Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, old guy mid 50-s here have several older mopars in Hemi Orange got a newer Hemi Orange Hellcat Charger and have wanted a Dart for several years now to replace an ageing neon bought new that is still doing ok at 150k miles.

I wish I had gotten serious about a Dart a few years ago when they were dumping new ones at great prices, cant explain the procrastination other then the Neon DD had/is such a solid car.

Sooo after the Neon started to show its age a bit I ran across a 2015 SXT Vit C Blacktop car on a tiny lot. Overpaid for the car, yea, who buys a car for the color, MOPAR people do so I did.

It seems alot of Darts have had work and mine is no different, a unreported semi minor accident not on carfax, like many alot of the underside plastic missing or torn up however car spent its life in dry Texas and New Mexico.

Was going to be a DD "Daily Driver" to replace the Neon mentioned but dam, its a square car at 86k miles, flawless interior and minor exterior issues I can correct so it will join the rest of the mopars in my little group and I will find another car for a DD/Parts runner.

In the past few months ive viewed this site and its been very helpful in the technical aspect of things. Weather 1970, 2015 or 2020 it seems Mopar has not changed that much and makes nothing easy.

So ive about 2k worth of new plastic parts and such to deal with come spring or over the winter as come first snow it will get parked for the winter. Dont have any real mods planned other then I scored the mopar front lip spoiler new in the box for $48. Got some slotted rotors, ect so when it needs them I will change out. Plan to replace struts and shocks as one front strut is leaking bad and wonder if there is something better then the touring oem hatachi? units on the car.

I think its a decent semi well balanced car so plan to just keep it nice, maybe a cat back ex but nothing major, not looking to rip into the 2.4 but do plan to pick up a wrecked unit for a parts rig and stock up on nos parts while they seem plentiful since I keep what I buy forever, never sell.

Not thrilled with the Utube vid on one guys opinion of why the Dart failed or the Article from Drive saying you wont find a older AARP guy in a Dart.... They have no clue.

Anyway thats that, im pretty impressed at the younger owners jumping in and doing there own thing and wrenching on there own rides, some things never change and thats good. :)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Hi all, old guy mid 50-s here have several older mopars in Hemi Orange got a newer Hemi Orange Hellcat Charger and have wanted a Dart for several years now to replace an ageing neon bought new that is still doing ok at 150k miles.

I wish I had gotten serious about a Dart a few years ago when they were dumping new ones at great prices, cant explain the procrastination other then the Neon DD had/is such a solid car.

Sooo after the Neon started to show its age a bit I ran across a 2015 SXT Vit C Blacktop car on a tiny lot. Overpaid for the car, yea, who buys a car for the color, MOPAR people do so I did.

It seems alot of Darts have had work and mine is no different, a unreported semi minor accident not on carfax, like many alot of the underside plastic missing or torn up however car spent its life in dry Texas and New Mexico.

Was going to be a DD "Daily Driver" to replace the Neon mentioned but dam, its a square car at 86k miles, flawless interior and minor exterior issues I can correct so it will join the rest of the mopars in my little group and I will find another car for a DD/Parts runner.

In the past few months ive viewed this site and its been very helpful in the technical aspect of things. Weather 1970, 2015 or 2020 it seems Mopar has not changed that much and makes nothing easy.

So ive about 2k worth of new plastic parts and such to deal with come spring or over the winter as come first snow it will get parked for the winter. Dont have any real mods planned other then I scored the mopar front lip spoiler new in the box for $48. Got some slotted rotors, ect so when it needs them I will change out. Plan to replace struts and shocks as one front strut is leaking bad and wonder if there is something better then the touring oem hatachi? units on the car.

I think its a decent semi well balanced car so plan to just keep it nice, maybe a cat back ex but nothing major, not looking to rip into the 2.4 but do plan to pick up a wrecked unit for a parts rig and stock up on nos parts while they seem plentiful since I keep what I buy forever, never sell.

Not thrilled with the Utube vid on one guys opinion of why the Dart failed or the Article from Drive saying you wont find a older AARP guy in a Dart.... They have no clue.

Anyway thats that, im pretty impressed at the younger owners jumping in and doing there own thing and wrenching on there own rides, some things never change and thats good. :)
Welcome to the community! We all love our Darts here, except for a few that got some lemons. There are many basic mods that really compliment the vehicle without dishing out alot of money. If you need any suggestions, let us know.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Lets talk of the mods, Im open to them. Hate to go way back but when the 86-87 Grand National Buicks were new we could gain a second in the 1/4 with one evenings worth of time and next to no money.

I would like to possibly lower it an inch or at least the rear itself and have read on here comments about which springs would be the best, ive watched a couple guys on you tube seem to have decent luck with the Megan spring in real lfe but some here seem against them.

I live very rural and drive 30 miles to the nearest small town but on great roads, mostly straight. One thing I did notice is someone robbed the active grille shutters from the car which maybe has something to do with the location it came from. I have noticed the mpg on the cold side of the drive is less then on the way home with heat in the motor.

Ive read of the high under hood heat on the Darts and dont like it, I looked into some sort of hood vent but might just pop for an aftermarket hood or it seems the 2016 scooped style can still be bought from mopar although high priced.

If I find the pigtail for the grille shutters I might replace them and see how they work but it seems many take them out for a reason but the temp needle stays in the middle or slightly below and the puter shows 36 mpg with heat in the motor on a 50 mile jaunt.

In the parts pile I bought so far is a new front bumper cover as its cheaper and an easier more proper fix on mine vs trying to repair a small rip in the oem one on the car. For being a 2015 car nothing seems over complicated vs many newer cars so id not be afraid to jump on any area to improve it.

Ive seen a couple vids on the $499 summit cat back exhaust which id semi like to do, I live in the Dust Bowl where we get little rain so between not driving in the winter and our little rain and being parked indoors its easy for cars here to never get wet and deteriorate.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm 65 and I love my Dart. And no, I won't be putting a noise maker on my exhaust. Welcome to the forum old timer.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
If you look on you tube the summit ex is just a cat back with two small glass packs, the tone is deeper then the oem muffler. I actually think the oem muffler has more of a tin fart can sound then the glass pack deal does. Ive also a 84 twin stick turbo colt with a simple 2 1/4 pipe all the way back and a 12 inch gp muffler inline and its deep not the ricer sound.

If you do a bing search with this in it thedrive dodge dart you will find an article "The Dodge Dart is Dead" its funny what they say about the cars and esp. older guys "aarp guy" would not be in a dart. But if you look at there staff page its easy to understand they dont know mopars or mopar people.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts