Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to replace my front driver side hub/bearing assemby due to a stripped lug bolt hole. Thanks to a local tire shop....
I will try to be as discriptive as possible, this is a pretty straight forward job that any shadetree or wrench wrestler with a little common sence can do easily.
You DO NOT have to remove the ball joint and tie rod end. You do however have to remove the axle nut so make sure you have a new one ready.

As always be safe and use jack stands and wheel chocks, eye protection and ear protection if using an air ratchet.

1. First pre-loosen lugs if not using air. Jack up front end and use jack stand.
Remove wheel and inspect everything before starting.

2. Find the 2 caliper bracket bolts from behind. They are a 5/8" 12 point socket. (kobalt 12pnt socket set from Lowes) Remove the break caliper and tie it up to the spring so it don't damage the brake line.

3. Remove the retainer screw on the rotor, its a T30 bit. Than pull the rotor off, or in my case use a dead blow hammer to pop it off the corrosion.....

4. If you are just swapping rotors than stop here, clean everything up real nice and put your new shinny rotors on and reinstall everything in reverse.

5. The axle nut needs to come off, this took the longest for me. You need to pry out the two parts that are pinched in. Than with an impact and a 1 7/8 socket, remove the axle nut.

6. Look behind the knuckle and locate the 4 hub bolts. Remove them with your 7/16" 12 point socket. It is tight, they do rub a bit on the axle boot, but believe me they do come out and go back in just fine with no real effort.

7. Now this is where you may find a different way of removing the hub assembly from the knuckle, but I used a puller to push the axle spline out just a bit. Than gave a few dead blows to break it free. Once a small gap started between the hub and knuckle I used the puller as a handle and wiggled back n forth a couple times till the hub popped out. EASY!

8. Clean out the surface mating areas real good and clean off the axle splines. I added a tiny bit of grease to the splines inside the bearing before reinstalling. Slip the axle into the new hub/bearing while slidding it back in place into the knuckle. Make sure the splines are mating properly and you aren't pushing the axle back.

9. Reinstall the 4 hub bolts and finger tight them all evenly. Inspect that the axle splines entered the hub/bearing like it should. Remember to add some locktite to these 4 bolts for pease of mind. I don't know torque specs but I went by feel.... Trust me, it felt good....:p

10. Once you torque down the hub bolts, reinstall the axle nut and tighten it with your air tool. Again I don't know the torque spec but did it by feel. Once it is torqued, punch in the two sides as it was on the old nut.
My little punch wasn't doing it for me so I got out the ice chissle!!! :cool: Yes I have an ice chissle... It's Minnesota for Jeebus sakes.:D

11. Now you can reinstall you shinny new rotors or your old one... Which ever... ANd remember to reinstall the retainer bolt, again adding some locktite.

12. Inspect your brake pads before reinstalling your caliper. In my case, a year and a half, 74K miles of kickin ass with a modded Dart, my pads look pretty meaty still so Im not going to swap in the ones I got with my new rotors.
Torque down the 2 caliper bracket bolts from behind using your 5/8" 12 point socket. Than stand back and snap a picture of the awesome job you did all by yourself rather than paying some shop $250 only to strip out one of your lug holes on the new hub you just sweated over installing. Reinstall your wheel... Im not going any further because you know how to do that. DONE!!! :cool:

I was able to complete this job in about an hour or so. Honestly no swearing was needed surprisingly!

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
You did a great job here buddy! Keep up the good works!

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
@Bad_Haggis the links aren't broken, Photobucket is just trying to make him spend $400 to upgrade his "account" and be able to post pics on sites other than photobucket. They tried the same thing with me and I deleted my account.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts