Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've noticed that there's quite a bit of hesitation in my Dart. From what I've read, other owners experience this problem while others don't. I brought my car to my local mechanic for an oil change and mentioned that the hesitation was horrible. About a year ago, I took my Dart to the dealer for this problem and they tried to tell me that it was my spark plugs. They also wanted to charge me $120 to test the car out. I'm not trying to put my Dart down, but it drives me nuts. Also, I don't want to mod my car with a tuner, lighter pulley, etc. Has anyone had luck with fixing this issue through Dodge?

·
Registered
809 Posts
What do you mean by hesitation? If you mean by giving it gas and not going then add a bit more gas, there's a happy medium to where it will downshift if you need to go quicker without going full throttle

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by hesitation? If you mean by giving it gas and not going then add a bit more gas, there's a happy medium to where it will downshift if you need to go quicker without going full throttle
I give it plenty of gas. It's the worst on inclines. Shouldn't have to give it that much gas for it to get moving.

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts
Hello everyone, I've noticed that there's quite a bit of hesitation in my Dart. From what I've read, other owners experience this problem while others don't. I brought my car to my local mechanic for an oil change and mentioned that the hesitation was horrible. About a year ago, I took my Dart to the dealer for this problem and they tried to tell me that it was my spark plugs. They also wanted to charge me $120 to test the car out. I'm not trying to put my Dart down, but it drives me nuts. Also, I don't want to mod my car with a tuner, lighter pulley, etc. Has anyone had luck with fixing this issue through Dodge?
What engine and transmission do you have, what is your current mileage, when was the last time the air filter and spark plugs were changed (if ever)? Also, can you describe the "hesitation" more specifically?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car is an 1.4 auto with 61k miles on it. Plugs were changed around 42k miles. It's laggy when starting off from a stop. Almost as if it needs an extra 2-3 seconds than what my 04 Volkswagen would need to get going at a decent speed. You can really notice when on an incline.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
The car is an 1.4 auto with 61k miles on it. Plugs were changed around 42k miles. It's laggy when starting off from a stop. Almost as if it needs an extra 2-3 seconds than what my 04 Volkswagen would need to get going at a decent speed. You can really notice when on an incline.
What brand plugs are in the car and what are they gapped at? Also, when was the air filter last changed?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, sounds like you're just not used to the throttle-lag they have. Shouldn't be -that- bad though. Mine wasn't (granted, I had a manual, not the ddct).
Some people have it and others don't unless they all have this issue. It's pretty bad especially when you have to gun it on a turn.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
Some people have it and others don't unless they all have this issue. It's pretty bad especially when you have to gun it on a turn.
A pedal box/throttle booster box thingy will help with this issue. It will not give you any extra power, but it will make the throttle react quicker than the stock programming allows.

·
Registered
8,068 Posts
I don't want to void my warranty just yet. Not sure if Dodge would be willing to correct this issue.
It will not void the warranty. It plugs in to your gas pedal wiring and can be easily removed if you need to take it to the dealership for service.

Dodge has no additional throttle programming updates for the Dart. In other words, they are not going to fix the sensitivity of your gas pedal. This car was designed with economy in mind, and the gas pedal response was programmed to accommodate this thinking.

·
Registered
881 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
What’s a go pedal and was the final resolution I’ve been having similar issues and I noticed this hesitation in shifting in my 2.4l automatic it’s the one you can shift (2 drive modes) idk what it’s called.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts