Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone... .

There seems to be some mystery surrounding HID headlights for our Darts.

For everyone who has them they know how great they can be. For everyone who does not have them, I recommend you get them, one of the best upgrades for our cars.

2 of the kits that a lot of people seem to have is the one from either Xenon Supply or The Retrofit source.

Both of these seem to be great kits, I have the one from The Retrofit Source, the Mirimoto kit.

If you get either one of these kits I suggest you get the Bulb out canceler.

Or this one

I will be installing the one from The Retrofit as it seems to be a better quality item.

Here is a before and after pic that is pretty accurate.

before

after

Let me know if you guys have any questions and I will do what I can to answer them.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
i realize better headlights can help you driver safer at night, but all of my money is going to the area under my hood and under my car. there is just no room in the budget for "cosmetic" upgrades, even though i badly need to get my windows tinted. my dart has a long way to go in terms of taking in colder air, cooling that air, curing the pedal lag, helping the car breathe better.... one day i will get around how she looks on the outside :D

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
i realize better headlights can help you driver safer at night, but all of my money is going to the area under my hood and under my car. there is just no room in the budget for "cosmetic" upgrades, even though i badly need to get my windows tinted. my dart has a long way to go in terms of taking in colder air, cooling that air, curing the pedal lag, helping the car breathe better.... one day i will get around how she looks on the outside :D
This isn't a cosmetic upgrade, it's a SAFETY upgrade, trust me. The stock halogens suck really bad. You don't realize it until you put HIDs in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I drove my drunk friend's car home the other night and I was frantically trying to figure out why the headlights weren't on... Turns out they were on, I just couldn't tell because I was used to how bright the HIDs on my dart are. They really do make a difference, just don't get the 10,000k blue ones that are actually worse for light output.

Question for you: I also have the morimoto kit, but I still get the "bulb out" message every once in a while. Do you not get that message at all with your setup? If not, what parts did you use?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have always ran the retrofitsource HID kits. They have the best customer service hands down. Do our darts have haolgen projectors for the halogen versions and then HID projectors for the HID versions? Or is it the same housing assembly, and just one gets HIDs and the other Halogens?
I thought I had read on the forums that we actually have the best halogen bulbs on the market installed into our cars?

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
I have always ran the retrofitsource HID kits. They have the best customer service hands down. Do our darts have haolgen projectors for the halogen versions and then HID projectors for the HID versions? Or is it the same housing assembly, and just one gets HIDs and the other Halogens?
I thought I had read on the forums that we actually have the best halogen bulbs on the market installed into our cars?
They're different housings.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
Question for you: I also have the morimoto kit, but I still get the "bulb out" message every once in a while. Do you not get that message at all with your setup? If not, what parts did you use?
If this was directed at me (no quote or mention, so I'm not sure), then I will say that I do NOT have error messages for headlights out, ever. I don't use relays or error cancellers. I use a 50W CANBUS ballast (full sized, slim ballasts will still give the error) and that's it. I either can't find the site where I bought mine from (they were based in canada) or they are no longer around. I can find ballasts on eBay that look like mine from time-to-time, but they can be difficult to find.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They're different housings.
I thought so, I couldnt remember 100%.
Has anyone compared them? Generally halogen housings are a poor investment compared to dedicated HID housings....
How is your beam pattern and output? I do not have fog lights, so I am worried about missing all that foreground light that an HID housing would give back.
Has anyone retrofitted them?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If this was directed at me (no quote or mention, so I'm not sure), then I will say that I do NOT have error messages for headlights out, ever. I don't use relays or error cancellers. I use a 50W CANBUS ballast (full sized, slim ballasts will still give the error) and that's it. I either can't find the site where I bought mine from (they were based in canada) or they are no longer around. I can find ballasts on eBay that look like mine from time-to-time, but they can be difficult to find.
Sorry, it was mostly meant for the OP, I should have been clearer. I did see your posts a while back when I bought my HIDs and I was nearly convinced to get the CANBUS ballasts but I have a (possibly irrational) fear of buying things on eBay that I expect to work right. Everyone was saying thereftrofitsource ones were good quality (and they are) so I bought from them, but I just get that bulb out message maybe once every 5 times I drive. So I am curious if that problem is fixed (without having to buy new ballasts)

Has anyone compared them? Generally halogen housings are a poor investment compared to dedicated HID housings....
How is your beam pattern and output? I do not have fog lights, so I am worried about missing all that foreground light that an HID housing would give back.
I've never owned a vehicle with factory HIDs to compare to, but I would say they are acceptable in the halogen projectors. The cutoff seems fine, you can see when you are behind someone that you are lighting up the bottom of their car, but not shining in their windows. Output is great, but I have fog lights and I leave them on all the time, so I can't really tell you if you'd be lacking in foreground light. Basically they probably aren't as good as if you used a purpose build HID projector (otherwise i'm sure dodge would use the same housings for both) but I still think they are better than stock halogens, and miles better than if we were trying to use HIDs in reflector housings.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
The main thing you'll notice is the cutoff will be a little sharper in a HID housing. The stock housings already do a really good job of keep the HID beams where they need to be going.
The stock housings are very acceptable IMO. I couldn't possibly justify spending money on a retrofit when it's going to make such a small difference.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Perfect. That is what I was looking for. I was unsure how our design was, and they looked really similar to an HID projector....maybe not as high quality....but, similar.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The answer is in my Original post... you have to add the resistor to trick the computer into thinking there is a bulb there.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
After trying everything, I finally did what you suggested with the canbus ballasts. And they finally did work! These are the ones I ended up getting on ebay and they work perfect. :)

2X Canbus Error Free 35W Premium Digital AC HID Ballast Anti Flicker | eBay

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
The answer is in my Original post... you have to add the resistor to trick the computer into thinking there is a bulb there.
and that's not entirely true. I have the same kit, and the the resistors from them and it did not fix the issue. At least with the relay system i had in place. I just used canbus ballasts and got rid of all that mess of wires and all the errors. It was perfect. Click my link in the post above. That's what I use, and what my friend was using a couple months before me. He wanted HIDs without error and I had spare bulbs. So he got the ballasts to test them out and they have worked great so I ended up getting them.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts