Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums and google and didn't anything recent from their vendor account; sorry if I don't keep up enough as I'm not even sure if that's still active. I ordered a part from them over three weeks ago and haven't received any updates. I emailed them at the 2.5-week mark but received no response. Just wanted to know if anyone knew whether they were still up and running given our current climate in the US before I called in tomorrow.

I noticed that the website changed and there is a tiny bit of chaos going on with the links. I believe that they may have a Facebook page but I'm not on Facebook. Just trying to get my lightweight crank pulley so that I can do it and the water pump pulley at the same time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Modern Performance has a water pump and crank pulley set. Try them, they are really good about answering your questions quickly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops, nevermind. Package arrived just now, an hour after my post. I actually already have the Modern Performance waterpump pulley, and NOW I have my RRM crank pulley to go with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC, RRM's crank pulley was lighter while Modern Performance's water pump pulley was less expensive... but I may have that backward. I did my research and made my notes early on then did my shopping later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Shooter_Q, I too have the Road Race Motorsports lightweight pulley on my 2013 Dart. It was an easy install. Here they are side by each.
Feb 16 - 2018 (4).jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice. I haven't opened the packaging yet. How was the change in driving for you?

How long have you had it installed? Any trouble?

I'm not the savviest car person, but it perplexes me as to why lighter parts don't come stock if there aren't any downsides. Surely less material can't be more expensive, or can it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curiously enough, mine doesn't look like yours at all. Perhaps you have the 1.4L? I have a 2.4L. I wanted to compare it to the website's photo, but it seems to be down at the moment.

As an update to the original post, it appears RRM sent the package only four days after I ordered, but just didn't provide any follow-up emails, possibly due to their site issues. However, the address they used was my billing address (different from my actual location) and USPS handled the re-routing, hence the delay. I double-checked the initial invoice and I did have my home listed for the shipping.

A small mistake and certainly nothing I haven't done before myself. So I'm glad to know RRM is still in business.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I'm not the savviest car person, but it perplexes me as to why lighter parts don't come stock if there aren't any downsides. Surely less material can't be more expensive, or can it?
In this situation it's a matter of steel price versus aluminum price. Aluminum is about $1.35 per pound while Steel is only $0.25 to $0.40 per pound.

·
Premium Member
3,890 Posts
In this situation it's a matter of steel price versus aluminum price. Aluminum is about $1.35 per pound while Steel is only $0.25 to $0.40 per pound.
times volume of cars produced. "hey boss i can save us 100k over the manufacturing life of this" There are engineers who jobs are to do that exact type of calculation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, I see. Certainly makes more sense once you think about it with production volume in mind.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My dads a mechanic. All the time argues with me, if it actually worked, why didn't they do it from the factory lol. Exactly like you said, its cheaper to make steel than aluminum

·
Registered
18 Posts
Shooter, you are correct, my pulley is for the 1.4 turbo engine.
It wasn't too bad to install.
Pull back the passenger side inner fender (no need to take it right off, it's plastic so I just pulled it back to gain access to the front of the engine).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's some pics.....
The first one shows the passenger side wheel well area exposed to get at the pulley.
The second is the new one installed.
Feb 16 - 2018 (2).jpg
Feb 16 - 2018 (8).jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installed both pulleys yesterday and had the spark plugs changed. Along with the new rear engine mount, it drives like a completely different car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts