Dodge Dart Forum banner

How to install racetrack lights

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  cjff237 
#1 · (Edited)
The racetrack lighting install is a relatively easy modification you can do on your Dart. Estimated time to completion 30 to 60 minutes.
The only tools required are a 5/16" deep socket, and a trim tool...preferably the one pictured below with a forked end, it is particularly useful.

Turquoise Tool

So first things first...open your trunk. I recommend taking this opportunity to clean out your trunk, as if any fittings you accidentally drop will very likely fall into your trunk. You don't want to be digging through the stuff in your trunk to find tiny fittings.

If there is no carpet lining on your trunk lid, you can skip down to Step 2.

STEP 1: Carpet lining removal

There are two inserts covering the reverse bulbs for replacement. These are relatively simple to remove with just your hands.
Grey Floor Silver Granite Flooring

Technology Asphalt Electronic device Auto part Automotive exterior

Next up, the rectangular bumpers near the edge of the trunk lid. I removed mine with just my hands, but you may opt for the trim tool if you want.
Automotive exterior Technology Electronic device

Finally, those evil tree plugs. There are quite a few of them, use the forked trim tool on them for best effectiveness. The only ones that are truly a bother are the two very near the hinges. They do not necessarily need to be taken out of the carpet lining, as there are little wings on them to keep them in the carpet lining.
Miniature

The lining should be very loose as you remove the last of the tree plugs, work it out around the emergency pull handle and the hinges.
Vehicle Hood Auto part Car Automotive exterior

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
STEP 2: Removal of racetrack light

First, you must unclip and remove the electrical connector by pressing the clips lock as shown below.
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Hand

After disconnecting, the plug attached to the trunk lid must be removed from the trunk lid. It is attached by TWO tree plugs on it's back, so use that forked trim tool again to remove the plug from the trunk lid.

There are 9 nuts that need to be removed with the 5/16" deep socket, three are easily visible as shown below.
Room Auto part Vehicle Ceiling

The next four are interesting; there are two next to each of the reverse lights, permanently connected to plastic wedges. Keep note of their orientation and placement as you remove them.
Wire Cable Technology Electrical wiring Electronic device

Tire Automotive wheel system Wheel Automotive tire Auto part

The last two nuts are less noticeable, only visible through the large access holes in the trunk lid frame. These should be removed last instead of the nuts attached to those plastic wedges as the amount of pressure on the wedges may cause them to break.
Technology Vehicle door Electronic device Audio equipment Vehicle
Photography

Now that all attachments of the racetrack assembly have been removed, carefully remove the assembly from the trunk lid, being careful of the wires dangling. You may want to take this opportunity to clean behind the assembly, and possibly touch-up any worn areas of paint. However, keep in mind when opening and closing the trunk now it will open MUCH faster without so much weight in it, so use that remote fob and catch it before it fully opens on it's own, the springs have a lot of force.
Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car

Installation is reverse of removal; I only have a few notes... if you had the carpet lining: take note of the position of the emergency pull handle. Pictured below is how the handle should be positioned on the plastic protrusion as the carpet lining is being re-installed.
Eyewear Personal protective equipment Cable

One final note is do NOT overtighten the nuts, you probably noticed that they were not all that tight when you removed them. This is to allow for expansion and contraction of the plastic through the weather seasons.

So if all went well...enjoy your new racetrack lighting! I really hope this has been useful.

Car Automotive exterior Vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

#5 ·
@SmokyOwl, awesome pictorials! We love members like you.

#8 ·
Thanks for the support! I had fun doing this write-up, I'll probablly do it again sometime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.