Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticewhen watching exhaust videos that the cars will have slightly higher rev but only for a very short period. When i start mine it stays revd at 2rpm for at least like 5 min or so then will die down to a normal low idle. Y??????

·
Super Moderator
3,290 Posts
The idle speed is controlled by the PCM. If it was not acting as programmed, it would throw a code. Drive right away and it won't be noticed. Sitting idling just wastes gas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The idle speed is controlled by the PCM. If it was not acting as programmed, it would throw a code. Drive right away and it won't be noticed. Sitting idling just wastes gas.
Ok. Sorry idk what u mean with PCM and throw a code. Could u explain. As in to where i would see the code

·
Super Moderator
3,290 Posts
PCM is the Power Control Module. It's the brains for your engine. It is programmed from the factory and it's able to tell when something is not right. A Check Engine Light (CEL) will come on your dash and stay on until it is fixed. If you have no CEL, there is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PCM is the Power Control Module. It's the brains for your engine. It is programmed from the factory and it's able to tell when something is not right. A Check Engine Light (CEL) will come on your dash and stay on until it is fixed. If you have no CEL, there is nothing wrong.
I do have a check engine light though. So im assuming i gotta get a "computer" hooked up to it to see what the issue is? Whats the thing called that plugs in under the dash to tell me whats wrong

·
Super Moderator
3,290 Posts
That is the DLC or Data Link Connector. You can have your codes read at almost any parts store. If you have no clue when it comes to mechanical or electrical problems, perhaps you should take it to someone that does.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the DLC or Data Link Connector. You can have your codes read at almost any parts store. If you have no clue when it comes to mechanical or electrical problems, perhaps you should take it to someone that does.
Im not the best when it comes to it but i have a decent idea. But thx bro i highly appreciate the help

·
Super Moderator
3,290 Posts
Let us know what codes you have. Get the numbers, not just the description. There are P or Powertrain codes, B or Body codes, C or Chassis codes, and U or network codes. The above prefixes will be followed by a series of numbers and or letters.

·
Super Moderator
4,803 Posts
Im not the best when it comes to it but i have a decent idea. But thx bro i highly appreciate the help
I do have a check engine light though. So im assuming i gotta get a "computer" hooked up to it to see what the issue is? Whats the thing called that plugs in under the dash to tell me whats wrong
The CEL could be anything. But sitting at 2k isn't out of the ordinary on a cold start. If it's doing that every time you start the car, even when it's warmed up (like going to the store and coming back out). The car has a natural high idle on cold start to help warm the car up quicker. But even if it's like -32 degrees out, it while idle high when you start, but as soon as you drive away and then come back to a stop, it usually goes right back to normal. So no need let it sit until it dies down. I think that is just the general programming since some darts have auto start and will let their car warm up. Also if they don't it's common that people let it "warm up". However you really only need to let it start for maybe a few seconds to let the oil get through the engine. Maybe a little longer like 15-30 seconds if it's absolutely fridged outside, but never really any longer than that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The CEL could be anything. But sitting at 2k isn't out of the ordinary on a cold start. If it's doing that every time you start the car, even when it's warmed up (like going to the store and coming back out). The car has a natural high idle on cold start to help warm the car up quicker. But even if it's like -32 degrees out, it while idle high when you start, but as soon as you drive away and then come back to a stop, it usually goes right back to normal. So no need let it sit until it dies down. I think that is just the general programming since some darts have auto start and will let their car warm up. Also if they don't it's common that people let it "warm up". However you really only need to let it start for maybe a few seconds to let the oil get through the engine. Maybe a little longer like 15-30 seconds if it's absolutely fridged outside, but never really any longer than that.
Ok cool. Thx bro. I just thought it was weird it sat at 2 for so long compaired to all the others ive seen

·
Super Moderator
3,290 Posts
If the thermostat is stuck open, it will take much longer to warm up and you would get a P0128 code. That would also likely keep the idle higher longer. We could guess all day so please get the codes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the thermostat is stuck open, it will take much longer to warm up and you would get a P0128 code. That would also likely keep the idle higher longer. We could guess all day so please get the codes.
Im gonna try to stop some where today depending if i get off work early enough

1 - 12 of 12 Posts