Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting a 2013, 2.0, 6 speed auto(not double clutch) sxt with 140,000km(90,000 miles)

It looks in good condition with regular servicing and its a good price.
I need my car for work and any down time for repairs will cost me a lot of money. I have done a bit of research and the 2.0 seems to be the most reliable engine and the the 6 speed auto seems to be the most reliable transmission.

I have read a lot of problems from bad motor mounts, oil pressure sensors, not being able to put gas in, many recalls and service bulletins, and general electrical issues. If i spend an extra $2,000 on a similar mileage civic I know it will be reliable. Im wondering if i take the gamble to save $2000 and get the dart if i will regret it.

Is it foolish to think i can get to 120,000 miles without too many problems?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
As any vehicle gets older, there will be things that need to be replaced. This is true no matter who the the manufacturer is. Do you do your own maintenance and repair? If so, it doesn't matter what you buy. If not, look for a new vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As any vehicle gets older, there will be things that need to be replaced. This is true no matter who the the manufacturer is. Do you do your own maintenance and repair? If so, it doesn't matter what you buy. If not, look for a new vehicle.
Good point, i have an 8th gen civic now which has been problem free for the last year. I do all my own maintenance. Before the civic i had a diesel smart car. It got 62 real world MPG but every week something would break: Leave for work and a door handle would break, coolant pump leak, exhaust recirc valve clogged, steering rack seized up, clutch actuator fail, glow plug controller failed(in a cold winter), broken suspension spring, constant headlights burning out(had to remove front bumper and quarter panel area to change). Any engine work required the engine to come out of the car(tucked in the back) and that really drained my time, the bolts were made of cheese so any work was uber frustrating. And there were other normal things like a new battery, key battery, tires, regular servicing. After about 2 months of constant problems i went out and bought a civic.

@alpinegreenneon Your knowledge of these cars is very impressive, i have been looking through threads and your replies are excellent.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The Dart will not give you problems like that Smart car. However, expect things like wheel bearings, rear calipers, engine mounts, and front struts/rear shocks. Spark plugs, brakes, trans fluid, and oil change are normal for any higher mileage vehicle.
Bring your OBD scanner along to make sure there are no codes.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Im looking at getting a 2013, 2.0, 6 speed auto(not double clutch) sxt with 140,000km(90,000 miles)

It looks in good condition with regular servicing and its a good price.
I need my car for work and any down time for repairs will cost me a lot of money. I have done a bit of research and the 2.0 seems to be the most reliable engine and the the 6 speed auto seems to be the most reliable transmission.

I have read a lot of problems from bad motor mounts, oil pressure sensors, not being able to put gas in, many recalls and service bulletins, and general electrical issues. If i spend an extra $2,000 on a similar mileage civic I know it will be reliable. Im wondering if i take the gamble to save $2000 and get the dart if i will regret it.

Is it foolish to think i can get to 120,000 miles without too many problems?
120,000 miles on a 2.0 is nothing. It will pass 200,000 easily.

·
Super Moderator
4,769 Posts
cYeah the 2.0 will probably give you very little head aches if you take care of it and maybe put a little bit of money into it initially to make sure the preventative maintenance is taken care of like spark plugs, trans fluid, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, im glad to see the consensus is good because i bought the car. :) Its white with the racetrack tail lights

It needs new front brake rotors, and front left caliper is sticking a bit(so rebuild). The engine seems to vibrate a bit much at idle (engine mounts as needed), it needs minor body work(paint chips mostly). I just got back from the parts store to price things out.

My list so far is:
Drilled front brake rotors and pads($120)
Caliper rebuild ($15)
Oil change and trans fluid change ($70)
Colour match paint, filler, and clear coat ($40)
4 cans of black plastidip ($100)
20% tint for rear window and read door windows ($40)
Paint headlight shroud black and install angel eye DRL's ($40)
total($425)

As for the wheels im not sure if i should go with black or white. My goal is something like this members dart:

Any recommendation to which spark plugs these cars like?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Engine mounts are a common failure point on these cars. Deyeme racing sells aftermarket filled mounts in the choice of flex or firm, if you wish to go that route. There are 3 mounts total...a left, right, and rear.

Another common failure point is the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just leave the car all white and leave the rims the way they are, I think it looks great now. Also, if you start having any electrical issues, inspect the main body wiring harness. Not sure of the 2013's but, the 2014's and 15's had main body wiring harnesses that were damaged, out of the factory.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
120,000 miles on a 2.0 is nothing. It will pass 200,000 easily.
The 2.0 automatic drivetrain should be fine, it's the rest of the Dart that might become troublesome, especially for somebody who doesn't want to do their own wrenching. Darts are pretty high-maintenance vehicles even when they aren't high-mileage. I've never actually recommended a Dart to anybody I know, because I don't know any people not on these forums that would enjoy one. If I did recommend one, though, it would probably be a low-mileage Dart SE automatic.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The 2.0 automatic drivetrain should be fine, it's the rest of the Dart that might become troublesome, especially for somebody who doesn't want to do their own wrenching. Darts are pretty high-maintenance vehicles even when they aren't high-mileage. I've never actually recommended a Dart to anybody I know, because I don't know any people not on these forums that would enjoy one. If I did recommend one, though, it would probably be a low-mileage Dart SE automatic.
I have yet to have a major issue in 6 years. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
I have yet to have a major issue in 6 years. YMMV.
Oh, I haven't had anything too terrible happen to my Dart (it's never left me stranded), but still, it hasn't had zero issues, and they would have added up to a good chunk of coin if I paid somebody to fix them. Also, I've never owned a car that was in perfect condition but couldn't actually be aligned to OEM specifications. The rear wheels on my car are at the limit of their toe adjustment yet are still a hair away from being within spec.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I gave the car an ATF drain and fill, oil change and a quick inspection. The bottom cover was missing; The ATF drain and fill took 20 minutes flat and was painfully easy. I suspect the ATF had never been replaced. You could probably go to 150,000km before changing the fluid on a 2.0 but that would be the absolute max. After i changed it the shifting was noticeably better. I will do another drain and fill in 3000km to get more of the old fluid out. Then I will do 1 drain and fill every 30,000km. It is super easy and only costs $20 of fluid.
ATF fluid(red/dark brown)

Drain Bolt

My main concern was the engine oil, it looked like diesel engine oil. Very Black and visibly filled with dirt, I suspect it hasn't been changed in at least 3 years with normal use on the car. My only solace is that it had a fram ultrasynthetic filter which is rated to 20,000 miles(32,000km) i have never pushed an oil filter to even half of that before but im hoping the rating means something. Even after the oil and filter change, the new oil looks dirty on the dipstick(the inside of the engine must be super dirty). I will do another oil change in 3,000km along with the ATF. The oil change took about 20 mins. Both jobs(atf+oil) were super easy and I would recommend doing them if your unsure. The car was driving perfectly and quietly before the fluid changes. After, it shifts better and runs a little smoother(less vibration).

I was freaking out about the engine mounts, the polyurethane ones cost $600+ CAD for the set. I would recommend people get the soft ones if you want a simple bolt on solution. I saw some liquid polyurethane for suspension bushings for $40 cad shipped. I was going to buy that and clean up my old bushings before filling them with polyurethane. So if your trying to fix the engine mounts on the cheap that is a good solution. It turns out i don't need them yet so i will wait.

I plastidipped the hood and side mirrors(protect dip 2.0), it took 2 cans.

Im going to plastidip the roof, grill, and trunk today(i have 4 more cans), Ill try to get the 20% tint installed soon(rear drivers window wont go down, rear passenger window needed the reset trick to make them go up and down), and ill swap out the cabin air filter, i suspect that hasn't been changed since 2013 so ill take a pic of that too. Im considering getting new ceramic brake pads and rotors all around for $160 cad shipped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Either the transmission bolt or level plug is leaking(from my fluid change 2 days ago). I will need to inspect and buy a new plug asap

The silver headlights with black grill looks good. I might not paint the headlight housing black.

ill get a 1 inch screw in antennae vs the 8 inch one in the car now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts