Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 2013 2.0 sxt Dart just recently hit 93,000 and the engine had a mysterious coolant leak so i clamped the top radiator hose and it stopped. I went down to LA and back (850 miles round trip) but once i got to LA my car was having a rough idle and felt like it wanted to die. I parked the car and looked at the coolant and the tank was empty but not overheating. once i opened the cap about a quarter of the fluid came back so i topped it off and i kept going. I come back home and I accelerate and it sputters and throws on the CEL but then goes off once i let up. Ive attached a video of what it does the next morning. Ive pulled the plugs and cylinder 4 is wet and the spark plug is black af. Thank you guys so much for your help on this thread

video of cold startup. Video.mov

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
It's not a good idea to clamp off a radiator hose and run it that way. Get a compression check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
Ive called some shops and it looks like im going to have to sell my dart. They were all saying upwards of $2000. :( its a definite blown head. I still havent seen the milky oil but Ive started it every now and then with the spark disconnected in cylinder 4

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Back in the day, almost every 1st gen Neon needed a new head gasket because the original head gaskets were inadequate. The replacement was a multilayer steel gasket. It wasn't that hard to do, I actually have done 7 or 8 (lost count) of them myself. I know many others with little mechanical experience who did their own head gaskets. You don't even need to remove the engine, everything is on top. The gasket kit for the Neons was around $150 and resurfacing a head was about $60. It might be a bit more now but it can be done for probably less than $300. Even if you trade the Dart, you are going to end up with car payments that will be more than the repair costs if you have it done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive looked into repairing it myself but my apartment complex wont allow me to work on my vehicle otherwise Id be turning wrenches on it :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: its currently at the dodge dealership getting torn apart $1800 in just labor :( They said its a chance of a cracked head or block but i definitely dont have the signs of those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Final update: I got the car back from the dealer after discovering the block has some wear on it so they threw gaskets on ($2100) and it sounded normal. Driving it was still a tad slow on low end power ended up selling it to carmax

1 - 8 of 8 Posts