Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t own my ‘13 Dart SE anymore but I’m looking at some on Craigslist and Offerup and they seem to almost all be automatics. I was wondering if any of y’all would recommend staying away from automatic Darts? I’m just asking in case I go to see one, end up buying it, and a week later the trans starts slipping or something happens. Thanks and feel free to take this post down if there’s already enough posts on this topic

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've got 124,000 on my '13 Dart w/AT and the only repair I've had to do is motor mounts.

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
Just make sure it's not a 1.4L turbo with a DDCT.

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts
Why's that? Sorry, but I've been out of the game for a WHILE, so I know I missed something.
For no apparent reason, the DDCT will fail. Crazy expensive to fix.

Reactions: xXNickisXx

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
271 Posts
The regular automatic is pretty decent - a very low failure rate, especially compared to other front-wheel-drive Chrysler/Dodge vehicles. The DDCT is terrible as far as reliability goes. Of course, I would pick a 6-speed manual over either one any day.

·
Registered
857 Posts
For no apparent reason, the DDCT will fail. Crazy expensive to fix.
I'm still rolling in my 1.4 w/ the DDCT so far so good. <knock on wood> 117K. I did a drain and fill on the fluid around 80 or 90K miles I'd have to look back and my records. But aware that if it fails I may as well junk the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don’t own my ‘13 Dart SE anymore but I’m looking at some on Craigslist and Offerup and they seem to almost all be automatics. I was wondering if any of y’all would recommend staying away from automatic Darts? I’m just asking in case I go to see one, end up buying it, and a week later the trans starts slipping or something happens. Thanks and feel free to take this post down if there’s already enough posts on this topic
Bought my wife a `14 Limited new in 2014, and i was actually hesitant to purchase a Limited due to it being the only transmission offered on the Limited. We have enjoyed very good service out of this Dart and no problems whatsoever with the transmission. The odometer now reads 246K miles and overall the car is and has been just great. We can count on one hand all the problems we have experienced with the Dart. One thing worth noting, i do note there is some slack, free play of one sort or another in the drivetrain now, when you lift your foot from the throttle and quickly reapply it you feel something of a mild jerk as it takes up that slack, but i should stress that it is very slight. I suspect a CV joint is wearing to the point there is enough slack in it to show up this way, but that is a guess. It will have to get a lot worse before I would bother with it. I expect my wife to drive this Dart another three years to work and back before she retires. It is almost 50 miles to her job, then 50 more miles home. That is the main reason for the high mileage at this point. Hopefully if you get a used Dart with an automatic it will serve you well too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought my wife a `14 Limited new in 2014, and i was actually hesitant to purchase a Limited due to it being the only transmission offered on the Limited. We have enjoyed very good service out of this Dart and no problems whatsoever with the transmission. The odometer now reads 246K miles and overall the car is and has been just great. We can count on one hand all the problems we have experienced with the Dart. One thing worth noting, i do note there is some slack, free play of one sort or another in the drivetrain now, when you lift your foot from the throttle and quickly reapply it you feel something of a mild jerk as it takes up that slack, but i should stress that it is very slight. I suspect a CV joint is wearing to the point there is enough slack in it to show up this way, but that is a guess. It will have to get a lot worse before I would bother with it. I expect my wife to drive this Dart another three years to work and back before she retires. It is almost 50 miles to her job, then 50 more miles home. That is the main reason for the high mileage at this point. Hopefully if you get a used Dart with an automatic it will serve you well too.
Check transmission fluid level also. If it's low it'll simulate bad suspension/driveline parts

·
Registered
3 Posts
258K miles on my 2015 Dart GT. Only had regular oil and tire changes. Shocks/struts all replaced last summer, which has been the only real issue because of all the potholes here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
258K miles on my 2015 Dart GT. Only had regular oil and tire changes. Shocks/struts all replaced last summer, which has been the only real issue because of all the potholes here.
Nice. I do ride-sharing so it takes a beaten. Speed bumps and potholes all day long

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check transmission fluid level also. If it's low it'll simulate bad suspension/driveline parts
Does this thing have a transmission dip stick? My `05 Jeep did not have one, it came with it but Jeep cut it off just below the cap during the in-service. I was told the Jeep headquarters issued that order. I confess i have never tried to look for a stick on this one but i will go out and check it if i can. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does this thing have a transmission dip stick? My `05 Jeep did not have one, it came with it but Jeep cut it off just below the cap during the in-service. I was told the Jeep headquarters issued that order. I confess i have never tried to look for a stick on this one but i will go out and check it if i can. Thanks for the tip!
You have to buy one
Cylinder Office supplies Metal Tool Font

·
Super Moderator
4,899 Posts

Reactions: xXNickisXx
1 - 16 of 16 Posts