Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the spec ... I'm over 40 (though my posting skills may seem more toddler-ish) I've owned 4 brand new vehicles in my life time, with the 2013 Dart SXT 1.4T 6spd/Man w/Aero as my Dec 15th damned near gun to head buy now purchase.

Next the rub ... I'm technical .. been in the computer field for more than 20 years, I *get* how things work ... and get frustrated that the "rest of you" either don't get it, or don't see the importance for multiple views, equal respect and the like.. I've already read a hand full of posts here that suggest a "get use to it" mentality which is also a pet peeve ... I mean after all.. we've just sunk 18k to 25k into a car purchase ... and by 2013 we should expect to get something with only minor flaws that shouldn't come from design flaw 101 mistakes.

Of my peeves with my car.. head lights have a "shade" or "shutters" type of light limit .. the light is so directional that no light leaks above X inch height from in front of the car .. this makes for a horrible view when using regular / low beam mode. In highbeam mode, the lights are as expected.. but until now .. with more than 30 years of driving experience I've never felt the need to drive with my highbeams on.. just to be able to see ...

lowbeam.jpg

And this is highbeam
highbeam.jpg

These are untouched ... and the hot/white area is from gravel & dirt ...

I've also read so far.. someone posting they wish they could have brighter LED's in the console ... I wish they could go dimmer ... If you're not familiar ... the more *light noise* entering your eyes at night .. the lesser the distance you see. (in idiot speak, dim your interior lights kiddies, so that you can see farther and then you won't need to have your highbeams on all the time, pissing off the other drivers blinded by your highbeams)

The next major peeve is the auto-dimming mirror .... the whole purpose of having a day/night lever, is to cut the amount of light reflected from the mirror into the drivers eyes ... while the sensors themselves may work perfectly, they don't work if they take away the driver's *manual* control.

Why is manual control necessary? Ever get light headaches? not mild headaches, I mean headaches caused by light sensitivity.. and then there's the position of the rear facing sensor, and the amount of light that must strike it, to activate .. and when it activates takes 2 to 3 seconds to fully dim, and that's IF it goes fully dim because the sensor may not be "bothered" by the light 3/4ths of a mile behind you .. but *I* or *YOU* the driver might ....

and a manual ON/FullDim, OFF, and Auto button .. would the cost of adding one three way toggle button really hurt dodge/chrysler *that* much?

My next peeve ... the horn .. its lagging response .. sometimes not responding at all if doing a "short" beep ... and inconsistent response if trying to *double* short beep ... 1 short beep, no beep, delayed double beep, long beep instead of two short ones.. etc.

Last.. though certainly not the least.. Dealerships.. my god do I have one of the worst when it comes to technical stuff.. if I were to have purchased a dart .. I should have purchased it from a dealership an hour away... rather than my home town .. two weeks ago I take the car in for a flash of the ecm/body modules ... I get the car back .. now the speed sensitive door locks don't ... the keyfob which had been 1 press for all doors unlocked is now two presses (which is probably what it *should have been originally*) is now operating the opposite..

I would have expected that when flashing the firmware ... there would have been instructions to *backup current user preferences first* ... so that the user preferences can be re-set/re-sent to the ECM after the flash ... thus the supposed "user" choices to have DTRL off, or Hill Assist Off ... or speed sensing locks on ... etc.. would be pushed *back* into the user preference registers..

.. but as should be obvious.. that did *not* happen.. and hence as soon as I finish typing here.. I'm off to the dealer..

I do wish this board had more of the "how to's" for those user preferences... if I do get any.. I'll share.. although I know some of them are in the menus of the 8.4Uconnect touch screen enabled cars.. but if you're stuck with the 200RAE radio ... you don't get *those* options..

anyway.. above are my issues.. I'm not happy.. maybe because I'm not dumb enough to ignore some glaring issues ... though I did buy this thing so how smart can I be.. :(

-TG2

·
Registered
94 Posts
First off I agree with your sentiments in the post. I posted once were someone stated but its a first year car you should expect some problems, my reply was I did not pay in first year dollars.

For the auto dimming mirror YES you nailed that one.

My headlights are aimed so that I see great so maybe there is an alignment issue with yours. I can see much better with this car than either of my Jeeps or Truck.

For buyers remorse I think that will clear with you as the more I drive mine the more I appreciate the solid ride and great gas millage.

Question for you do you get good heat with yours, mine heats like crap and the dealer has yet to find anything wrong.

Cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question for you do you get good heat with yours, mine heats like crap and the dealer has yet to find anything wrong.
Cheers
ARG! thanks for reminding me :(

;)

I'm in Virginia ... its cold here right now.. not Minnesota/South or North Dakota cold .. but cold ... teens to 30 ... its an hour drive between work and home .. at night .. as the temps are falling .. and if I leave the fan on level 1, heat/cold fully to the right ... and on feet only ... by the time I get home.. I realize I'm not cold anymore ... if I turn the fan up to 2 or 3 .. I notice it gets warmer faster ... and I'm actually putting the fan back to level 1, and then sometimes adjusting the temperature knob to center (straight up between cold/hot) ....

I found that putting it to face & feet ... putting the facial fan vents so that they are not blowing on me .. that I feel the car warm up faster too.. but its nothing in heat as compared to opening the hood and touching that plastic shroud where the oil dipstick goes through .. that thing gets hot... if they pulled the outside air in over-top of that plastic shroud ... I'd bet then it would always be too hot..

so.. YES.. I've noticed doesn't heat well.

For the Jeep comparison ... my 2004 jeep liberty has a cooling/heating problem ... in that it never seems to properly keep water in the system and find during winter I have to add water to get heat. I know I should take it in, have it power flushed, and checked for blockages.. but I am *so* done with that POS jeep liberty. never again... that one jeep experience (and partly dealer faults again) has me turned off of their line all together.. the latest of which was jeeps' recall for the rear leafs ... if you're in a "salt belt" state ... funny.. I thought virginia *was* but not according to jeep. ;)

·
Registered
874 Posts
ARG! thanks for reminding me :(

;)

I'm in Virginia ... its cold here right now.. not Minnesota/South or North Dakota cold .. but cold ... teens to 30 ... its an hour drive between work and home .. at night .. as the temps are falling .. and if I leave the fan on level 1, heat/cold fully to the right ... and on feet only ... by the time I get home.. I realize I'm not cold anymore ... if I turn the fan up to 2 or 3 .. I notice it gets warmer faster ... and I'm actually putting the fan back to level 1, and then sometimes adjusting the temperature knob to center (straight up between cold/hot) ....

I found that putting it to face & feet ... putting the facial fan vents so that they are not blowing on me .. that I feel the car warm up faster too.. but its nothing in heat as compared to opening the hood and touching that plastic shroud where the oil dipstick goes through .. that thing gets hot... if they pulled the outside air in over-top of that plastic shroud ... I'd bet then it would always be too hot..

so.. YES.. I've noticed doesn't heat well.

For the Jeep comparison ... my 2004 jeep liberty has a cooling/heating problem ... in that it never seems to properly keep water in the system and find during winter I have to add water to get heat. I know I should take it in, have it power flushed, and checked for blockages.. but I am *so* done with that POS jeep liberty. never again... that one jeep experience (and partly dealer faults again) has me turned off of their line all together.. the latest of which was jeeps' recall for the rear leafs ... if you're in a "salt belt" state ... funny.. I thought virginia *was* but not according to jeep. ;)
I'm in northern VA and I also know the pain of the heating system I just leave mine on 3 or 4 face/feet and give it 20 minutes and your car is warm. It's just not burning hot coming from the vents like my other vehicles were. Where in VA are you?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DodgeDart

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in northern VA and I also know the pain of the heating system I just leave mine on 3 or 4 face/feet and give it 20 minutes and your car is warm. It's just not burning hot coming from the vents like my other vehicles were. Where in VA are you?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DodgeDart
You know how we have a "Northern Virginia"? ... I'd be "Western" Northern Virginia ... because "Northern Virginia" seems to stop somewhere around rt.15 in Haymarket ... or maybe pushes just past that to RT17 in Marshall .. and in 2002 I moved further west than marshall :)

and...

after 20 minutes on head & feet, while driving (rather than the car standing still "warming up") with the fan at 2 or 3 ... the upper vents feel nearly burning hot .. but the floor vents never seem to get that hot.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I can see the issues you bring up but they hardly seem like ones that should lead one to be "full of regret". The horn delay is annoying but really not that bug of a deal. The lack of a switch on the mirror was solved with rear window tint. And the headlights are largely personal preference I think. I have no problems with them and I drive regularly in the dark on two lane unmarked roads in hilly terrain. I also keep the dash lights at their lowest setting and they are plenty dim to keep from impairing vision.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you take a test drive?
I did .. but I didn't take it out 10 times, compare a list of "this can't be that way" or anything like that.. nor did I rent one for serveral days.. all of which cost time and money ... the "compare a list" my last purchase was in 2004 for the liberty ... it has an auto-day/night mirror, so I knew partly what I was in for there.. and am looking for a replacement mirror.

but the flip side ... its 2013 ... cars have been evolving since 1800's ... how long till they get it right? And once one thing is right .. why do they screw it up and call it progress?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I did .. but I didn't take it out 10 times, compare a list of "this can't be that way" or anything like that.. nor did I rent one for serveral days.. all of which cost time and money ... the "compare a list" my last purchase was in 2004 for the liberty ... it has an auto-day/night mirror, so I knew partly what I was in for there.. and am looking for a replacement mirror.

but the flip side ... its 2013 ... cars have been evolving since 1800's ... how long till they get it right? And once one thing is right .. why do they screw it up and call it progress?
I took the dart for two separate test drives and one was later so that I could see some of the features in darker scenarios. I also took probably 30 minutes sitting in the lot playing with the features and sitting in each seat. The lights and mirror would have been easily seen in an evening test drive. Thats all I meant by it.

Also remember that there are plenty of personal preferences that someone might think is stupid and someone else thinks it is great. One example is the auto up/down windows. I love the feature and hated having to hold the window up in my gto while driving...

·
Registered
153 Posts
In response to your issues, you seem to have some VERY large concerns with your vehicle that few (if any) others have brought up at this time. If that means that we are all stupid, thank you for alerting us to it. I'm sure that I can speak for us all in saying that we are more than happy for you to have enlightened us to our own shortcomings. While I do say that previous bit with a heavy bit of sarcasm, let me say in all seriousness. These things are preferences. What drives you crazy may not bother another person. It seems like you are quite particular. Generally speaking, I am particular as well. However, I have not had ANY of the issues that you have had. Everyone likes different things, hence there are different choices available when purchasing a new vehicle. It seems that you have already had your fair share of issues with a Mopar product (your Liberty). I have an '05 with the 6-Speed, which I love nearly as much as my Dart. Everyone likes and tolerates different things. Implying that others are "stupid" because they enjoy (or tolerate) things that you cannot is quite rude. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but perhaps you should be mindful of the things you are typing before you post. You are contributing to a Dart enthusiast site filled, mostly, with people who love their Darts. Frankly, I'm surprised that I'm the first person who has mentioned this in a reply.

To address your issues:

Headlights - Perhaps yours are not aimed correctly. My Limited (non-HID) has lights that are more than adequate in all driving situations. I have never felt that I needed the brights in a situation that I didn't warrant them.

LED Lights in FIB - I've driven with the LED lights off, dimmed, and bright. While I would not want them to be any brighter, I don't notice that the lights detract from visibility at all. If you do, turn them off. No need to berate others for something that you don't like.

Auto-Dimming Mirror - Is it annoying? Sure, but it sounds like you knew about this well in advance. Griping about a decision you consciously made seems a little silly.

Horn - I agree with you totally on this. The horn-lag is not only annoying but dangerous. Depending on your speed, you could be dead before your horn actually sounded. This is unfortunate, and I hope that it is addressed in the near future.

Dealer Concerns - Each dealer is different. Some are good, and some are bad. The dealer here in Bloomington is TERRIBLE. For that reason, I drive over an hour for any and all warranty work that needs to be done. I don't complain about it, though, because the service is exactly what I want. (Over and above the call) If I wanted mediocre service, I'd go to the mediocre dealer. Fact of the matter is that I don't. Hence, I make the trip to get the job done right. It's a minor inconvenience, but it's also out of my control.

Heater - I haven't had ANY heating/cooling issues with my Dart. It is notable that I have the automatic climate control. Generally speaking, I keep the system in auto. However, if needed, I will set the fan speed myself. There are SEVEN fan settings. It seems that you are only using the first three(?) If you feel those aren't adequate, perhaps you should increase the fan speed. Again, I live in Central Illinois where it is regularly colder than you are describing. I have had NO problems with heating or cooling.

My car has not been without issues, but I am understanding that it was made by humans who, like me, are less than perfect. For that reason, I try not to pout, complain, or get upset with others about it. At the end of the day, I love my Dart. It isn't perfect, but in comparison to its contenders, it's certainly a cut-above. I'm sorry if this long reply has left anyone with a bad taste in their mouth. As always, I don't wish to offend anyone at all. No one likes being called stupid, though. Especially if they're quite intelligent, as many of the people on this fine forum are. Let's all be mindful of this when posting.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have come to the realization that there will be things you don't like/ like about the car. You bought the Dart, it's a large purchase I would just try to enjoy it the best you can. I love my Dart, but personally have had a couple minor issues with it (gas tank door, weird startup once with remote, etc) It is my first car and will be running the Dart close to the ground. I do a lot of short distance driving so it is going to last my at least 4-5 years maybe more.

No matter what car you have there is always going to be something you find that you don't like with it. Even a $80,000+ car could have some things you don't like about it. This is just what I've came up on my own and instead of regretting the purchase I would try to look for all the good that you can. Remember for the cost of the car it is a really nice car and has a lot of great features.

This is my first car so I don't know how it is at other dealerships however 3 Chrysler/Dodge dealerships haven't impressed me so far. My favoite is pretty decent, but two of those three have used shady selling practices that is a story for another day haha I guess as I own other cars in the future I will see what other brands are like and be able to make a fair assessment of them. I don't expect any brand or car as mentioned to above to be perfect.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I hear you on the issues. I got to the point where I visited the dealer to see what else they had, and then I traded it in. Haven't looked back.

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
Dealer practices are being discussed at allpar, too. The problem is most of them are privately owned Dealers. I mean, I'm pretty sure the Chrysler-owned dealer in LA got shut down because it WAS owned by Chrysler. IDK what the whole story was there though. I, like most people who've had bad experience with dealers, would like to see some sort of reprimand for bad service by dealers. I think they should have their stock numbers cut or something if they're getting bad reviews etc.

Please also feel free to post in my Dealer Feedback thread. It's Where people can go to mark bad dealers/sales people and good ones.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Wisconsin, Green bay area. I have not noticed any of the problems you have stated. I'm 70 years old an have had a lot of new cars, the all seem to have had minor problems, nothing is ever perfect. All in all my ralye sxt 1.4 turbo 6spd manual is a great car and really fun to drive. Also the dealership i bought from is top notch.
Thanks.

·
Registered
915 Posts
sounds like you should of bought a smart car

Reactions: maxsteellimited
1 - 20 of 22 Posts