Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to my car insurer about my car repairs and they have said it’s too unsafe to be released to me to carry out repairs on. I’m presently assuming the frame damage that they’re concerned about is based on these two photos.. can someone please chime in and tell me if they believe the car is permanently a hazard owing to the compromising of my cars frame based off of what’s observable in the two pictures, thanks!?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,343 Posts
Bent rockers. Possible they were bent because improper lifting from previous service. Search the forum for bent rockers. It's very common and happens too often.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The insurance company is saying they can’t allow the car to be rebuilt because it’s been left in too unsafe a condition after my driving over a traffic island with it. I’m just unsure of what is so unsafe about it and the only photo I have indicating a frame issue is this one, so that’s what I’m asking about atm.?

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
I spoke to my car insurer about my car repairs and they have said it’s too unsafe to be released to me to carry out repairs on. I’m presently assuming the frame damage that they’re concerned about is based on these two photos.. can someone please chime in and tell me if they believe the car is permanently a hazard owing to the compromising of my cars frame based off of what’s observable in the two pictures, thanks!?
Your two pictures are of damage to the rocker panels, and no competent inspector would be likely to mistake them from structural damage. You're going to have to ask them what damage is causing it to be deemed unsalvageable, because nobody here can read their minds. They may provide you specific details or they may not. I doubt that their determination that the car cannot be safely rebuilt is subject to appeal, and definitely not on the basis of "I asked some people on the Internet". Hard as it is, you probably need to accept that this Dart's days of cruising the open road are over, take their money, and move on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That appears to be just have the outer skin bent. The structural part of the rocker is on the inside and is made of a high strength steel. There is a space between the outer skin and the structural part that is actually filled with foam, which can make repairs difficult. (You could catch the car on fire using a stud gun to pull it out.) The adjuster may have seen something else that he is referring to as structural, or he may be afraid there could be a liability issue down the road. If that is the only damage you could drive it as is without any problems.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went there again the other day now, and I spoke briefly to an adjuster that explained he believed when the control arm snapped it could possibly have bent the frame along with it at the arms mounting point. I also read some articles online and they say that rocker arm is part of the frame and damage there can weaken the cars crash worthiness. Is there something I’m missing!? THANKS

·
Registered
244 Posts
Most people would throw a party if their insurance company totaled their car. You get full retail price for it which is thousands more than you could ever get if you sold it yourself.

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
Most people would throw a party if their insurance company totaled their car. You get full retail price for it which is thousands more than you could ever get if you sold it yourself.
He wants the insurance company to total it and sell it back to him for dirt cheap with a salvage title so it can be put back together, but they're stating the car cannot be made roadworthy at all. OP explains why he's going this route in some of his posts (ruinous interest rates on a car loan due to poor credit).

·
Registered
244 Posts
As long as the insurance company nets at least as much selling it back to him as they would selling at a salvage auction, what do they care? Maybe he wants the car back to use as parts? What business is it of theirs what he does with the car? Something is missing from this story.

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
As long as the insurance company nets at least as much selling it back to him as they would selling at a salvage auction, what do they care? Maybe he wants the car back to use as parts? What business is it of theirs what he does with the car? Something is missing from this story.
I'm not sure what province he's in, but if he's in Ontario, there are 3 special "brands" that would apply to the vehicle:
  • Salvage: The car is undriveable and must be issued a Structural Inspection Certificate. It then becomes....
  • Rebuilt: The car is now eligible to be issued a Safety Standard Certificate, and once that is issued can be driven on public roads.
  • Irrepairable: The car can never be made road-worthy and can only be used for parts or scrap. This brand is permanent.
My guess is that the insurance company's assessor has deemed the car too damaged to ever be made safe again and their intention is to report it as Irrepairable to the Ministry of Transportation, at which point it's getting sold to a wrecker at auction to tear it down for parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts