Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the dodge dart as a whole (well kinda, ive had mine for about a year now), but I am especially new to HID lighting. While I do respect the stock halogen projectors, like everyone else on here, I just want more light.

So from what ive read on all these forums, it seems that most people have the best luck with 2 things: Quality (not slim) CANBUS ballasts, and quality HID xenon bulbs. Am I right in assuming that? Ive read into all the warning canceler and resistor hubla... but it doesn't really turn me on too much. From what ive read, CANBUS ballasts (and nothing else) seem to be the ticket.

So anyway, ive been shopping around on ebay and found a CANBUS ballast for something like $25 (for one, not two). It seemed awfully cheap to me, but it says it is one of the best ballasts out there for anti-flicker and error lights. Ill paste the link below. Has anyone heard of JDM ballasts, or are they any good?

Advanced JDM Canbus Ballast Error Free for BMW Mercedes Audi Dodge Jeep | eBay

I guess if anyone has any advice or any input regarding HIDs on our darts, that would be great. For the most part, I wanna stay away from warning cancellers and what not. Is that the right thing to do?

and why do I feel like doing ANYTHING to this car is just a PITA? I love my dart, but it is not a car to tinker with...

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
I am new to the dodge dart as a whole (well kinda, ive had mine for about a year now), but I am especially new to HID lighting. While I do respect the stock halogen projectors, like everyone else on here, I just want more light.

So from what ive read on all these forums, it seems that most people have the best luck with 2 things: Quality (not slim) CANBUS ballasts, and quality HID xenon bulbs. Am I right in assuming that? Ive read into all the warning canceler and resistor hubla... but it doesn't really turn me on too much. From what ive read, CANBUS ballasts (and nothing else) seem to be the ticket.

So anyway, ive been shopping around on ebay and found a CANBUS ballast for something like $25 (for one, not two). It seemed awfully cheap to me, but it says it is one of the best ballasts out there for anti-flicker and error lights. Ill paste the link below. Has anyone heard of JDM ballasts, or are they any good?

Advanced JDM Canbus Ballast Error Free for BMW Mercedes Audi Dodge Jeep | eBay

I guess if anyone has any advice or any input regarding HIDs on our darts, that would be great. For the most part, I wanna stay away from warning cancellers and what not. Is that the right thing to do?

and why do I feel like doing ANYTHING to this car is just a PITA? I love my dart, but it is not a car to tinker with...
Anything with "JDM" in the name is the best quality, top notch, and superior to all other brands! :haha: But i don't think this is the JDM as F yo! Type of jdm lol They could possibly work. They seem to have everything a slim canbus usually has. If they don't work just return them and tell them they didn't work lol you have 14 day grace period to get your money back.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I yanked my HIDs due to being more hassle than its worth. I did go with a slim non-canbus so I needed a relay. Than the relay didn't last. They fired right up even in below zero weather, but that damn relay tho.
Its all in what you want to deal with. Many have used the cheaper setups and many have used the good ones. It really depends on you budget and how much messing around you want to do. I may reinstall mine this spring but idk. Done dealing with light issues.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
I yanked my HIDs due to being more hassle than its worth. I did go with a slim non-canbus so I needed a relay. Than the relay didn't last. They fired right up even in below zero weather, but that damn relay tho.
Its all in what you want to deal with. Many have used the cheaper setups and many have used the good ones. It really depends on you budget and how much messing around you want to do. I may reinstall mine this spring but idk. Done dealing with light issues.
I'm rolling around in a 2015 200 as a loaner while my car gets looked at. First thing I thought. Hmmmm I wonder how hard it is to install HIDs on here :big smile: hahahaha I'll probably have it for a while. I the TheRetrofitSource kit sitting in my house. full ballasts, bulbs, relay, capacitors and resistors. lol "APPARENTLY" their kit got rid of the errors but i tried it before and never got that result. they have very good quality products. I just always had the error from time to time. I wanted to try it on the 200 cause my dart has stock HIDs now xD

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm rolling around in a 2015 200 as a loaner while my car gets looked at. First thing I thought. Hmmmm I wonder how hard it is to install HIDs on here :big smile: hahahaha I'll probably have it for a while. I the TheRetrofitSource kit sitting in my house. full ballasts, bulbs, relay, capacitors and resistors. lol "APPARENTLY" their kit got rid of the errors but i tried it before and never got that result. they have very good quality products. I just always had the error from time to time. I wanted to try it on the 200 cause my dart has stock HIDs now xD
Any kit running a harness WILL have the bulb out error. No way around it. The relay only has a signal wire for the driver side. That leaved the passenger side OEM plug hanging. The BCM sees it not being used and boom, bulb out.
I have a fix for mine if I ever decide to install again. I bought a clear Licite tube, 9006 LED fog balb, a 50W load resistor harness and an extension wire. I thought about mounting it in the bumper cover to light up my big ass intercooler. I've already tested it and it removed the light out warning.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
Any kit running a harness WILL have the bulb out error. No way around it. The relay only has a signal wire for the driver side. That leaved the passenger side OEM plug hanging. The BCM sees it not being used and boom, bulb out.
I have a fix for mine if I ever decide to install again. I bought a clear Licite tube, 9006 LED fog balb, a 50W load resistor harness and an extension wire. I thought about mounting it in the bumper cover to light up my big ass intercooler. I've already tested it and it removed the light out warning.
Well the kit has two resistors. One in line with the relay. The other directly into the oem input. So similar to your setup. Just no light lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"JDM" itself doesn't appeal to me, just because of what it means lol
I just figured id ask if anyone has used those ballasts. They look nice. Idk. Maybe ill just scrap the whole idea of HIDs. Half of the people on hear say it isn't worth it, the other half say its a must.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
"JDM" itself doesn't appeal to me, just because of what it means lol
I just figured id ask if anyone has used those ballasts. They look nice. Idk. Maybe ill just scrap the whole idea of HIDs. Half of the people on hear say it isn't worth it, the other half say its a must.
They say it's not worth it because they don't care about their lights and don't care to spend the amount on the right stuff. I'll never have a car without HIDs ever again. lol

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
I use the morimoto kit with can is relays. Gonna run u about 150/pair but I've never had an issue. All my cars have morimoto. If it's quality you want. They have that. The Retrofit Source Inc. They also have an eBay acct
My old dart never got rid of the error with their kit :crying: I agree the quality is awesome. But even with their mopar spec kit, resistors and their flipping diagram I never got it to work. My dart was a little drama queen when it came to HIDs. Always bitching and whining about low beam out. boo hoo. lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
The low bulb out message cannot be avoided. So it really doesn't matter which set you use. I bought CANbus ballast and bulbs off ebay for about $15 a piece. I have two headlight and fogs.
The low bulb will drive a person with OCD nutz!

·
Registered
334 Posts
My old dart never got rid of the error with their kit :crying: I agree the quality is awesome. But even with their mopar spec kit, resistors and their flipping diagram I never got it to work. My dart was a little drama queen when it came to HIDs. Always bitching and whining about low beam out. boo hoo. lol
I have their standalone canbus harnesses. I have no bulb out warnings ever. Can-Bus: Morimoto Standalone - Wire Harnesses - Components
I've never had luck with the standard relay harnesses with resisters horribly spliced in. These standalone systems work great. I have them in my Dart as well as my Avenger with no problems at all

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
I have their standalone canbus harnesses. I have no bulb out warnings ever. Can-Bus: Morimoto Standalone - Wire Harnesses - Components
I WAS WAITING FOR THAT! :D I never once have seen anyone post they owned this. I even contacted TRS themselves and they said oh no those are for the European vehicles. I paused and said... The dart is essentially European... hahahahaha They disagreed and said they had Dart owners using the relay and such without error. I will buy them and give them a try. Thanks :) This could be a break through for my friends wanting HIDs because now I don't need to send them all over the place to get parts. Bulbs at TRS, canbus ballasts at here or there or somewhere. Never found a reliable canbus yet that works well in the cold.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The low bulb out message cannot be avoided. So it really doesn't matter which set you use. I bought CANbus ballast and bulbs off ebay for about $15 a piece. I have two headlight and fogs.
I have to disagree with you on that. These canbus harnesses indeed get rid of the message as I've stated above

·
Registered
334 Posts
I WAS WAITING FOR THAT! :D I never once have seen anyone post they owned this. I even contacted TRS themselves and they said oh no those are for the European vehicles. I paused and said... The dart is essentially European... hahahahaha They disagreed and said they had Dart owners using the relay and such without error. I will buy them and give them a try. Thanks :) This could be a break through for my friends wanting HIDs because now I don't need to send them all over the place to get parts. Bulbs at TRS, canbus ballasts at here or there or somewhere. Never found a reliable canbus yet that works well in the cold.
. Yes these work great in the cold I've only had a misfire when it was negative temps out. And only one or two. This morning the dart said -18 and they fired great. And they install so much nicer than the standard wire harness

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
Very much false. There has been many successful attempts on here with the headlights. Including myself over the summer when I ran mine.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
. Yes these work great in the cold I've only had a misfire when it was negative temps out. And only one or two. This morning the dart said -18 and they fired great. And they install so much nicer than the standard wire harness
I'lll give them an order and try them out. My girlfriend has been complaining her canbus ballasts wont fire every time and still throw the error. She keeps nagging at me and I told her if she keeps it up she can figure them out on her own. lol I have stock HIDs now so I can't even test anymore :( Just on friends Darts, which I don't like doing. Cause I'm not there to actually see the results.

·
Super Moderator
4,840 Posts
Also, I see they have the 9006 harness. Did you plug that in reverse because it's 9006? I know I always had to do that for my 9006 bulbs, but never for my 9012. I know those things have capacitors in them. And if you never plugged one of those in backwards then let me tell you! It's frighting lol

·
Registered
334 Posts
Iirc you have to yes. But that's a mopar thing. I've done it on accident with these and nothing happens. The lights just do not fire.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts