Dodge Dart Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Maybe you need a bigger hill? or have you tried to activate it? I read that if you repeat these steps you can turn it back on if you decide you want it again.
I enter a road from a business driveway where you have to stop, it's a blind spot. It's steep enough that many rear drives can't use it in the winter. It's just weird, as I'm pretty sure it didn't roll back the first times I stopped there. Now, it's like I'm in neutral.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
So, I figured out it was me. I didn't realize that you have to come to a complete stop with your foot on the brake in order for it to activate.

I don't notice any negative difference in take-off when it does activate, both ways seem the same to me.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
can someone tell me in two words what is hill assist??

·
Registered
127 Posts
1. I like the hill-start assist on my Challenger. Took a few days to get used to it, but now I can be kinda lazy and not worry about burning my clutch. Not trying to take off super fast when on a hill anyway.

2. Why would an automatic have hill-start?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Because the DDCT still technically operates like a manual transmission. My Smart ForTwo had what they called an Automated Manual transmission, which is essentially the same concept, and also had hill start assist.

KYRGYZ: Hill Start Assist is a feature present in more recent cars with manual transmissions (or any car with a clutch) that is there to prevent the car from rolling backwards when releasing the brake if you're stopped on a hill.

Tulex: Yea, you must be at a complete stop with your foot on the brake for HSA to kick in. And no, there won't be any detriment to how quickly you can get off the line with hill start assist active. It's been designed in such a way that basically as soon as there is power output from the engine, the brakes disengage.

Ryan: I... don't know how you managed to stall the car, but i can guarantee that it wasn't because of not being "prepared" for a "Long brake hold". The brakes disengage as soon as there is power to the wheels. If they held for the entire half-second or whatever duration the Dart's system is designed to hold the brakes for, there honestly would be no point whatsoever to even having created a system like Hill Start Assist. You'd either try to pull out too soon, and stall the car because of the brakes, or you wouldn't be giving it enough power, and wind up rolling backwards a bit anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
just tried it, i did it in my gravel drive way following the directions and it worked on the first try! feels a lot better now on a hill.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a hard time telling if it was on or off, my ESC light wouldn't flash after I completed the process. I think it may have to do partly because of the push button start as opposed to having a real key, but I cannot confirm this. I just tried the sequence a few times and then tested it out on a hill to see if it had actually turned off. In any case, thank you very much for posting this, the hill assist was really annoying to me.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts