Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking at a bunch of different sites and mods for the dart aero that I recently purchased, it’s a automatic. I found a couple of things that will put me near 300 whp and I feel like coming from 160hp is a huge jump do y’all think the trans and engine can handle 300hp?

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
With all the problems the DDCT gets with the 1.4 stock, you will want to have a few spare DDCTs on hand. I believe the Fiat Abarth went with a Aisin 6 speed automatic in 2015 which tells you Fiat didn't even think the DDCT could handle the extra oomph of the Abarth version 1.4.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
With all the problems the DDCT gets with the 1.4 stock, you will want to have a few spare DDCTs on hand. I believe the Fiat Abarth went with a Aisin 6 speed automatic in 2015 which tells you Fiat didn't even think the DDCT could handle the extra oomph of the Abarth version 1.4.
The C635 DDCT is rated for 350 N-m (258 lb-ft) of torque. The Aisin AW60T-6F25 used in all Fiat 1.4T models (500 Abarth, 500 Turbo, all 124 models, and 500L) is only rated for 250 N-m (184 lb-ft). It offers no performance advantages over the C635 DDCT, and in the only vehicle to have used both transmissions (the 500L), the big difference is a drop in fuel economy with the Aisin transmission. I believe the choice of the Aisin slushbox in the Fiat 1.4T models had more to do with North Americans just not liking the feel of the C635 DDCT in the Dart and 500L. The automatic versions of these vehicles were developed pretty much exclusively for North American buyers and are not as performance-oriented as the manual offerings.

The Alfa Romeo 4C and second-generation Giulietta Quadrifoglio Verde, which both use the Alfa Romeo 1750 TBI engine (aka 1.7T) putting out 251 lb-ft of torque, use the C635 DDCT (though they call it TCT for Twin-Clutch Transmission) as their only available transmission. Both of these are decidedly performance-oriented cars.

All that said, no, it probably won't survive at 300hp, but the C635 DDCT has plenty of room for increased power over the 184 lb-ft the OEM Dart 1.4T generates.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts