Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

As I told you before, I needed some time to get all the tools needed and time to do this but here is a write-up and how-to for changing your rear brake rotors and pads on your Dodge Dart!

If you havent seen my other how-to for the front brake rotors and pads here's link! Please read through this how-to first as there are many similarities that will be shown! http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/showwiki.php?title=Misc:How+to+Replace+Front+Rotors+and+Pads+on+a+Dodge+Darthttp://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/showwiki.php?title=Misc:How+to+Replace+Front+Rotors+and+Pads+on+a+Dodge+Dart+Pt+2

First lets start off with all the tools and things you will need to accomplish this project quickly and correctly!

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

- (1) Rear brake Rotor and Pad kit for each side (Drivers and Passengers)

- 14MM & 19MM shallow Socket

- 14MM Wrench

- (For the caliper bracket bolts) either a T-50 INTERNAL torx socket or a 8MM allen socket

- Car jack

- Brake Cube (will show and explain later)

- Breaker Bar

- 3/16" or 5MM allen key

- Hammer (may or may not need)

- Torque wrench capable of both 32ft-lbs and 48ft-lbs

Before you start this procedure a quick note! For my manual drivers out there: Make sure to leave the car in gear when doing this so it doesn't roll away as you will need the e-brake to be released to do this!

Auto drivers: Just make sure you e-brake is not set and you should be good!

Here is a quick "Before" picture!
before.png

1. First you want to "break" the lugs using your 19MM socket and your breaker bar... (by that I mean just loosen the lugs, you don't want to excessively shake the car around once its up on the jack!)

2. You want to use one of the two factory jack points to lift the wheel you are working on about 3-5" off the ground... (The two factory jack points on the Dart are the pinch weld behind the rocker panel and then the frame under the car where the dealers or shops lift the car via a 4-point lift.)

3. Remove the lugs completely and then the wheel.

After steps 1-3 you should look like this!
1-3.png

Now, as I do not have jack stands that are small enough for this car I DO NOT recommend leaving the car sitting on the jack for this entire procedure... It is dangerous and if the jack fails the car will fall and potentially hurt or kill you!

Now you need to find your Caliper guide pin bolts!

The guide pin bolt are 14MM and look like this:
guidepin.png
(Please excuse this picture... it is a picture of the front guide pin bolts. But don't worry! they are the same size and position on the rear calipers!)

There are two of these guide pin bolts, One on top and one on the bottom of the caliper...

4. Using your 14MM Wrench on the top one and your 14MM socket on the bottom, loosen and remove both the top and bottom guide pin bolts. (Make sure to use a ratcheting wrench as you do NOT want to break these bolts! REMEMBER lefty, loosy... righty, tighty LOL)

5. After you have done #4 you can pull off the caliper... There is a gasket that holds the brake line in place, make sure to pull this out of its holder so you can move your caliper out of the way! (I just kinda hung the caliper on the rear spring and got it to stay, but anyway you can get it out of your way without putting stress on the lines should be fine!)

Here's the gasket bracket (I already removed the gasket in this picture, you can see it in the corner!)
gasket.png

6. Remove the pad clips from the brake pads by pulling them straight back towards the rear of the car. Then take out the pads.

After 4-6 you should look like this!
4-6.png

Next you need to remove the caliper bracket bolts, these can either be an 8MM allen head or a T-50 INTERNAL torx head... @youngsmith53 and @Bullfrog both found on their Darts they have Allen sockets... Mine happen to be the torx...

braketbolt.png

7. Remove BOTH top and bottom caliper bracket bolts. Then pull off the bracket and set aside.

8. Using your 3/16" or 5MM allen key remove the rotor retaining bolt.

9. Remove the old rotor. (You may need to tap the area on the rotor where it makes contact with the hub to get it loose)

10. Place the new rotor on and replace the rotor retaining bolt.

After 7-10 is finished you should look like this!
7-10.png

For Part 2 click HERE

1 - 1 of 1 Posts