Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i own a 2014 Dodge Dart SXT that i just replaced the multiair actuator
Now my dart does not start, i have read some posts about doing the air purge and crank it till you get compression
But i have tried it for about 12 hours and nothing, i have spark
Did a compression test and i dont get nothing at all
I also read that taking the spark plugs out and cranking it so you dont fry the starter helps
But it is not doing it
I have a question- can i leave the compression tester in one of the spark plug holes and crank it till i see something, or will that damage the engine
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
The MultiAir is supposed to be installed with a special tool but it is possible to do it without the tool if you are careful. There are 3 warning notes in the FSM install instructions that you might want to check.

NOTE:
It is very important that the plungers of the VVAA are centered over the intake valve stem tips. When properly aligned, the VVAA will set down onto the cylinder head evenly and will not have a tendency to wobble when set onto the head.

NOTE:
The VVAA should sit relatively flush to cylinder head with no more then a 1 to 2 mm gap between the mating surfaces. An excessive gap indicates the VVAA is not seated properly.

NOTE:
The VVAA and oil temperature sensor wire harness connectors are similar. Verify that the oil temperature sensor wire harness connector is not inadvertently connected to a VVAA solenoid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The MultiAir is supposed to be installed with a special tool but it is possible to do it without the tool if you are careful. There are 3 warning notes in the FSM install instructions that you might want to check.

NOTE:
It is very important that the plungers of the VVAA are centered over the intake valve stem tips. When properly aligned, the VVAA will set down onto the cylinder head evenly and will not have a tendency to wobble when set onto the head.

NOTE:
The VVAA should sit relatively flush to cylinder head with no more then a 1 to 2 mm gap between the mating surfaces. An excessive gap indicates the VVAA is not seated properly.

NOTE:
The VVAA and oil temperature sensor wire harness connectors are similar. Verify that the oil temperature sensor wire harness connector is not inadvertently connected to a VVAA solenoid.
Thanks for the reply
I followed instructions carefully
Plus watched some videos before installing it also
I will check the connectors on the sensors tomorrow , will get back to you with that info

·
Super Moderator
5,156 Posts
There were several posts about starting an engine with a replacement MultiAir. Look up those if you haven't. I would think it could help once a cylinder gets some compression.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There were several posts about starting an engine with a replacement MultiAir. Look up those if you haven't. I would think it could help once a cylinder gets some compression.
Thank you, i have read a couple of them
They talk about cranking it till you get compression; they also talk about frying some starters
I don't want to do that, so i was hoping that maybe someone has done the cranking of the engine with the spark plugs out till they got compression
I am going to keep on trying it without the spark plugs and see if anything happens
Any advice, thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts