Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SXT didnt come with the auto dimming rear view mirror but looking online you can get them for pretty cheap. So I was curious if you can install it if bought online. I got the mic in my so i know its wired but i dont know if its the same plug. Has anyone done this yet?

· Administrator
6,301 Posts
It does look like the auto dimming is self contained in the mirror and not part of a separate module. There should be a pink/yellow wire in the connector. Found this in Diagnostics.

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - AUTOMATIC DAY/NIGHT INSIDE MIRROR

For complete circuit diagrams, refer to the appropriate wiring information.

1.Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Unplug the wire harness connector from the automatic day/night mirror. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit cavity of the automatic day/night mirror wire harness connector. If OK, go to Step #2. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.

2.Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the automatic day/night mirror wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step #3. If not OK, repair the circuit to ground as required.

3.Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Set the parking brake. Place the transmission gear selector lever in the Reverse position. Check for battery voltage at the backup lamp switch output circuit cavity of the automatic day/night mirror wire harness connector. If OK, go to Step #4. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.

4.Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect the battery negative cable. Plug in the automatic day/night mirror wire harness connector. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Place the transmission gear selector lever in the Neutral position. Place the mirror switch in the On (the LED in the mirror switch is lighted) position. Cover the forward facing ambient photocell sensor to keep out any ambient light.

NOTE:
The ambient photocell sensor must be covered completely, so that no light reaches the sensor. Use a finger pressed tightly against the sensor, or cover the sensor completely with electrical tape.

5.Shine a light into the rearward facing headlamp photocell sensor. The mirror glass should darken. If OK, go to Step #6. If not OK, replace the faulty automatic day/night mirror unit.

6.With the mirror glass darkened, place the transmission gear selector lever in the Reverse position. The mirror should return to its normal reflectance. If not OK, replace the faulty automatic day/night mirror unit.

· Administrator
6,301 Posts
Removing the mirror:

TELEMATICS MIRROR

NOTE: View shown from exterior of the vehicle.

1.Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2.Using Trim Stick C-4755 , separate the mirror trim, harness trim covers and remove.

3.Disconnect the mirror harness connector (1).

4.Accessing through the vehicle interior, twist the mirror assembly (2) clockwise and release the mirror from the aluminum button attached to the windshield.

Line art Propeller Auto part Airplane Diagram

The SmartBeam mirror assembly does not require to be calibrated when installed.

· Registered
18 Posts
This is a 2 year old thread, but...I just bought a '16 Dart with a manual mirror with a mic. Just tried to swap in an auto mirror with a mic and found the harness connector is completely different. Done this swap in other cars. Didn't expect to find this. Any info/advice? Thanks.

· Administrator
6,301 Posts
Are you sure the mirror you bought is for a Dart? I don't have the schematic or connector pinout. It might take getting lucky at a self serve junkyard.

· Registered
18 Posts
I was certain until I saw the connector. It's the same part number as what's called for a Dart, but one letter off on the revision; 57010495ab instead of 57010495ac. Maybe the connector is the difference? I don't think so tho because all the "ac" mirrors I see have the same connector as my "ab". Something else is I don't have the pink/yellow wire you describe above in the connector on my car. Perhaps if I fish up in the headliner there's another connector? Ugh...

· Administrator
6,301 Posts
Not sure why the connector is different. There could be other connectors in the headliner. Things like the humidity sensor, rain sensor, and the microphone. This is the only schematic I could find for the rearview mirror:

Can you post pics of the connectors or list wire colors?

· Registered
18 Posts
Here it is. All wires are purple with tracers except for a black wire which I presume is a ground but immediately became too lazy to ohm out when I realized the connector wasn't right. This stock mirror has Bluetooth mic and that's it. I pulled the sunglass holder out and looked around. No unused connectors.

Attachments

· Administrator
6,301 Posts
Do you have a pic of the new mirror connector? How many terminal cavities are there? If it indeed very different, this may require finding a junkyard donor for that harness section.

I looked through all the schematics I have and none mention the smart beam circuit. It's possible I missed that one when I subscribed to TechAuthority.com or FCA didn't print that one. The pinouts I don't have is the inline headliner/instrument panel connector and the inline instrument panel/mirror interior jumper connector.
I did find the hands free schematic to the microphone in the mirror.

Text Diagram Parallel Line Technical drawing

· Registered
18 Posts
I don't think I'm installing a smartbeam mirror. As I understand it, that's the automatic high beam switching system which includes an additional front facing sensor. I'm just putting in an auto dimming mirror. Looks like the same number of wires as my stock mirror. I would think I could get the right connector and repin it. Just gotta figure out which ones are for the mic, power, and ground.

Attachments

· Registered
554 Posts
I don't think I'm installing a smartbeam mirror. As I understand it, that's the automatic high beam switching system which includes an additional front facing sensor. I'm just putting in an auto dimming mirror. Looks like the same number of wires as my stock mirror. I would think I could get the right connector and repin it. Just gotta figure out which ones are for the mic, power, and ground.
I think he meant autodim circuit. But makes me wonder if autodim is just tied into the rest of the system so it shouldn't matter.. That's very odd but I wonder if maybe it was a 2014/2015 revision?

· Administrator
6,301 Posts
Actually neither the Auto-Dim nor the Smart Beam circuits are in any schematic. Most likely it's all internal to the mirror assembly. The different connectors are possibly because of a different vendor for each type of mirror. If the number and color of wires is the same, it should be just a matter of repining or splicing in the correct connector if the internal terminals are different.

Reactions: Dartanyion

· Administrator
6,301 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
If you look at my stock mirror, you can see the connector is imbedded in the neck of the mirror. I agree with you... it's probably just a peculiarity with the vendor who designed this particular variant. Unfortunately the wires aren't visible because of how they run through. I'm hopeful I'll find the same color wires as my new one when I take it apart. But not confident I can expose the connector without inadvertently breaking something. Hence the purchase of an expendable spare stock mirror.

I'll post up when I get the ringer disassembled.

· Administrator
6,301 Posts
Unfortunately, there is a major difference in that the premium does not have the two LIN bus wires. I sort of understand how the bus system works and this has me confused. There is another connector in the headliner that might be how the BCM gets the bus info?

View attachment 115840
Text Font Line Document Number

When you re-pin your connector, the unused wire terminal should be insulated with heat shrink tubing or a good quality vinyl tape like 3M 33+. It all may just work like it's supposed to.

The LIN bus:
Organ Diagram 3d modeling

1 - 20 of 60 Posts