Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, old guy mid 50-s here have several older mopars in Hemi Orange got a newer Hemi Orange Hellcat Charger and have wanted a Dart for several years now to replace an ageing neon bought new that is still doing ok at 150k miles.

I wish I had gotten serious about a Dart a few years ago when they were dumping new ones at great prices, cant explain the procrastination other then the Neon DD had/is such a solid car.

Sooo after the Neon started to show its age a bit I ran across a 2015 SXT Vit C Blacktop car on a tiny lot. Overpaid for the car, yea, who buys a car for the color, MOPAR people do so I did.

It seems alot of Darts have had work and mine is no different, a unreported semi minor accident not on carfax, like many alot of the underside plastic missing or torn up however car spent its life in dry Texas and New Mexico.

Was going to be a DD "Daily Driver" to replace the Neon mentioned but dam, its a square car at 86k miles, flawless interior and minor exterior issues I can correct so it will join the rest of the mopars in my little group and I will find another car for a DD/Parts runner.

In the past few months ive viewed this site and its been very helpful in the technical aspect of things. Weather 1970, 2015 or 2020 it seems Mopar has not changed that much and makes nothing easy.

So ive about 2k worth of new plastic parts and such to deal with come spring or over the winter as come first snow it will get parked for the winter. Dont have any real mods planned other then I scored the mopar front lip spoiler new in the box for $48. Got some slotted rotors, ect so when it needs them I will change out. Plan to replace struts and shocks as one front strut is leaking bad and wonder if there is something better then the touring oem hatachi? units on the car.

I think its a decent semi well balanced car so plan to just keep it nice, maybe a cat back ex but nothing major, not looking to rip into the 2.4 but do plan to pick up a wrecked unit for a parts rig and stock up on nos parts while they seem plentiful since I keep what I buy forever, never sell.

Not thrilled with the Utube vid on one guys opinion of why the Dart failed or the Article from Drive saying you wont find a older AARP guy in a Dart.... They have no clue.

Anyway thats that, im pretty impressed at the younger owners jumping in and doing there own thing and wrenching on there own rides, some things never change and thats good. :)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Hi all, old guy mid 50-s here have several older mopars in Hemi Orange got a newer Hemi Orange Hellcat Charger and have wanted a Dart for several years now to replace an ageing neon bought new that is still doing ok at 150k miles.

I wish I had gotten serious about a Dart a few years ago when they were dumping new ones at great prices, cant explain the procrastination other then the Neon DD had/is such a solid car.

Sooo after the Neon started to show its age a bit I ran across a 2015 SXT Vit C Blacktop car on a tiny lot. Overpaid for the car, yea, who buys a car for the color, MOPAR people do so I did.

It seems alot of Darts have had work and mine is no different, a unreported semi minor accident not on carfax, like many alot of the underside plastic missing or torn up however car spent its life in dry Texas and New Mexico.

Was going to be a DD "Daily Driver" to replace the Neon mentioned but dam, its a square car at 86k miles, flawless interior and minor exterior issues I can correct so it will join the rest of the mopars in my little group and I will find another car for a DD/Parts runner.

In the past few months ive viewed this site and its been very helpful in the technical aspect of things. Weather 1970, 2015 or 2020 it seems Mopar has not changed that much and makes nothing easy.

So ive about 2k worth of new plastic parts and such to deal with come spring or over the winter as come first snow it will get parked for the winter. Dont have any real mods planned other then I scored the mopar front lip spoiler new in the box for $48. Got some slotted rotors, ect so when it needs them I will change out. Plan to replace struts and shocks as one front strut is leaking bad and wonder if there is something better then the touring oem hatachi? units on the car.

I think its a decent semi well balanced car so plan to just keep it nice, maybe a cat back ex but nothing major, not looking to rip into the 2.4 but do plan to pick up a wrecked unit for a parts rig and stock up on nos parts while they seem plentiful since I keep what I buy forever, never sell.

Not thrilled with the Utube vid on one guys opinion of why the Dart failed or the Article from Drive saying you wont find a older AARP guy in a Dart.... They have no clue.

Anyway thats that, im pretty impressed at the younger owners jumping in and doing there own thing and wrenching on there own rides, some things never change and thats good. :)
Welcome to the community! We all love our Darts here, except for a few that got some lemons. There are many basic mods that really compliment the vehicle without dishing out alot of money. If you need any suggestions, let us know.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Lets talk of the mods, Im open to them. Hate to go way back but when the 86-87 Grand National Buicks were new we could gain a second in the 1/4 with one evenings worth of time and next to no money.

I would like to possibly lower it an inch or at least the rear itself and have read on here comments about which springs would be the best, ive watched a couple guys on you tube seem to have decent luck with the Megan spring in real lfe but some here seem against them.

I live very rural and drive 30 miles to the nearest small town but on great roads, mostly straight. One thing I did notice is someone robbed the active grille shutters from the car which maybe has something to do with the location it came from. I have noticed the mpg on the cold side of the drive is less then on the way home with heat in the motor.

Ive read of the high under hood heat on the Darts and dont like it, I looked into some sort of hood vent but might just pop for an aftermarket hood or it seems the 2016 scooped style can still be bought from mopar although high priced.

If I find the pigtail for the grille shutters I might replace them and see how they work but it seems many take them out for a reason but the temp needle stays in the middle or slightly below and the puter shows 36 mpg with heat in the motor on a 50 mile jaunt.

In the parts pile I bought so far is a new front bumper cover as its cheaper and an easier more proper fix on mine vs trying to repair a small rip in the oem one on the car. For being a 2015 car nothing seems over complicated vs many newer cars so id not be afraid to jump on any area to improve it.

Ive seen a couple vids on the $499 summit cat back exhaust which id semi like to do, I live in the Dust Bowl where we get little rain so between not driving in the winter and our little rain and being parked indoors its easy for cars here to never get wet and deteriorate.

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm 65 and I love my Dart. And no, I won't be putting a noise maker on my exhaust. Welcome to the forum old timer.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
If you look on you tube the summit ex is just a cat back with two small glass packs, the tone is deeper then the oem muffler. I actually think the oem muffler has more of a tin fart can sound then the glass pack deal does. Ive also a 84 twin stick turbo colt with a simple 2 1/4 pipe all the way back and a 12 inch gp muffler inline and its deep not the ricer sound.

If you do a bing search with this in it thedrive dodge dart you will find an article "The Dodge Dart is Dead" its funny what they say about the cars and esp. older guys "aarp guy" would not be in a dart. But if you look at there staff page its easy to understand they dont know mopars or mopar people.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Good call on the hellcat. I've got a scat pack challenger w/shaker and love it. Would love hellcat power more.

My dart just rolled 100k. Bought brand new in January 2016, a year old model - one of the ones they "dumped" for a great price. Paid under 18k new for a 15 gt. Lost an alternator at 67k, covered under warranty. No other major issues. Couple minor ones, like the persistent "light out" chime in low light situations that I can't track down. And I've never really gotten over the fact that it struggles to break 30mpg on my mostly highway commute. Other than that it's served its purpose well.

Before I got the challenger I made a half hearted effort to use the dart to satisfy my need for speed. Started off with the piggyback "Tuner" and lightweight pulley. Didn't notice a damn thing so I pulled the Tuner off and it's sat in my garage for a couple years now and recognized the dart for what it is and that I really should have gotten the 2.0. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The most obvious mod is a cold air intake or even the K&N drop-in air filter. I have run the K&N drop-in for 6 years now and it made a big improvement over stock. Plus it was only $50. This is the best cold air intake on the market for the Dart from Eurocompulsion $350.... EUROCOMPULSION® DODGE DART 2.4L AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM

Many people have purchased the lightweight crank pulley, some love it some don't.

There are a few options for exhaust, many people have the summit kit.

No real ecu tune exists for the 2.4 engine. One company had talks about it this summer, but he flaked out and haven't heard anything since. You can buy a piggyback tuner for small gains.

There are also gas pedal boosters and auto trans piggybacks.

That's the basics of it. If you want to go full racecar, a few people have added a turbo to their 2.4. All custom work for the most part. RRM sells a turbo kit but many people say it isn't of good quality.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, THANKS! I will look into these.

I do like the air cleaner and go ped idea, ive read a bit on the pedal deal. Also read on turning off the traction control, wonder if it helps on the 2.4?

As well I do alot of nitrous plumbing and systems on older cars and run a 2 stage setup on my heads up car and was wondering if anyone has tried a simple dry nozzle, say maybe a simple 30 shot on a 2.4? Which would be maybe a 50lb tq increase.

What do the claim some gains are on a cleaned up throttle body? If I seen some pics of a modded one I could more then not easily duplicate it.

I seen the turbo kits, cool idea but looks like china all the way.

Im probably going to do the ex. and intake or at least the air cleaner you mentioned and possibly it dont look too hard to fab a intake tube alot cheaper then they sell for but im still wondering what the 2.4 would think of a simple 30 shit or even a 20 just for kicks.

Id like to get a head to look over and see what could be cleaned up port wise and going further ive seen the header that kicks the cat converter out the door.

I my world if im not having to pull the block out of the car all mods are bolt ons. But, I thought I was gonna keep it simple.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Hey, THANKS! I will look into these.

I do like the air cleaner and go ped idea, ive read a bit on the pedal deal. Also read on turning off the traction control, wonder if it helps on the 2.4?

As well I do alot of nitrous plumbing and systems on older cars and run a 2 stage setup on my heads up car and was wondering if anyone has tried a simple dry nozzle, say maybe a simple 30 shot on a 2.4? Which would be maybe a 50lb tq increase.

What do the claim some gains are on a cleaned up throttle body? If I seen some pics of a modded one I could more then not easily duplicate it.

I seen the turbo kits, cool idea but looks like china all the way.

Im probably going to do the ex. and intake or at least the air cleaner you mentioned and possibly it dont look too hard to fab a intake tube alot cheaper then they sell for but im still wondering what the 2.4 would think of a simple 30 shit or even a 20 just for kicks.

Id like to get a head to look over and see what could be cleaned up port wise and going further ive seen the header that kicks the cat converter out the door.

I my world if im not having to pull the block out of the car all mods are bolt ons. But, I thought I was gonna keep it simple.
The Dart has a pretty sophisticated traction control system. Full throttle on a wet road will not have the same power as full throttle on a dry road. I turn it OFF everytime I turn the car on. Above 60mph it automatically turns on no matter what.

Dodge designed these engines to run hot on purpose for better fuel economy. The radiator fans don't even kick on until 230F coolant temperature. You will notice that when the temp is above 210F there is a huge power loss. When temps are below 200F you have the most power. The engine bay itself is an oven due to it being sealed in with the underbody aero panel and the active grill shutters. I removed the underbody aero panel and have not had high coolant temps in a long time. I also removed the engine top cover.

Somebody tried a 30 shot back when these first came out. I forgot what shop but they did not have success. I'd have to research it to find out WHY though.

Throttle body upgrade is just a bigger version.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info, I spent some time last night thinking of different mods and the return vs money spent. For instance the TB, nice how they did it, but for $339 and this "You'll gain a solid 4-7 horsepower across the board, and 6-8 lbs of torque" Good grief.

But I do know the sum of several mods would ad up but unfortunately so many new untouched inline 4-s can do so much better off the lot. Ive had no disillusions on the darts overall power from the time they came out, unless just running other darts.

I wonder if there were any different gear sets or finial drives used in the old auto trans that would have any decent impact in overall tq multiplication.

How do the Darts fare in the autocross scene? Hell Im not sure they even have autocross anymore. Ive been buying alot of oem replacement parts for mine and also found some hellcatish looking rims as well but at the end of the day in the big picture its a poser car but im good with that. The old "my other car would get you" is still a joke today but I still like the drive the Dart over the Hellcat and oddly my 2015 neon I bought new is a easier car to drive then the Dart.

I told a friend, at least the Dart is faster then the neon... I should of said that out loud as his reply was.... isnt everything faster then a neon? I also have a 84 twin stick turbo colt but at 1800 lbs and the turbo turned up (fish valve on the wastegate) as high as I can go before it wants to cut out the fuel pump for too much boost at 34 mpg and running a semi respectable
13.4 qtr its a real fun car.

I looked on here and searched the nitrous thing and found some info but no concrete info, but id think it would be hard on the already jinkie 2.4 rings and ive seen a piston/rod from a 2.4 and its meh... and im not sure on the newer stuff like the 2.4 but vs a liner id think its just a thin layer of ? like alot of the imports use. But if serious one probably could put some thin cast liners in a block and have some pistons made.

But im semi inclined to look for a low mile 15 Vit C car and work on this one a bit BUT smart money says dont, just make this one look good and drive it.

A 30 or 50 shot, a 10 lb bottle would last a summer. Here is my heads up/street racer at just under 450 inches a multi carbed small block with a 100 shot on the plate to launch and 300 on a fogger kit both run off the low cost nos mini prgressive controller, not a real good pic but it shows a little. As simple and as plain as it gets.

I think id almost do better if I wanted to hot rod the old neon, the prices of the parts are about 1/4 or less of what dart aftermarket parts go for.

I swear its a bad habit/addiction the ONLY car ive ever bought and didnt mod in the old neon which all ive ever done is oil and trans as I should and of course T belt and wp but at 149k its still got the org. rotors, plugs, coil, hell I got 13 years out of the org. mopar antifreeze.

Anyone notice the new Kia K5 looking like a Dart in too many ways but near 30k for 300hp?

I did look up the K-N air filter, still $50 which I will snag one up and if like to ditch the oem muffler but not sure if id like the noise from just a delete or run like the summit kit that has two small glass packs. I did see on you tube one ran the spliter before the oem muffler and ran two very small fart can types in place of the fake dual tips and tucked in it looked good and sounded good.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The one thing the Dart does well is handling. Best FWD car I've ever driven. I planned to autocross this summer but Covid hit and shut everything down. I did forget to mention the motor mounts on these cars are garbage. Deyeme racing sells aftermarket mounts that are solid filled. It makes a big difference.

The Dart GT trim has a slightly different final drive ratio which gives it a slight edge over the other trim levels in terms of acceleration.

Unless we get a real tune for the ecu, the most you are gonna get is maybe 200 crank horsepower with all the different mods added up. Going back to the nitrous, it was Tork Motorsports that tried it on their dyno. He said the car did not like it at all and stumbled.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea they track very well, I had a blast today the is a semi bank long stretching corner on my 35 mile drive to the grocery store and on the way home recently ive been going into it at the normal 65 and powering on about 1/2 way through so im about 90 when it straightens out and run it to 115 by the first cross road, im like at 145 in the hellcat at that same point but dont lay into it as early. The HC at 4600 pounds is not a light car and the exhaust note of the HC spooks the wife, the dart she likes. Shes 62 and me ma dont like much over 130 or so.

I still need to find some safe room to see how far I can push the car before it lets go and heck im not even sure about the newer tires if they will talk to me like tires of 25-30 years ago would and give an idea when they were angry. I probably will refurb my old oem rims and get some sticky tires for them.

I have been reading a good bit and the mounts come up often so I will look into that, neons were no better on mounts so we machined AL. plugs to replace the rubber portion before they came out aftermarket. Seems like a middle of the road cost wise scanner that will let me sync new parts with the system is in order since I dont have a close dealer and dont like then as it is price wise.

The whole strut thing is a bit confusing, ive found the part numbers on her for the Touring and the GT posted but my dart has a diff pn, the hatachi/mopar 05168110ah and 05168111a for the touring shocks so I bought them for now.

I did buy a set of oem new blacktop rims to replace my scuffed ones then I found a oem mopar rim thats a direct fit but are 18x8 vs the 7.5 and they are more or less a hellcat like rim but in 18 vs 20 inch. And at $100 a rim, thats cheaper then aftermarket.

As crazy as it is I still in some ways would rather drive the Dart over the HC. Im wondering how well the china drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads are going to perform, I hate to pull off the ones on the car as it stops well and smooth.

I see Detroit Axle? puts out alot of suspension replacement parts and wonder on the quality because im not into paying the mopar dealership prices. Im sure you have heard 100-s of times about the cost of the front chin spoiler at $180 because mopar has to get there big cut for a flippin cheap piece of molded plastic but at least now I got a template to try to find a aftermarket of the same quality for $50.

But I think with these "like" rims I can ge the Dart looking more like a baby charger then with the oem blacktop rims and maybe a bit more tire as well.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I originally bought my Dart to make long trips to see Grandkids, but I wanted more horse power, so I went to a V8 which has pushed me up to 240hp. Acceleration is amazing...................................................
34.jpg

I still have the Dart though.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats nice looking and the rims fit it well. I had no misconceptions going into the Dart I bought, being mopar only for over 40 years my only regret is not buying a new one in 2015 or even better the 2016, but I walked the dog and now im starting with a 85k mile car in pretty decent shape and the color I wanted.

Anyone in the older mopar game knows its a crap shoot on anything old or used, I bought my Dart without seeing it in person or driving it prior, id never even drove a Dart either just understood it was a newer, semi better more modern car then my 05 neon I bought new. I loved the dart look since they first came out.

Ive not been disappointed yet, yes a bit miffed the rims were scuffed, the interior is like new, its was a very southern car so nothings ate up. I also expected a car that had 85k miles and the front bumper cover shows it, the under side covers are jacked so ive spent about 2k in a parts pile in the back of my shops office and come spring will spray the new bumper cover and replace all the underside covers and plastic.

Had I seen it in person first id of still bought it but would of offered 1500 less but any small dealer is going to make his cut and I accepted that.

Ive racked up 1k miles on it and I think If there was anything serious or major id more or less know it by now, and with a shop full of hemi orange mopars from 70 up I am a happy Dart guy.

I figure if I put 3k miles a year on it that will be a lot for me. Although I will admit after I bought it I got to looking up the quirks and the 2.4 stuff and was like wtf did I do and hoped I got a good one and it seems so and even if I didnt, its a 7k car, I just burned up some stock profit cash so either way was ok.

I found the car online, inquired and asked a ton of questions, got loads of pics, looked at service records, sent the dealer a cashiers check and two days later he drove the 200 miles to deliver it, with the early months of the virus deal and having bad lungs and a wife with a prior stroke and thinking not every car dealer is a crook it turned out OOOOOK.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I do like my '13 Rallye a lot. The cornering is fantastic. Love the backup camera and Uconnect. The 2.0 has decent get up and go. But it's still the car I use for long distance trips because of the 34 mpg. In the Winter it's the Jeep because of the 4wd (and the heated seats). Here is it's Winter resting spot.
IMG_0305.JPG

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Do you have the auto or manual trans by the way? With the auto you can use the autostick feature and that also delivers more power out and allows you to control shift speed and firmness.

I've found that on high speed turns at around 90mph, you will get some oversteer if you lift off the throttle. As long as you commit to it, it's fine and powers through the turn. The traction control does a good job of sorting it out if you do get in trouble though.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats good to know, Im normally not the "let off" type but rather drive out of a situation but I did lift the first time I took the corners ive been writing about as I went into the left hand turn a hair to fast and carried it through and into the lil straight before the lil banked right curve.

So in these pics it starts going into left posted at 65 then a short straight then the slightly bank sweeping right the a long long 30 mile straight.

Not much to hurt out here but myself.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Vitaman C
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I truly live on the high plains of the dust bowl.

This is a school house some gangsters holed up in in the 30-s and there are machine gun marks all over it, the other pic with a backdrop is a org. house built in the 20-s. The last pic is if it aint a mopar and orange, I wont own it.

Luck for me I dont, would not live on a dirt road.

OH.... the last last pic is since I always pop the hood to let the heat out I popped the top strut cover off to see the nut reading some get filled with rust, well going with the southern desert history of the car, this seems to support that as well as it look great nearly like new. Naaaa orange cars dont stand out in a huge county with only 10k people.

Hey, is it ok to be posting all this here or is there a better section for it?

·
Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
251 Posts
It's a nice Dart, but I want pics of the twin-stick turbo Colt!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts