Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my car about two months in white fully loaded with 75,000 miles on it. The previous owner took good care of it but left It completely stock. I bought it for the gas mileage for a work car but it’s so fun to drive. After researching mods I stumbled upon this site and had to join. Yesterday I installed a custom short ram intake. I don’t know if it will improve hp or mpg yet but it sounds mean. I’m getting the windows tinted on Tuesday. I’m on my way to work now but I’ll post some pics when I get done at 3 pst. Peace

·
Registered
390 Posts
I mean Dodge Dart. Not didge😂
I too have a didge dart lol

The short ram will probably decrease power, but very possibly improve fuel economy.

The 2.4 doesn't suck in a ton of air so the short intake really only does one thing. Makes it suck hot air in from the engine bay which is almost completely sealed off especially on the highway.

Manufacturers actually try to increase intake temps within reason for better gas mileage and it's also supposedly a good way to reduce emissions however the hotter the air, the less performance you get.

I don't remember exactly what the numbers were, but I think it's something like you get 5-10% extra performance per 20 degrees knocked off intake temps with a 100% efficient ECU which ours is not, not even close.

The stock goal temp from what I've seen is 130 degrees F. I hover around ambient.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it seems to have a little more power but it could just be the sound makes it seem that way. I pointed the filter down into that snorkel coming up from the fender to get as much cooler air as possible. I like the look of the short ram better because it’s right there where you can see it as opposed to down in the fender. What do you think of those pedal commanders? Anything good about those? A lot of people say you can get better throttle response just by turning off the traction control. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yeah it seems to have a little more power but it could just be the sound makes it seem that way. I pointed the filter down into that snorkel coming up from the fender to get as much cooler air as possible. I like the look of the short ram better because it’s right there where you can see it as opposed to down in the fender. What do you think of those pedal commanders? Anything good about those? A lot of people say you can get better throttle response just by turning off the traction control. Any truth to that?
If it's down by the snorkel it's not the short intake I'm thinking of. That's about where the injen intake leads to.

I can't comment on any pedal mods, sorry.

For traction control though it doesn't magically increase power just by disabling it however you might get more then you are used to by turning it off.

Reason being, if any kind of slippage happens, even the slightest bit it will cut power to maximize traction. If you don't know how to do it yourself or know where your wheels break free you may actually lose performance due to wheelspin...

It's pretty damn easy for mine to just start free spinning on launch. The road out of my neighborhood has so many tire marks and I'm afraid to say a good majority of them are mine. It's just a badly designed intersection and you really do have to jump out almost all the time except for now thanks to COVID.

Edit: I forgot to mention one thing about traction control. I used to do a paper route a few years ago which required me to do 100+ u turns a night while driving on the wrong side of the road. I actually found that disabling it increased gas mileage significantly and when you make close to $3 an hour every penny counted. I think the car, 1998 grand am did something funky with each u turn that caused that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...interesting about the gas mileage. I wish the traction control would stay off. It turns back on automatically after restarting the dart. Thanks for the info. I can relate to the tire marks. I’m definitely gonna need new tires soon. Lol. To comment on the covid. I can’t find time to work on my car lately. So many people not showing up to work out of fear has me working 12 hours a day. But the over time is $40 an hour so maybe I can get something really fancy for the dart when this is all over.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Im at work right now😒. I’m in Oregon. Where you at?
Little personal, eh?

I live in Castroville, CA and frequently drive to Oregon because it's quite pretty. The areas around Newport... Oh my God!

I've driven a lot of different cars and have never seen one retain the traction control setting after being shut down. It can make a difference if you have a reason, but for safety reasons is reenabled. It also turns back on automatically in the dart if you hit 60+ mph.

The COVID thing isn't a joke. I got it back near the beginning of March and I could barely take out the trash which is a straight shot in April. I'm 100% now, but hoooooly ****! 34 and walking trash cans to the curb kicked my ass.

The good news is much like you neither of us lost our jobs. My wife is a nurse taking on extra work as each employee/patient drops and I can work remotely so were full sail here. I feel really bad for everyone that's currently sinking and hope it's not as bad as it seems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear you had to go through that. I got really sick back in the end of February and was pretty sure I had it but never got tested. My wife is a nurse too, at a live in care facility. They are being extra cautious and not even allowing visitors. Only FaceTime. I hope it all settles down soon. Back to the dart talk. I’m getting my windows tinted tomorrow 😃. Oregon allows 35% on all windows which isn’t too bad. Dark enough I think. People say I could get away with 20 but not worth the risk. Then I think I’m gonna buy that mix polished strut bar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you done any work with plastidip? I’m thinking about doing a few things this weekend. Definitely the emblems to start. Probably the rims too. Tutorials make it look easy enough? I want to do the taillights for sure but not in black. Seems over done on the white darts. I’m gonna try and white them out. I guess if it looks lame I can just peel it off. I want to do the crosshairs but I don’t wanna take off the whole bumper. Heard it’s a nightmare getting them off by reaching your hand down between the radiator and grill. It’s a plastidip weekend.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Have you done any work with plastidip? I’m thinking about doing a few things this weekend. Definitely the emblems to start. Probably the rims too. Tutorials make it look easy enough? I want to do the taillights for sure but not in black. Seems over done on the white darts. I’m gonna try and white them out. I guess if it looks lame I can just peel it off. I want to do the crosshairs but I don’t wanna take off the whole bumper. Heard it’s a nightmare getting them off by reaching your hand down between the radiator and grill. It’s a plastidip weekend.
I have and i suck at it as i always get a textured look. I even tried the warm water trick everyone suggests and i just cant do it right, but i can paint using the real stuff no problem.

I used flexidip instead which comes out smooth almost everytime and seems to hold up quite well, almost too well. Make sure you lay it on thick though because when it comes time to peeling it off a thin layer just flakes apart.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First a light coat then lay it on thicker? Maybe I try a little test patch on something first to get comfy before attacking my dart.

·
Registered
390 Posts
First a light coat then lay it on thicker? Maybe I try a little test patch on something first to get comfy before attacking my dart.
Use a metal surface and start with one can.

I tested it on a sheet of cardboard I had laying around which looked smooth and as soon as I was done painted the dart.

I just suck at plastidip, end of story. However the wifey wants black rims, maybe I'll give it another shot someday.

It will most likely end with me being disappointed, sandpaper and real paint.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So plasti dipped my rims matte black. I did the tail light too but it was too dark so I peaked it off. I ended up doing the grill, fog light bezel, rear bumper cover, and taillights all in white. Got it done just before it started dumping rain. I just ordered some new rotors and pads so while I’m doing those I’ll hit the calipers with white. Not plasti dip though 🙅🏻‍♂️. I’m sure it’ll get all melty. So I’ll try and find some white caliper paint. Now it’ll be a real ghost. I’ll post a pic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts