Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this and i also want to welcome all the other newbies.
I am making this post due to an issue i had with the dart. My car would shut off while driving and not starting back up for at least 15 mins. I took my car to the place where i purchased it from and they said all of this was because the car had no oil. The dash board said my car had 41% oil. So he said my car had to be updated and i had to get a oil change. He said my oil is leaving too fast so i have to come back every 1000 miles for 2000 miles so they can monitor it. Anyone else have had this issue?

·
Premium Member
6,295 Posts
I am new to this and i also want to welcome all the other newbies.
I am making this post due to an issue i had with the dart. My car would shut off while driving and not starting back up for at least 15 mins. I took my car to the place where i purchased it from and they said all of this was because the car had no oil. The dash board said my car had 41% oil. So he said my car had to be updated and i had to get a oil change. He said my oil is leaving too fast so i have to come back every 1000 miles for 2000 miles so they can monitor it. Anyone else have had this issue?
The 41% isn't how much oil is left, it's how much life expectancy is left. The Dart does not have an indicator for low oil, but if you have the 2.4L engine (or the 1.4L turbo engine if it's a Dart Aero), then it require sufficient oil to operate the engine's intake valves (this is how the MultiAir system works). If you run the car very low on oil, it will have a tendency to stall, especially when you go through turns and the remaining oil sloshes around. You are also likely experiencing oil starvation in the engine, which can lead to serious damage due to lack of lubrication. It is a good idea to check your oil regularly. An excellent time is just after you get your gas, because gas stations are usually pretty close to level, and you probably do that every week or two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my 15 dart sxt at the end of June n just started having issues with it...I changed the oil in July with Amsoil....the good stuff...n it did it once to me n 3 times to my pregnant daughter...amsoil is good for 25,000 miles or one year n I shouldn’t be having this issue since my car only has 49,000 miles on it...I would like to no where the oil is going if it’s going low all the time like that

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
Some 2.4 engines burn oil. It does not matter what brand oil, you need to open the hood and check the oil level whenever you fill the gas tank and add oil if it's low. The engine will shut off when the oil gets low because the MultiAir is a hydraulic cam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some 2.4 engines burn oil. It does not matter what brand oil, you need to open the hood and check the oil level whenever you fill the gas tank and add oil if it's low. The engine will shut off when the oil gets low because the MultiAir is a hydraulic cam.
I understand that but to eat almost 4 quarts of oil in 2 months is a little ridiculous tho....I have never had a car to go thru that much oil

·
Super Moderator
3,808 Posts
If your Dart has any warranty coverage, you can have an oil consumption test done by a FCA dealer. There is a TSB about what is excessive oil consumption and if the warranty covers it, you might get a new engine. There doesn't seem to be a consensus about why this happens. The 2.0L engine was built at the same factory but does not have the oil consumption problem that the 2.4L engine has. Do not rely on the oil monitor on the instrument cluster, since it monitors oil quality not oil level. You are not alone, just do some googling.
No need to buy expensive oil by the quart. Buy a good quality synthetic in the five quart jug and just add as needed.
It isn't just the FCA 2.4L that has problems. Other vehicle manufacturers are dealing with excessive oil consumption as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I understand that but to eat almost 4 quarts of oil in 2 months is a little ridiculous tho....I have never had a car to go thru that much oil
I have a 2015 GT model. It has always burned oil though usually at a slow and gradual rate. I had a single incident in which it burned a massive amount in between fuel-ups (I always check the dipstick when I get gas) and I stalled out on a highway on-ramp. I always have extra oil in the trunk because I've known about the possibility and that massive burn has never happened sense. I went through Dodge's consumption test and while they said I was burning oil, they said it wasn't enough to breach their parameters for a problem.

As Alpine suggested, I keep a 5-qt around and check the level often. It's not a problem I like, but compared to other cars I had growing up, the Dart has otherwise been good to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I still have my warranty left so I will be calling them morrow so they can check that...I always make sure my cars are well taken care of n do most of the work myself...I wish dodge would come up with a solution or fix for it n put out a recall

1 - 8 of 8 Posts