Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when jacking front wheel in air and turning wheel lock to lock with minor force i can see the whole engine and transmission move back and forth as the wheel gets stopped in rotation from transmission. i was down there looking for any reasons why i have a minor vibration in pedal and steering wheel and a slight noise that is more pronounced when barely turning the wheel left on highway. wheel bearing seems fine as wheel has no play and nothing seems out of place. is there a better way to test or inspect the motor mount or does this sound normal?

·
Super Moderator
3,270 Posts
Open the hood and try to rock the engine from the top. If it seems easy, the rear mount is likely torn as well as the other mounts. The mounts on the Dart seem prone to fail. The noise when you rotate the wheel is normal, just the play in the differential. Get the Deyeme mounts if you replace them yourself.
With car on the ground, see if you can get movement when trying to rock the wheel north to south. A bearing going bad may not rock right away but the noise when slightly moving the steering wheel is usually a bearing.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
There's no point in "inspecting" the rear mount. Even if it isn't torn, it's a piece of garbage that does nothing to keep the engine from rotating, which misaligns everything. I'm pretty sure Dodge did this because the 1.4T at least is rough-running at low engine speeds, especially under load (I don't know about the 2.0 or 2.4 personally). Replacing it with a Deyeme mount should be the first thing any new Dart owner does. You stop noticing the low-speed vibration quickly and the engine and transmission are a lot happier. The side mounts absolutely can fail, though, since they are basically rubber bags filled with oil. The slight vibration you're feeling could also be a bad ball joint. I used to have a slight vibration like you describe at certain speeds that went away when I replaced the control arm (the ball joint was identified as bad when I went to have the car aligned). Come to think of it, have you had the tires balanced? Unbalanced wheels are probably the most common cause of vibration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I swapped it with a poly mount. It made a huge difference in vibrations and jerkiness. The old one tore open and the fluid drained out, stock is junk.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
I swapped it with a poly mount. It made a huge difference in vibrations and jerkiness. The old one tore open and the fluid drained out, stock is junk.
What mount are you talking about? The rear mount is a metal frame with some rubber holding the metal center piece. It is a piece of garbage, but is not fluid filled.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
I believe only the side mounts are fluid filled, the rear is just poly filled.
The OEM rear mount isn't "filled" at all. It has bits of rubber connecting the outer (stationary) part of the mount to the inner (moveable) part that the engine is bolted to. The Deyeme rear mount is fully filled with poly, unless you bought the billet one, in which case it's a solid block of metal that does not allow for any engine rotation at all. The OEM side mounts are hydro mounts with some kind of fluid in them. In theory this is a good design, since fluid will give a firm feel without transmitting much vibration, but that all falls apart when they leak, which is not uncommon. They Deyeme side mounts are also solid poly-filled units, though I have not replaced those on my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts