect.

And now, more service transmission messages, at one point even reverse did not work. I have what I thought was a comprehensive warranty. My mistake, it covers the transmission and other areas of the power train for up to 70k miles, but apparently if the clutch is the issue, that is not covered. The guy at the dealer said they would have to take the transmission apart to determine if that was the issue, if it is, then the 8 hours of labor will be covered, if it is the clutch, I am on the hook for that labor plus the cost of the clutch.

I am not happy, at all. I have no idea if the clutch is responsible for any issues or the transmission itself. Maybe if I was more car savvy I would. Seems like a big risk of a high payout on my part because of uncertain diagnostics. And I still can't believe something like the clutch would not be part of the transmission coverage package.
I would contact FCA, because the dual-clutch pack in the C635 DDCT is supposed to be covered by the powertrain warranty. Your dealer is either trying to pull a fast one on you (retail repair work pays better than warranty work) or possibly isn't familiar with the DDCT and honestly believes that it isn't covered because it's called a "clutch".

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would contact FCA, because the dual-clutch pack in the C635 DDCT is supposed to be covered by the powertrain warranty. Your dealer is either trying to pull a fast one on you (retail repair work pays better than warranty work) or possibly isn't familiar with the DDCT and honestly believes that it isn't covered because it's called a "clutch".
I called, lady said she did not know, downloaded some powertrain warranty information and did not see the clutch listed, tried to contact the dealer and left a message for a call back. But so far the info provided is contact the dealer, and one of the guys from the dealer was the one that mentioned the clutch not being covered. I might be screwed, I'll probably find out tomorrow.

If I am, I will never buy another car with a clutch, it's asking for a part to go bad that won't be covered. Actually needless extra expense. Hurry Up tesla with the model 3 and model y

·
Registered
22 Posts
The auto industry is based on csi, customer satisfaction. I work for a different brand and it seems like we do whatever we can to keep just. happy. Ask dealer for help as you feel it is an auto and as such should not have to pay. If ur a loyal customer they may "good will" parts or labor. That's what my dealer would do.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
If you have no direct input to the clutch then i a DDCT then i dont see how they can blame it on a wearable part or not cover it. It is all controlled by factory computers and such.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
https://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warranty/pdf/2013-Dodge-Warranty.pdf

That is the powertrain warranty document

Relevant section on transmission

"Transmission:
transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter;
drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; speed sensors;
pressure sensors; transmission control module; bell housing;
oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH
PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME."

The ddct is not listed in the document. Perhaps the ddct is considered a manual transmission clutch part, perhaps not, that part is not clear. I don't think it should be, but the things explicitly covered and topped off on the component list with the modifier "only" does not sound like a clutch, ddct clutch or otherwise is covered.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts

"Transmission:

The ddct is not listed in the document. Perhaps the ddct is considered a manual transmission clutch part, perhaps not, that part is not clear. I don't think it should be, but the things explicitly covered and topped off on the component list with the modifier "only" does not sound like a clutch, ddct clutch or otherwise is covered.
The clutch pack on the DDCT is considered an internal part of the transmission, I believe. It is not a manual transmission clutch.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
The FSM has the DDCT clutch R and R in the clutch chapter 6. It's in the same place in the bellhousing as the manual clutch, even has a clutch release bearing. It looks about as simple or complex depending on one's experience as doing a conventional manual clutch. No special tools required for removal. The only part about it being like an automatic is that that part about removing the transaxle is covered in the auto tranaxle chapter. If it's definitely a worn clutch, consider replacing it yourself.

06 - Clutch / DISC, Clutch / Removal

DDCT

1.Remove the transmission from the vehicle (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - C635 DDCT - Removal) .

2.Remove and discard the release bearing retaining clip (1).

dartddctclutchA.jpg

3.Remove the protective cap (1) .

dartDDCTclutchB.jpg

4.Remove the release bearing (1).

dartDDCTdlutchC.jpg

NOTE:
Do not separate the odd gear clutch assembly.

5.Remove the odd gear clutch assembly bolts (1) and remove the clutch assembly.

dartDDCTclutchD.jpg

6.Remove the even gear clutch disc (1).

dartDDCTclutchE.jpg

7.Remove the even
gear pressure plate bolts (1) and remove the pressure plate.

dartDDCTclutchF.jpg

Install is a little more complex and does require a special tool. There is a release rod adjustment and a dual mass flywheel adjustment. If you are going to attempt that, please let me know and I could post that as well.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
********** UPDATE **********

I just got a call from my contact at the dealer (I know it's been like 2 and a half weeks, going on 3 weeks soon, they were down a transmission tech and were severely backed up). It was the clutch. The guy put in the parts and it turns out it was covered since it's an automated manual. The guy above was right. I feel like I dodged a bullet. I don't even are that it's so late now.

·
Premium Member
6,066 Posts
********** UPDATE **********

I just got a call from my contact at the dealer (I know it's been like 2 and a half weeks, going on 3 weeks soon, they were down a transmission tech and were severely backed up). It was the clutch. The guy put in the parts and it turns out it was covered since it's an automated manual. The guy above was right. I feel like I dodged a bullet. I don't even are that it's so late now.
Good to hear that it got taken care of for you! I really think dealerships see "clutch" and automatically assume it won't be covered. You would hope that service advisers know more about warranties than random people on the Internet, but such hope will most certainly leave you disappointed. :big smile:

·
Registered
8 Posts

"Transmission:

M dealership has told me that transmissions for the Dart CAN NOT be serviced in any way should there ever be a problem. (It can only be replaced at a cost of $5,200) parts and labor of course.
ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS!! That's insane

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll definitely try calling them if they charge me 1300 dollars plus a clutch cost if that is the issue. I am literally shocked to hear that that kind of part would potentially go bad after only ~60k miles. What is the point of buying a car with a clutch if it's that much of a shit show for maintenance?

They did market the car clearly as a ddct, dual dry clutch and a sort of automated manual, so I'm not sure I'd be able to get away with it being marketed explicitly as an automatic car, but it can't hurt if I'm going to be stuck with a high bill anyway.

This makes me want to go to an electric car even more now, avoid all these issues.
If you do not get satisfaction, I would escalate it. It was advertised as an automatic transmission. You do not manually operate the clutch. Therefore, you are not responsible for wear to the clutch.

BTW...I am new to this site and I though the topic(thread) was a new post. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
4,653 Posts
M dealership has told me that transmissions for the Dart CAN NOT be serviced in any way should there ever be a problem. (It can only be replaced at a cost of $5,200) parts and labor of course.
Absolutely 1000000000% false. Find a new dealer, or ask to talk to a more informed service advisor. If that is the service manager, tell him to kindly F off. The trans can be serviced in many ways. For example, if it's a normal automatic, the fluids SHOULD be changed every 50k miles. This actually is in the updated manual apparently (according to a friend who is a master tech at a dealer) so that immediately voids their "CANNOT be serviced claim". Obviously if it's a DDCT or manual, the fluids or clutch can be changed. Throw out bearing, pressure plate, fly wheel, etc all can be serviced. The dealer you went to is absolutely trying to take advantage of you, and I would go back to them and tell them that. NO repair should cost $5k in a full trans repair, unless the transmission absolutely grenaded itself. What exactly is your issue? If the car is still at the dealer, pay whatever diognostic fees they have, and have it towed to the second nearest dealer. Be sure to call them and tell you the issue and make sure they won't also pull a fast one.

If you do not get satisfaction, I would escalate it. It was advertised as an automatic transmission. You do not manually operate the clutch. Therefore, you are not responsible for wear to the clutch.

BTW...I am new to this site and I though the topic(thread) was a new post. LOL.
It was only listed as a new post because someone commented on it. All newly responded to posts stay at the top to keep any threads or questions active for everyone to see. :)

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
If the DDCT can't be repaired then why does the factory service manual have pages and pages of details on how to rebuild it? Why are there special tools?

Find another dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Absolutely 1000000000% false. Find a new dealer, or ask to talk to a more informed service advisor. If that is the service manager, tell him to kindly F off. The trans can be serviced in many ways. For example, if it's a normal automatic, the fluids SHOULD be changed every 50k miles. This actually is in the updated manual apparently (according to a friend who is a master tech at a dealer) so that immediately voids their "CANNOT be serviced claim". Obviously if it's a DDCT or manual, the fluids or clutch can be changed. Throw out bearing, pressure plate, fly wheel, etc all can be serviced. The dealer you went to is absolutely trying to take advantage of you, and I would go back to them and tell them that. NO repair should cost $5k in a full trans repair, unless the transmission absolutely grenaded itself. What exactly is your issue? If the car is still at the dealer, pay whatever diognostic fees they have, and have it towed to the second nearest dealer. Be sure to call them and tell you the issue and make sure they won't also pull a fast one.

It was only listed as a new post because someone commented on it. All newly responded to posts stay at the top to keep any threads or questions active for everyone to see. :)
Thanks cntrollerfanboy. I agree 100% with you. As I posted before, the problem happened out of the blue, no warning sign or warning dash lights when I was driving home via the hwy and I went to exit at a rest stop and soon as I braked at the exit the car started to shake hard and made loud clanging medal sounds as if the whole underneath was falling apart and felt like my front bumper had fallin' off and I was pushing it. Immediately I shut it off. I waited few minutes and tried to start it again and still had the loud clanging noises. I called roadside and had it towed to my husband's work yard. Now my husband was a high tech mechanic for 30 years (he does work in that field any more), but he can tell you a problem with a vehicle just by listening to it or even just being told what the issues with the car are. Which he did with my car. The second he turned it over he shut it down and said it's my transmission or my clutch or both. We are located in between 2 dealerships. We proceeded to check with dealership # 1 they said tranny CANT BE SERVICED only replaced so they could/would only do complete tranny and clutch REPLACEMENT at a cost before taxes $5,200. They wouldn't do one or the other had to be both. NEXT.... dealership #2 (where I bought the car from) said they won't mess with the tranny. CANT BE SERVICED but they do/will replace the clutch. The quote I got from them for just clutch replacement is $3,000 before taxes which is %8.25. This is just insane to me. I cant process this. Clearly dealerships know of this problem before they sell the car. How can I claim this car as a LEMON. Only having this car a year I should not have to be dealing with this kind issues on my vehicle. ESPECIALLY that costs half of what I have left owing on the car. 😢

·
Super Moderator
4,653 Posts
Thanks cntrollerfanboy. I agree 100% with you. As I posted before, the problem happened out of the blue, no warning sign or warning dash lights when I was driving home via the hwy and I went to exit at a rest stop and soon as I braked at the exit the car started to shake hard and made loud clanging medal sounds as if the whole underneath was falling apart and felt like my front bumper had fallin' off and I was pushing it. Immediately I shut it off. I waited few minutes and tried to start it again and still had the loud clanging noises. I called roadside and had it towed to my husband's work yard. Now my husband was a high tech mechanic for 30 years (he does work in that field any more), but he can tell you a problem with a vehicle just by listening to it or even just being told what the issues with the car are. Which he did with my car. The second he turned it over he shut it down and said it's my transmission or my clutch or both. We are located in between 2 dealerships. We proceeded to check with dealership # 1 they said tranny CANT BE SERVICED only replaced so they could/would only do complete tranny and clutch REPLACEMENT at a cost before taxes $5,200. They wouldn't do one or the other had to be both. NEXT.... dealership #2 (where I bought the car from) said they won't mess with the tranny. CANT BE SERVICED but they do/will replace the clutch. The quote I got from them for just clutch replacement is $3,000 before taxes which is %8.25. This is just insane to me. I cant process this. Clearly dealerships know of this problem before they sell the car. How can I claim this car as a LEMON. Only having this car a year I should not have to be dealing with this kind issues on my vehicle. ESPECIALLY that costs half of what I have left owing on the car. 😢
Unless I missed it, are you over the 5 year 100k mile warranty? Since pretty much every 13,14, and early 15s would have passed this, I am assuming you are. Not too many DDCTs made in 15-16.

Sounds like you need to avoid the dealership entirely. It sounds like they don't know how to work on it, and are really only charging you for a full replacement since they don't have anyone qualified to work on it. Do you happen to be close to any FIAT dealerships? I know I have a handful of dedicated Fiat-Alfa dealers, and I think those are the service centers you want to go to. Since the DDCT is a European transmission, they are more likely to see something like those. I could be wrong, I am not sure what the Fiat 500s have for autos, but I know the Alfas are primarily DDCT style autos. If that is not an option, call transmission shops. I think that's your best bet. Dry clutch transmissions are becoming common enough and widespread in common cars (Ford Focus and Fiesta which both suffer from BAD BAD BAD reputations with theirs). I would think they can actually diagnose and fix your issue for a lower cost and if it's a local shop, might be a better chance of not getting ripped off. You always got to watch though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well far as my warranty goes, I bought the car used and warranty was only for 2yrs/ 15,000 miles which ever came first. I hit the milage about 3 months ago (I drive insane miles daily for my job) so any hope for being covered is out the window. So I did get it to dealership #2 and told them need clutch replacement. They quoted me $3,000 parts/labor (not including tax). Then after they started the work they call and say they forgot to add the throw out bearing to my price quote (cause it dont come with the clutch kit) . That's another $200. Then they called the next day again after diagnosing what the actual damage was. He said (and I quote) "you had a SPACE AGE actuator bearing break away from plate and completely shattered you clutch to pieces" and that part HAS TO BE REPLACED, so your looking at another $600 for that part." I thought I was gonna have a stroke. My husband called them to ask what was going on and they told him the same thing. Not knowing my husband is a master mechanic for 30 years he told them he wanted ALL THE PARTS they remove from my car so he could inspect them and see what the real issues are. Plus a printed detail of everything they touch or do to my car, start to finish. They were a little taken back by the request and for a moment they got quiet then said no problem. So we will see how that turns out. Cause I won't had them a dime till we validate their claims and work on the car. I'm looking at just over $4,000 (not including tax yet of course). That's alot of $$ for a repair on a vehicle that I've not owned but a year.
I truly feel this is unfair and extremely bad business. I really feel they were aware of this problem when I bought the car. Just wish there was a way to prove that.
Thanks everyone that posted on this topic. It sure helped alot and open my eyes to alot I wasn't aware of. I will post back when I get my car back (said by this friday) what final cost and work they did.
AND ALL I CAN SAY IS THEY HAD BETTER DO A CURTIOUS CAR WASH AND DETAIL ON MY CAR FOR WHAT IM PAYING THEM. (Fill up wouldn't hurt either LOL).

·
Super Moderator
4,653 Posts
Well far as my warranty goes, I bought the car used and warranty was only for 2yrs/ 15,000 miles which ever came first. I hit the milage about 3 months ago (I drive insane miles daily for my job) so any hope for being covered is out the window. So I did get it to dealership #2 and told them need clutch replacement. They quoted me $3,000 parts/labor (not including tax). Then after they started the work they call and say they forgot to add the throw out bearing to my price quote (cause it dont come with the clutch kit) . That's another $200. Then they called the next day again after diagnosing what the actual damage was. He said (and I quote) "you had a SPACE AGE actuator bearing break away from plate and completely shattered you clutch to pieces" and that part HAS TO BE REPLACED, so your looking at another $600 for that part." I thought I was gonna have a stroke. My husband called them to ask what was going on and they told him the same thing. Not knowing my husband is a master mechanic for 30 years he told them he wanted ALL THE PARTS they remove from my car so he could inspect them and see what the real issues are. Plus a printed detail of everything they touch or do to my car, start to finish. They were a little taken back by the request and for a moment they got quiet then said no problem. So we will see how that turns out. Cause I won't had them a dime till we validate their claims and work on the car. I'm looking at just over $4,000 (not including tax yet of course). That's alot of $$ for a repair on a vehicle that I've not owned but a year.
I truly feel this is unfair and extremely bad business. I really feel they were aware of this problem when I bought the car. Just wish there was a way to prove that.
Thanks everyone that posted on this topic. It sure helped alot and open my eyes to alot I wasn't aware of. I will post back when I get my car back (said by this friday) what final cost and work they did.
AND ALL I CAN SAY IS THEY HAD BETTER DO A CURTIOUS CAR WASH AND DETAIL ON MY CAR FOR WHAT IM PAYING THEM. (Fill up wouldn't hurt either LOL).
Wow that's insane! But overall, it doesn't sound out of the question. If the clutch did indeed blow apart, I can see it taking a few things out. A space age actuator? I mean i don't know much about transmissions, but I can't seem to find much on that. lol I mean for a manual you're looking at just about $1000 in PARTs. This does include the throw out bearing and (for the manual) the master and slave cylinder too. The DDCT is an automated manual, so it does have more moving parts and probably more expensive bits.

I saw on another post that you were over 100k, and it's unfortunate that this has happened. I don't think this transmission was really meant to push the higher mile boundaries. We are starting to see people come here with issues on the transmission and it's at the time where all the warranties on them are expired. If this happened to you 3 years ago, and lower miles the dealer would just go okay here's a free new transmission. Now it's to the point where things are breaking, and they never prepared their techs for full on DDCT repairs, so they are just hoping you buy a new transmission and call it a day. Because under warranty, that's all they did anyways - replace the entire thing... I mean $3k for just the clutches. It's not like a standard trans that can pretty much keep working as long as it's taken care of and maintained, those clutches can still wear out and still have a big bill down the road. And so many cars are going this direction now...I wonder why. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts