Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Dodge Dart world but not new to modding. Been researching all the threads on aftermarket intakes. Has anyone gone and just dropped in the stock replacement [email protected] air filter and hacked the stock air box bottom open to allow in more air? Haven't seen anyone talking about this yet. Seems like it might be a cheaper alternative and more effective than the Mopar version? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
New to the Dodge Dart world but not new to modding. Been researching all the threads on aftermarket intakes. Has anyone gone and just dropped in the stock replacement [email protected] air filter and hacked the stock air box bottom open to allow in more air? Haven't seen anyone talking about this yet. Seems like it might be a cheaper alternative and more effective than the Mopar version? Thanks.
I dont think weve seen someone hack the bottom off yet... I would have to say most people want to keep the stock parts intact for the most part so just in case of something or if they wanna sell they have the stock parts! But if that be the case, instead of just hacking the box apart, why not just buy a K&N cone filter and attach it to the end of the hose that connects to the air box? It would increase air flow much more than just opening the bottom of the air-box and it will save you a headache if you need your airbox for something down the road?

Reactions: pkgmsu2000

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Attaching a conical air filter does greatly increase flow but then you need to devise a way to mount it up and also you would have to take care of the relief hose from the crankcase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This may be a question for another thread but has anyone tried running the Mopar one with out the bottom on it, or hacked open the bottom? I don't know if you would get better airflow this way or if it would be best to keep the box intact and run it through the stock air channel that is below. I am leaning towards the Mopar kit but don't know if it would really flow more than just dropping in a K&N replacement filter as they both use the same stock air tube below and just replace the filter with a higher flowing one.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Attaching a conical air filter does greatly increase flow but then you need to devise a way to mount it up and also you would have to take care of the relief hose from the crankcase.
Thats fine, but in all honesty... If you wanna save money... dont do anything! That will be the best save of your money! I mean if youre willing to hack apart your stock airbox, then you shouldnt have a problem finding a way to attach the relief hose from the crankcase...

Reactions: pkgmsu2000

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I am NOT a fan of hacking apart or throwing away stock parts. If you ever need to go back to the dealer for warranty issues, if they want to be difficult, they can be total jerks and deny just about any warranty claim if they see that you have made modifications to OEM parts. Yes, even air intakes can cause a dealer to deny you.

if you have a 2.4L, go with HPSI and call it a day :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
OP, obviously, you haven't pulled out the stock air box. I have the 2.4L, so I can't speak about the 1.4T or the 2.0L, but the factory air box has piping that runs down and around through the fender to the front bumper to grab air from the front. When I added my Mopar CAI, I had to change some of the radiator shielding to plug the hole from the factory air box piping to help prevent the Mopar system from robbing air from the A/C and possibly cause A/C cooling issues. I am not an expert, but if you just drop in a K&N filter, you'd probably get better results than if you added the filter and cut up the stock box. So, unless you are doing it just because you like the look of it, I don't think you will get any benefit from hacking up the stock box.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
OP, obviously, you haven't pulled out the stock air box. I have the 2.4L, so I can't speak about the 1.4T or the 2.0L, but the factory air box has piping that runs down and around through the fender to the front bumper to grab air from the front. When I added my Mopar CAI, I had to change some of the radiator shielding to plug the hole from the factory air box piping to help prevent the Mopar system from robbing air from the A/C and possibly cause A/C cooling issues. I am not an expert, but if you just drop in a K&N filter, you'd probably get better results than if you added the filter and cut up the stock box. So, unless you are doing it just because you like the look of it, I don't think you will get any benefit from hacking up the stock box.
I think all 3 of the engines use the same stock air box setup with the baffle that runs down and to the front "ram-air" port in the left side of the grille!

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
If you are on a budget, get the K&N drop in.

If you want the best, get the HPSI + Ram Air.

"That's all I have to say about that." - Forest Gump
I recently installed a K&N drop-in filter in my Dart. It really makes no difference at all. Maybe the occasional bit of a whistling sound of air rushing through it. I'm not disappointed, though, because I didn't expect any change. I just wanted a long-lasting filter.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I recently installed a K&N drop-in filter in my Dart. It really makes no difference at all. Maybe the occasional bit of a whistling sound of air rushing through it. I'm not disappointed, though, because I didn't expect any change. I just wanted a long-lasting filter.
I totally disagree with your statement. K&N drop in is the best $40 I have ever spent on a car mod. Engine sounds amazing and a nice added bit of power. MPG increased by 3mpg.

Did you even break it in yet? You will need to put a few thousand miles for your engine to adapt to it. Did you reset your ecu after you installed it?

Edit: You have the 1.4T, so I cannot comment on that. I have the 2.4. Turbo engines are a whole different animal when it comes to modifying.

·
Registered
31 Posts
OP you have a point if you drill a hole in the air box it will flow more air into the box but you will suck in hot air from the engine bay.
The key is to open the air box and have it breathe in cool air so the stock induction tube is a great design.
A improvement would be to use the Mopar CAI and ram air duct kit that mounts to the performance hood then you will have cool air flow to the air box plus the oem induction tube.

I put a K&N drop in filter in my 2016 Ram 1500 Hemi then drilled a 4" hole in the bottom of the air box.
Then attached a 4" flex pipe from the air box down to behind the front bumper where there is cool air and it works very well and is cheap.

·
Registered
281 Posts
K&N drop in and remove the lower air silencer / baffles that connects to the air box if youre on a budget.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts