Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two weeks ago, I started getting a misfire in cylinder 4. I pulled the plugs and found that all 4 had oil on the electrodes. Think head gasket, I did a compression check and had good compression (170-180) across all 4. I changed the plugs and got the typical oil burn on startup but then it continued. Now, every time I start the car, I get a cloud. To top it off, I now have another misfire (cylinder 3.) Being that I have good compression, my oil is not milky, I have no coolant bubbling, and oil on the electrodes of all 4 plugs, I’m thinking something upstream of the cylinders. Could it be that my turbo is bad. To preface this, I had a CEL for boost pressure so to me, turbo makes sense. Anybody else have this issue? What was your fix?

·
Super Moderator
3,270 Posts
Spark plug tube seals are leaking oil. It's next to impossible for oil to be in your cylinders with good compression. When you pull a plug, that's when oil flows to the electrode and down the spark plug threads because it has pooled inside the tube. If you get enough oil in the tube, that will cause a misfire. You need to replace the valve cover gasket and tube seals.

What code are you getting for boost pressure?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I caution you about a good compression reading if you think you have oil in the cylinders. The oil can mask a low compression reading by sealing the rings.
Do you have oil in your intake near the throttle plates? You could have a bad PCV valve (those are cheap on the 2.4L). I have also had coil packs go bad and have replaced all 4 for good measure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
About two weeks ago, I started getting a misfire in cylinder 4. I pulled the plugs and found that all 4 had oil on the electrodes. Think head gasket, I did a compression check and had good compression (170-180) across all 4. I changed the plugs and got the typical oil burn on startup but then it continued. Now, every time I start the car, I get a cloud. To top it off, I now have another misfire (cylinder 3.) Being that I have good compression, my oil is not milky, I have no coolant bubbling, and oil on the electrodes of all 4 plugs, I’m thinking something upstream of the cylinders. Could it be that my turbo is bad. To preface this, I had a CEL for boost pressure so to me, turbo makes sense. Anybody else have this issue? What was your fix?
More than likely it's the valve cover gasket. I had the same issues and had the gasket replaced today and no more oil.. the part is about $25 and labor is about $140. I would strongly suggest taking it to a shop so you don't crack your valve cover torquing the bolts down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts