Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
expand...
My 13 Dart sxt 1.4 now has over 236,000 miles. It's had the tranny rebuilt once (ddct automatic). The a-arms, sway bar links, shocks/struts, ac evaporator, blower motor, valve cover gasket/tube seals, plugs/coil packs, timing belt, accessory belt, oil separator seal, brake pads and rotors is what all has been replaced to see this amount of miles. Engine still runs great and still averages close to 28 to 30 mpg with no check engine lights. Doesn't use hardly any oil and still on original turbo. Oil and filter has been changed religiously every 4000 mile with pennzoil platinum euro 5w-40 most of its life and a few changes with castrol edge 5w-40. Considering the amount of miles and the fact it's also driven commercially as an uber car by my fiancé its been an excellent car. Seems like I've done a lot to it but when you consider 236,000 miles -not really.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
My 2013 Dart LIMITED (with 1.4L MultiAir Turbo & C635 6-speed Manual) currently has almost 224,000 miles on the odometer.

I ordered it in July of 2012 and took possession of it in August of 2012 ... and knowing I was going to put at least 300K miles on it, I opted to purchase FCA's "LIFETIME MAXIMUM CARE" (LWMXN - $0 deductible) Service Contract.

For the most part, my Dart has been "Trouble-Free" ... the only $$$ out of my pocket has been for normal maintenance & wear items (e.g., oil & filter cartridge changes, cabin filter replacement, K&N air filter clean / recharge, spark plugs, replaced brake rotors, & it's on its third set of tires).

At 61K, the turbocharger and the clutch master cylinder were replaced under the "lifetime warranty" (i.e., no cost to me & I got a free loaner vehicle).

At 146K, I paid to replace the timing belt, belt tensioner, serpentine belt, & water pump ... and the radiator & misc. items were replaced under the "lifetime warranty" (i.e., no cost to me & I got a free loaner vehicle).

At 105K, 116K, 118K, & 159K; an individual ignition coil was replaced under the "lifetime warranty" (i.e., no cost to me & I got a free loaner vehicle) ... and yes, I asked them to just replace all four, but the warranty wouldn't pay to replace them if they hadn't failed yet.

At 196K, I paid to replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, & clutch release bearing.

As for gas mileage: For the first ~210K, my daily commute included sitting in lots of stop & go traffic ... so I was averaging 32MPG per tank ... but this past year, traffic on my commute has been pretty light (due to the pandemic) and my average MPG per tank has been a bit better:

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 13 Dart sxt 1.4 now has over 236,000 miles. It's had the tranny rebuilt once (ddct automatic). The a-arms, sway bar links, shocks/struts, ac evaporator, blower motor, valve cover gasket/tube seals, plugs/coil packs, timing belt, accessory belt, oil separator seal, brake pads and rotors is what all has been replaced to see this amount of miles. Engine still runs great and still averages close to 28 to 30 mpg with no check engine lights. Doesn't use hardly any oil and still on original turbo. Oil and filter has been changed religiously every 4000 mile with pennzoil platinum euro 5w-40 most of its life and a few changes with castrol edge 5w-40. Considering the amount of miles and the fact it's also driven commercially as an uber car by my fiancé its been an excellent car. Seems like I've done a lot to it but when you consider 236,000 miles -not really.
Jeez louize broda

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2013 Dart LIMITED (with 1.4L MultiAir Turbo & C635 6-speed Manual) currently has almost 224,000 miles on the odometer.

I ordered it in July of 2012 and took possession of it in August of 2012 ... and knowing I was going to put at least 300K miles on it, I opted to purchase FCA's "LIFETIME MAXIMUM CARE" (LWMXN - $0 deductible) Service Contract.

For the most part, my Dart has been "Trouble-Free" ... the only $$$ out of my pocket has been for normal maintenance & wear items (e.g., oil & filter cartridge changes, cabin filter replacement, K&N air filter clean / recharge, spark plugs, replaced brake rotors, & it's on its third set of tires).

At 61K, the turbocharger and the clutch master cylinder were replaced under the "lifetime warranty" (i.e., no cost to me & I got a free loaner vehicle).

At 146K, I paid to replace the timing belt, belt tensioner, serpentine belt, & water pump ... and the radiator & misc. items were replaced under the "lifetime warranty" (i.e., no cost to me & I got a free loaner vehicle).

At 105K, 116K, 118K, & 159K; an individual ignition coil was replaced under the "lifetime warranty" (i.e., no cost to me & I got a free loaner vehicle) ... and yes, I asked them to just replace all four, but the warranty wouldn't pay to replace them if they hadn't failed yet.

At 196K, I paid to replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, & clutch release bearing.

As for gas mileage: For the first ~210K, my daily commute included sitting in lots of stop & go traffic ... so I was averaging 32MPG per tank ... but this past year, traffic on my commute has been pretty light (due to the pandemic) and my average MPG per tank has been a bit better:

View attachment 127213
looks great dude keep her going

·
Registered
23 Posts
Our `14 Dart Limited now has 223K miles and it has been nearly trouble free. I replaced the left front wheel bearing with a new Moog at 150K or so, the starter solenoid failed at 164K and i replaced it with a used one from Ebay (junkyard) and then rebuilt the OEM starter assy, and placed it on the shelf where i will likely never use it of course. I replaced the water pump at about 200K. The brake pads have been changed twice, both times i put Wagner Ceramic, best ones i could get. I replaced the accessory drive belt twice, the spark plugs with Irridium NGKs twice and once with Nippondenso Irridiums. We use Mobil1 0W-20 and Wix synthetic filters, with a K&N drop in air filter. We only burn name brand premium 93 or 94 octane gasoline, and that makes a difference. We never have fuel pump failures and never have to have our fuel system/injectors or throttle body cleaned, flushed serviced. I also replaced the shifter cable bushing somewhere before 175K or so; very easily done, and very inexpensive too. Just recently FCA sent me a recall for the 2.4L Darts that is supposed to help curtail oil consumption. We don't have much trouble with ours, but we went by the dealer and let them flash the PCM, only took thirty minutes or less. I am unsure what that did to change anything, it runs as good as ever and i expect it could not hurt anything to we went ahead with it. With all the miles we have i figured a free PCM flash would surely include a few updates, and hopefully it will improve things a bit.
I expect to have to change the struts/shocks soon, as with this many miles and living on a dirt road they are basically about worn out. When we were at the dealer ship last week, once the service sales/advisor got a look at the odometer, he called a few of his buddies and salesmen and so forth to come out and see the car. My wife has kept the Dart in great shape, and everything still works well on the car.

Mopars-Only

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our `14 Dart Limited now has 223K miles and it has been nearly trouble free. I replaced the left front wheel bearing with a new Moog at 150K or so, the starter solenoid failed at 164K and i replaced it with a used one from Ebay (junkyard) and then rebuilt the OEM starter assy, and placed it on the shelf where i will likely never use it of course. I replaced the water pump at about 200K. The brake pads have been changed twice, both times i put Wagner Ceramic, best ones i could get. I replaced the accessory drive belt twice, the spark plugs with Irridium NGKs twice and once with Nippondenso Irridiums. We use Mobil1 0W-20 and Wix synthetic filters, with a K&N drop in air filter. We only burn name brand premium 93 or 94 octane gasoline, and that makes a difference. We never have fuel pump failures and never have to have our fuel system/injectors or throttle body cleaned, flushed serviced. I also replaced the shifter cable bushing somewhere before 175K or so; very easily done, and very inexpensive too. Just recently FCA sent me a recall for the 2.4L Darts that is supposed to help curtail oil consumption. We don't have much trouble with ours, but we went by the dealer and let them flash the PCM, only took thirty minutes or less. I am unsure what that did to change anything, it runs as good as ever and i expect it could not hurt anything to we went ahead with it. With all the miles we have i figured a free PCM flash would surely include a few updates, and hopefully it will improve things a bit.
I expect to have to change the struts/shocks soon, as with this many miles and living on a dirt road they are basically about worn out. When we were at the dealer ship last week, once the service sales/advisor got a look at the odometer, he called a few of his buddies and salesmen and so forth to come out and see the car. My wife has kept the Dart in great shape, and everything still works well on the car.

