Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I had my Dart tuned for the first time a few days ago at the dodge service center. During this procedure, they replaced the spark plugs, cabin air filter, motor air filters, changed oil, rotated the tires, etc. It was a little more than just a tune up.

My Dart Specs:
1.4L Turbo Dart Rallye. @ 30k miles

Anyway, after the procedure was done, I noticed a few changes in my car immediately. I'm just curious if anyone can explain to me what may have caused these changes. Generally, I feel like the car has more power now, but the jerking concerns me.

1. The motor feels jerky when I accelerate hard, especially at high speeds. But really, I can notice it anytime I accelerate hard.
  2. The turbo is a lot louder. I used to only hear it when I accelerated a bit and then let off the accelerator at around 24 mph. However, now I notice it making a noise even when I mildly accelerate at 70 mph. I actually like the noise, though I'm trying to understand what they may have done to cause this to happen. Does anyone know?
  3. It seems to have a bit more power, but maybe this is just me imagining it because I can hear the turbo a lot better, or maybe the air filter change did it?

Thanks,
Chase

·
Registered
283 Posts
Holy crap you have to change the plugs at 30k miles on the 1.4? Nevermind I just looked in the manual and see it recommends 30k. Since I am ignorant to these small motors and force fed motors...is this typical of turbo motors?

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I'm changing my 1.4T plugs at closer to 20k.

Are you talking about turbo surges or "bucking" as the car is accelerating from 2nd to 3rd gear? I get these all the time, from inconsistent boost levels I guess. Have you done the wastegate mode yet, OP? It fixes the bucking a little bit.

Did they do any computer flashes?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would first check the air filter housing lid to see if it is loose, off, or not locked down. Also look to make sure they actually put an air filter back in and that it is not running without it, which could also make it louder. The air filter would have to have been pretty filthy to make a noticeable improvement in power and turbo noise more noticeable.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would first check the air filter housing lid to see if it is loose, off, or not locked down. Also look to make sure they actually put an air filter back in and that it is not running without it, which could also make it louder. The air filter would have to have been pretty filthy to make a noticeable improvement in power and turbo noise more noticeable.
I second this thought! Absolutely make sure the mechanic didn't forget to put a new filter in, and/or clip the cover back on..This happened to me once before with my previous car...and this is exactly what it sounds like to me as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey folks,

I had my Dart tuned for the first time a few days ago at the dodge service center. During this procedure, they replaced the spark plugs, cabin air filter, motor air filters, changed oil, rotated the tires, etc. It was a little more than just a tune up.

My Dart Specs:
1.4L Turbo Dart Rallye. @ 30k miles

Anyway, after the procedure was done, I noticed a few changes in my car immediately. I'm just curious if anyone can explain to me what may have caused these changes. Generally, I feel like the car has more power now, but the jerking concerns me.

1. The motor feels jerky when I accelerate hard, especially at high speeds. But really, I can notice it anytime I accelerate hard.
  2. The turbo is a lot louder. I used to only hear it when I accelerated a bit and then let off the accelerator at around 24 mph. However, now I notice it making a noise even when I mildly accelerate at 70 mph. I actually like the noise, though I'm trying to understand what they may have done to cause this to happen. Does anyone know?
  3. It seems to have a bit more power, but maybe this is just me imagining it because I can hear the turbo a lot better, or maybe the air filter change did it?

Thanks,
Chase
I know this might have been awhile but i have the same exact car and same exact problem just wondering if you ever fixed it and what exactly fixed it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts