Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone else has experienced these issues, but I've made an appointment for Friday (5/1/15):

1. Exhaust smell coming through vent. Mostly when a cold start and have the heat on...
2. Slight "pulsing" with acceleration mostly in lower gears when hitting power band
3. Significant body sway under REAL hard breaking as I noticed last night when a deer ran across the road.
4. Rear window not optically smooth. When I look in the rear-view mirror through the the rear window, it's almost like the glass is slightly "melted". That's the only way I can explain it...

I'm not upset about any of these issues and as this isn't my 1st new car, I expect that adjustments need to be made. After all, that's really what the 3/36 warranty is for. I'm just hoping to get a consensus from the group if there are common issues with resolutions I should mention to them. I think I recall seeing something about exhaust gaskets being pinched and/or missing and many threads about "preboost", but don't know if they are all related or not.

2014 Dart Aero 1.4l turbo manual nearing 2k miles

·
Banned
8,648 Posts
You should test drive other new Darts and see if they are all the same as you are experiencing. If so, its normal (except for the exhaust smell in your cabin).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that, but there aren't any new ones with a stick. It's a small, local dealer and they only have 4 Darts on the lot all together lol Eh, in any event, I'm having them check things out on Friday. I just didn't know if if there were any common issues...

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has experienced these issues, but I've made an appointment for Friday (5/1/15):

1. Exhaust smell coming through vent. Mostly when a cold start and have the heat on...
2. Slight "pulsing" with acceleration mostly in lower gears when hitting power band
3. Significant body sway under REAL hard breaking as I noticed last night when a deer ran across the road.
4. Rear window not optically smooth. When I look in the rear-view mirror through the the rear window, it's almost like the glass is slightly "melted". That's the only way I can explain it...

I'm not upset about any of these issues and as this isn't my 1st new car, I expect that adjustments need to be made. After all, that's really what the 3/36 warranty is for. I'm just hoping to get a consensus from the group if there are common issues with resolutions I should mention to them. I think I recall seeing something about exhaust gaskets being pinched and/or missing and many threads about "preboost", but don't know if they are all related or not.

2014 Dart Aero 1.4l turbo manual nearing 2k miles
My dart does #2, and that is only because the engine and the oil are not fully warm... that is what my good buddy (mechanic) told me, he said turbos are very temperamental when it comes to getting into the power band when still cold, thats why he will warm his car up before he drives even if its 95 degrees and humid...

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,437 Posts
My dart does #2, and that is only because the engine and the oil are not fully warm... that is what my good buddy (mechanic) told me, he said turbos are very temperamental when it comes to getting into the power band when still cold, thats why he will warm his car up before he drives even if its 95 degrees and humid...
I have driven my car 3x since getting it without letting it warm up. I always prime the engine for like 4 seconds, turn over, and wait the 30secs-1 minute for revs to drop to 1200 before moving. And then I don't do any WOT unless the 2nd light on the oil temp (TFT) is up and coolant above 140°.

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
I have driven my car 3x since getting it without letting it warm up. I always prime the engine for like 4 seconds, turn over, and wait the 30secs-1 minute for revs to drop to 1200 before moving. And then I don't do any WOT unless the 2nd light on the oil temp (TFT) is up and coolant above 140°.
That's definitely the correct way of doing it, but even at 1200rpm that's not full warm idle for our car. My buddies car idles at that cause he has racing cams and it has to idle higher to keep them moving. Have you noticed where your car idles after you drive around for a little while and it's completely warm?

Sent from my HTC M9 using DodgeDart

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe I'll see if they'll let me bomb around a little on Friday in a new or program Dart just to compare. This is my 3rd vehicle from them, they like to make me happy lol

As for warming up, I always go out in the AM, start it up, come back inside and then gather my laptop and whatever I need at work. It's usually warming up for 4 or 5 minutes before I jump in and go. When the engine is cold any other time, I start it then take care of whatever I need which could be putting groceries in the back or whatever. I know the worst thing anyone can do with a vehicle is take off with a cold engine and I try to avoid whenever possible :)

·
Premium Member
3,618 Posts
Maybe I'll see if they'll let me bomb around a little on Friday in a new or program Dart just to compare. This is my 3rd vehicle from them, they like to make me happy lol

As for warming up, I always go out in the AM, start it up, come back inside and then gather my laptop and whatever I need at work. It's usually warming up for 4 or 5 minutes before I jump in and go. When the engine is cold any other time, I start it then take care of whatever I need which could be putting groceries in the back or whatever. I know the worst thing anyone can do with a vehicle is take off with a cold engine and I try to avoid whenever possible :)
Of course, i do the same thing! but is the pulsing only happening at first? or does it constantly happen?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... but is the pulsing only happening at first? or does it constantly happen?
It's usually in 2nd and/or 3rd gear. I don't recall it happening in any other gear... Personally I will be surprised if if they can replicate it. I've tried to find some sort of consistency when it happens so I can be as descriptive as I can, but I could only give a generality that it's near the beginning of the power band in lower gears. I used to be a mechanic and HATED it when people would just say "it doesn't work, fix it". lol

·
Mopar 13 Moderator
5,437 Posts
That's definitely the correct way of doing it, but even at 1200rpm that's not full warm idle for our car. My buddies car idles at that cause he has racing cams and it has to idle higher to keep them moving. Have you noticed where your car idles after you drive around for a little while and it's completely warm?

Sent from my HTC M9 using DodgeDart
It's 800rpm, but I don't wait for that. Takes like 5 mins and I'm not into waiting that long.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a video camera or something that could leave on to record you driving & record it happen? like a GoPro or something?
Not a bad idea! I don't have a GoPro or anything like that, but I could just use my cell phone... Have to figure out how to mount it so that it sees the tach lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, it's at the dealer now and they gave me a base 2015 200 as a loaner... Very nice car! My left foot was bored all the way to work though lol

When I talked with the service manager about it in more detail and explained the "pulsing", he was thinking something with the turbo which immediately made me think of all the posts around about the wastegate adjustment. Guess I'll find out soon enough :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I love my dealer! Just received a call from them about it all and they are done for now...

(not in order from OP, but whatever lol)

1. I guess there were a bunch of updates for the computer which they flashed in. I'm hoping that it'll take care of that "pulsing" issue. The mechanic had a tough time replicating it, but said that it seems to have helped with drivability in general.

2. The rear window. They did notice exactly what I was trying to explain. When comparing it to other Darts on the lot, they all seemed to have some sort of optical issue, but the mechanic confirmed that mine was more severe. They are having a tough time taking a photo of it for Chrysler, but are going to bat for me on getting it replaced.

3. Exhaust odor. They found a pinched gasket between the turbo and downpipe. Can't recall if they replaced or just fixed, but will know when I see invoice. I'm wondering if there was a leak, if that would be a cause for the "pulsing" in #1? Hmmmm....

4. Body sway. Confirmed "mild" body sway (their term, not mine) under hard braking, but was told it wasn't unusual for the Aero due to the missing rear sway bar. I was driving a 2012 Chrysler 200 so I was used to something more planted I guess. The service manager however said that he's going to talk with the owner (who I know) about a deal where if I buy the parts needed, at their cost, they will install it for me at no cost. Maybe I'll get the rear sway bar and have it installed for under a c note. Maybe. I've said it above, this is my 3rd vehicle from this dealer (new 2012 200 and a program 2012 Town & Country) so they try and treat me right :)

Anyhow, I'll know how it's running when I pick it up after work and will report after I've driven it for a day or two.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Please post up your completed workorder. It will help the community.
Yup, I plan to just as soon as I get to work so I can scan it :)

I did misunderstand about the body sway. They did not confirm, they confirmed my suspicions about the lack of a sway bar probably causing what I experienced. If that makes any sense. I just can't understand why dodge would try to save 20ish pounds by eliminating it. Whatever, I'll just install it no matter what the dealer says about if they'll do it...

Oh, something unexpected too... I seem to have the tire pressure display back again and I didn't think it was supposed to be there on the aero. Who knows..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
9 Participants
DodgeCACares
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing