Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont get on here often anymore. I actually sold my dart (13' 2.0L auto) to my son and bought a charger. Any way we have to change the head gasket. We are getting a coolant seep into #4 cylinder. Causing a misfire on start after its been sitting a while. And before anyone asks, yes we changed plugs coil and injector and we have a coolant loss issue........#4 plug is very clean!

What I need is the timing chain set up info and torque specs for the head, cams and anything peculiar to this motor. The rest I can figure out. I did look in the Dart Bible but didn't see it. I might be blind...lol

Any help is appreciated
Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Almost easier to find a wrecked Dart and swap the engine.
You need the FSM or a subscription to ALLDATAdiy.com
Almost too much to post what you need.

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
Almost easier to find a wrecked Dart and swap the engine.
You need the FSM or a subscription to ALLDATAdiy.com
Almost too much to post what you need.
It cannot be that hard to replace the head gasket? I can understand not having torque specs readily available online, but surely it cannot be as bad as going and getting a replacement engine... What is the FSM also?

I am sure a dealer insider can get the torque specs, and timing chain info. Maybe not anyone here, but I know some dealer friends. Might even be worth it to go to the service department and ask for that info. They might even give it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FSM is the Factory Service Manual. Head gasket is a lot less work. And is not that expensive. I will be about 150-200 in parts. Swapping engines you don't know what your going to get. This motor only has 125k on it. Not even close to needing replacement.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
It cannot be that hard to replace the head gasket? I can understand not having torque specs readily available online, but surely it cannot be as bad as going and getting a replacement engine... What is the FSM also?

I am sure a dealer insider can get the torque specs, and timing chain info. Maybe not anyone here, but I know some dealer friends. Might even be worth it to go to the service department and ask for that info. They might even give it.
FSM is the factory service manual, which I have. The instructions for the timing chain are complex and requires special tools. That side of the engine is tight and it actually would be easier to have the engine out for access. That whole timing chain casting is on with RTV. You also have to do deal with the chain to the balance shaft in the oil pan.The intake manifold is on the back of the engine and that is really tight for access as well. Try getting your hands back there. Sure it can be done without pulling the engine but you will be struggling.
I have seen wrecked Darts with as little as 30k miles with perfect engines. I considered pulling one of those engines but I wouldn't be able to get that engine in my Neon. You bet I pulled lots of parts.
You want torque specs? Here you go:

·
Super Moderator
4,414 Posts
FSM is the factory service manual, which I have. The instructions for the timing chain are complex and requires special tools. That side of the engine is tight and it actually would be easier to have the engine out for access. That whole timing chain casting is on with RTV. You also have to do deal with the chain to the balance shaft in the oil pan.The intake manifold is on the back of the engine and that is really tight for access as well. Try getting your hands back there. Sure it can be done without pulling the engine but you will be struggling.
I have seen wrecked Darts with as little as 30k miles with perfect engines. I considered pulling one of those engines but I wouldn't be able to get that engine in my Neon. You bet I pulled lots of parts.
You want torque specs? Here you go:
Ahhh that makes more sense. I figured the complexity came from the Timing chain. Which is that really needed when doing the head gasket? I have not done one my self, so I was not really sure. But yeah compact car = no room and impossible to do anything. So yeah I mean if getting a new engine for cheap was an option, I can totally see that being the best route if one had to pull out the original engine just to do all that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand the lack of room. No big deal. Been working on cars for over 35 years and was ASE certified for 25 plus as well as having my A&P license for 30+ years. Not new to this game and not afraid to take on work. Thanks for posting torque specs but the head torque is in the procedure. I would imagine there is a work around for the timing chain, usually in the head procedure, just wanted to have the chain proceedure to be sure the chain gets back on correctly. Not changing the chain.
Make sense?!?

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
You will need to have the intake manifold and foam pad attached to the head before you place the head on the block. You will wish you had the FSM or the ALDATAdiy.com subscription.

Tighten the cylinder head bolts in the sequence shown, following this 4 step torque plus angle method. Tighten according to the following torque values:
  • Step 1: All to 30 N·m (22 ft. lbs.)
  • Step 2: All to 73 N·m (54 ft. lbs.)
  • Step 3: All again to 73 N·m (54 ft. lbs.)
  • Step 4: All an additional 90° Turn Do not use a torque wrench for this step.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
alpinegreenneon
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing