Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Dart Limited with the 2.0 auto combo. I bought it Jan 2013. I now have 78,000 miles on it and so far my brakes seem fine. Both my dealer and the tire shop examined my brakes and said they were fine and still had life left. I do mostly highway miles but I have never had a car's original brakes last this long. I'm kind of suspicious. lol I'm also kind of a proactive person when it comes to car maintenance and tempted to just change the front pads and rotors before they get bad as I am more than happy with the miles I got out of the original brakes. What would you guys do? Anyone else get this kind of brake life?

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
I have a 2013 Dart Limited with the 2.0 auto combo. I bought it Jan 2013. I now have 78,000 miles on it and so far my brakes seem fine. Both my dealer and the tire shop examined my brakes and said they were fine and still had life left. I do mostly highway miles but I have never had a car's original brakes last this long. I'm kind of suspicious. lol I'm also kind of a proactive person when it comes to car maintenance and tempted to just change the front pads and rotors before they get bad as I am more than happy with the miles I got out of the original brakes. What would you guys do? Anyone else get this kind of brake life?
Glad to hear some good news. Not only about your brakes but that you have mechanics that aren't trying to sell you something you don't need. I would think that the dealership would be more than happy to replace your brakes even if they didn't need it. So the fact that you have two shops telling you that your brakes don't need to be replaced, I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace them. I have 40k on my OE brakes and hope they last much longer $$$$$$ :)

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Mine are still good at 48,000 miles. When I took my wheels off this summer I couldn't get over how large the rotors are for a vehicle of this size. That likely has a lot to do with it. Our Darts may be under-powered but they're definitely over-braked (if that's a word).

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Mine are still good at 48,000 miles. When I took my wheels off this summer I couldn't get over how large the rotors are for a vehicle of this size. That likely has a lot to do with it. Our Darts may be under-powered but they're definitely over-braked (if that's a word).
Good brakes, good chassis, good suspension, good looks, lots of creature comforts........what could possibly be missing.........????? :question:

·
Registered
698 Posts
The only problem I have with my brake is the inside of the rotor are rusting since I don't drive a lot which will burn the pads quicker. So when I will need to change the pads I might need to change eveything...

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
I still have the factory brakes on mine, and I just rolled 150,000 the other day. My commute is mostly highway, but they seem to still be holding up really well. It's one of the things on my list that I'm sure I'll need to replace soon

·
Registered
162 Posts
125,000 miles on original brakes. Work very well but I am easy on them and I don't do a lot of stop and go driving.

·
Registered
94 Posts
50 k on mine so far but i have a warped set of rotors "my fault". so as soon as it warms up a bit i have a box from rock auto and will do all four wheels.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was actually starting to wonder about this myself. I just hit 22k on mine, looks like I have plenty of life on mine, since I do mostly highway driving on mine, and the two guys that said that have over 129k on theirs, lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
just an update the vibration was neither the hubs or the rotors. it was the 30,000 mile good year assurances inner sidewall separation. this is the last set of any goodyear tire i will ever buy. i could have been killed i was only a few miles away from a catastrophic failure. 2 year old tires are not supposed to do this.
breaks still have about 40,000 miles left on them. so the dart wins and goodyear gets one huge fail.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I typically don't have to replace the pads for a very long time and I mostly use engine breaking. I haven't checked my pads in about 20k, but last time I looked, they were looking pretty good.

However, just yesterday I had to hit the brakes hard on the freeway, and found out the hard way I have warped rotors. Luckily there wasn't any serious issue, but now I'm shopping for a set of Rotors. So far the selection is abysmally cheap junk, or something I would consider to be reasonable for use that is just extremely overpriced. So far a pair of decent rotors for just the front is looking to cost more than it cost me to do the pads and rotors/drums all the way around on my Vue.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I typically don't have to replace the pads for a very long time and I mostly use engine breaking. I haven't checked my pads in about 20k, but last time I looked, they were looking pretty good.

However, just yesterday I had to hit the brakes hard on the freeway, and found out the hard way I have warped rotors. Luckily there wasn't any serious issue, but now I'm shopping for a set of Rotors. So far the selection is abysmally cheap junk, or something I would consider to be reasonable for use that is just extremely overpriced. So far a pair of decent rotors for just the front is looking to cost more than it cost me to do the pads and rotors/drums all the way around on my Vue.
Have you looked into the brakemotive drilled/slotted kit? I know it's on eBay which may be a red flag for some people, but many of our members have used them with great results. They also have a strong following with the corvettes. If they do the job for a corvette then I trust it for the dart. They're listed for $160 for the complete kit and I've seen them as low as $130 when there's a sale

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yes, I found that right after posting here. Definitely going to take a look. I'm not a huge fan of having drilled rotors because they tend to crack easier, but it's not like I haven't run them before.
That set looks like an awesome deal, and based on the reviews and information from our members in the other thread, I'll most likely end up getting them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used a BrakeMotive kit on my 88 Firebird, and never had any issues with them. I am going to go with them again when it comes time to do brakes on the Dart.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quick question for anyone who has the extended warranty

I have my first set of brakes covered by the dealership. If the life of my brakes exceeds the warranty bumper to bumper, I will still receive the free first replacement of wear parts? Ie, brakes, wipers, etc etc.

·
Premium Member
2,199 Posts
Quick question for anyone who has the extended warranty

I have my first set of brakes covered by the dealership. If the life of my brakes exceeds the warranty bumper to bumper, I will still receive the free first replacement of wear parts? Ie, brakes, wipers, etc etc.
Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 12.52.20 PM.png
Looks like those items are only covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles

1 - 20 of 32 Posts