Mopars-Only
Which state are you in? It seems like you should have replaced your shocks a long time ago especially on dirt roads where there are potholes that really punish your suspension system. Plus you may want to upgrade to a thicker air filter to keep the dust particles out of your engine, simply becuase the K&N air filter is thinner and gives more air flow to the engine. Just saying. Shout out to your wife though for treating the vehicle with care :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Which state are you in? It seems like you should have replaced your shocks a long time ago especially on dirt roads where there are potholes that really punish your suspension system. Plus you may want to upgrade to a thicker air filter to keep the dust particles out of your engine, simply becuase the K&N air filter is thinner and gives more air flow to the engine. Just saying. Shout out to your wife though for treating the vehicle with care :)
Buddies of mine told me that the USMC and US Army learned in the jihadi wars that fine dust gets through paper filters simply because it is basically a sieve and has tiny holes to allow air through, but stops most dirt and dust because it is normally larger particles. The govt switched to K&Ns on every helo and truck and so forth for that reason. They were loosing engine bearings, rings, and even choppers due to crashes from failed engines. K&N is far superior in dust. I am told all offroad racers run K&Ns too. I know there was a famous Duramax study saying K&Ns are no good, but then, Duramax is GM and GM sells AC filters. They are hardly an unbiased source. It is worth noting, i generally keep a car ten years and 300K miles. If my K&Ns did not do a great job, i could not do that could i? This Dart does not yet use any appreciable amount of oil.
I expect to change the shocks soon, but they still do a good job in most cases, but as i said, i will expect to change them soon. We are in north east Florida, very near Georgia, not far from the Atlantic. Yes i credit my wife with doing a great job to care for our vehicles, she really does do her part. I always tell everyone she takes great care of our car, keeps the interior clean and is careful and does not abuse them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Buddies of mine told me that the USMC and US Army learned in the jihadi wars that fine dust gets through paper filters simply because it is basically a sieve and has tiny holes to allow air through, but stops most dirt and dust because it is normally larger particles. The govt switched to K&Ns on every helo and truck and so forth for that reason. They were loosing engine bearings, rings, and even choppers due to crashes from failed engines. K&N is far superior in dust. I am told all offroad racers run K&Ns too. I know there was a famous Duramax study saying K&Ns are no good, but then, Duramax is GM and GM sells AC filters. They are hardly an unbiased source. It is worth noting, i generally keep a car ten years and 300K miles. If my K&Ns did not do a great job, i could not do that could i? This Dart does not yet use any appreciable amount of oil.
I expect to change the shocks soon, but they still do a good job in most cases, but as i said, i will expect to change them soon. We are in north east Florida, very near Georgia, not far from the Atlantic. Yes i credit my wife with doing a great job to care for our vehicles, she really does do her part. I always tell everyone she takes great care of our car, keeps the interior clean and is careful and does not abuse them.
Simply amazing forum! Thank you for sharing that!

·
Registered
841 Posts
2013 SXT 1.4 with the DDCT. I bought the car in 2014, it had 16K miles on it. It was the newest car I ever owned. Never owned a car before that still had a factory powertrain warranty.

Since I bought it, I'm now at just over 111,xxx miles. I think for me I didn't beat the crap out of it on the road.

I do the oil every 4-5K miles. I use the Pennzoil Euro Platinum Synthetic with a Mopar or WIX oil filter. I have to buy it off Amazon cause nobody around me sells it. I only used the NGK Iridium plugs every 30K. I drained and filled the DDCT fluid around 80K miles using only the MOPAR fluid.

Other than that everything for the most part has just been routine. I've only changed the brakes one time since I've owned the car. Replaced all four coils at one time or another as well as had the classic coolant T-Fitting break. Everything else like the Turbo was fixed under powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
... It seems like you should have replaced your shocks a long time ago especially on dirt roads where there are potholes that really punish your suspension system...
FYI ...

I've got almost 225K miles on my Dart and have yet to replace my struts. While I don't drive on dirt roads, California has the second worst roads in the US ... and during my daily commute (on SR-84, I-580, I-680, I-880, and/or SR-237), I typically have to "dodge" (no pun intended) several potholes. In fact, just a few weeks ago (after a heavy rainstorm), I bottomed out on a pothole going ~65mph ... it sounded/felt like I ripped the suspension out of the car ... luckily, no harm done ... but it really got me thinking about replacing any worn suspension parts (including the struts) on my (high-mileage) Dart ... 'cuz we just replaced the ball joints & all 4 struts on my teenage son's Honda with 250K on the odometer.

I should also mention that I'm still running the original disc brake PADS (though I did replace all 4 brake ROTORS @ 78K due to warpage) ... though the last time I measured them, they were down to 4mm thickness ... so I anticipate I'll be replacing them soon (i.e., I always replace my disc brake pads at 3mm thickness).

As always ... YMMV ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts