Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm new to this site and I apologize if this has already been asked or talked about but...

I have a 2016 GT, and unfortunately it did not come with the sport appearance hood. I got some "late availability" credit that took like $500 or so from the ticket price. Apparently the hood is on back order for at least 6 months. My opinion, I think they discontinued it on the 2016 GTs (which it was suppose to come standard on), so they could offer it as a upgraded feature on the GLH. I've heard they may not upgrade the power train, so my conspiracy is they'll make up for it by adding the sport appearance hood, but it will be functional with the RAM air intake kit. Just my opinion, we'll see.

Nonetheless, instead of waiting for the hood to be available and paying close to $2,000 after paint and making it functional, I rather buy the GTS tribute hood. The scoop looks more aggressive anyway in my opinion.

My question is, does anyone know if the RAM air intake kit (i.e. the duct from the scoop to the mopar cold air intake) is compatible with the GTS hood. If the scoops are in the same vicinity, I'm sure it'd be easy enough to retrofit it. I'm just curious if anyone may have some insight on this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
So I'm new to this site and I apologize if this has already been asked or talked about but...

I have a 2016 GT, and unfortunately it did not come with the sport appearance hood. I got some "late availability" credit that took like $500 or so from the ticket price. Apparently the hood is on back order for at least 6 months. My opinion, I think they discontinued it on the 2016 GTs (which it was suppose to come standard on), so they could offer it as a upgraded feature on the GLH. I've heard they may not upgrade the power train, so my conspiracy is they'll make up for it by adding the sport appearance hood, but it will be functional with the RAM air intake kit. Just my opinion, we'll see.

Nonetheless, instead of waiting for the hood to be available and paying close to $2,000 after paint and making it functional, I rather buy the GTS tribute hood. The scoop looks more aggressive anyway in my opinion.

My question is, does anyone know if the RAM air intake kit (i.e. the duct from the scoop to the mopar cold air intake) is compatible with the GTS hood. If the scoops are in the same vicinity, I'm sure it'd be easy enough to retrofit it. I'm just curious if anyone may have some insight on this?

Thanks in advance!
So as far as I know, this has not been brought up (as far as I know) But this is what I found...

Here Is the GTS Tribute hood from MPx:
6799960543_ea307ebbf0_z.jpg

Here is the Mopar sport appearance hood:
51696d1435363172-2016-dodge-dart-sport-appearance-hood-scat-pack-dart-hood-1.jpg

It looks as though the GTS hood scoop is a little closer to the front of the car than the sport appearance hood...

Here is the Ram air piece for the sport appearance hood:
dodge-dart-with-scat-11_1600x0w.jpg

It looks as though you may be able to do this... BUT you may not have the holes that are shown for the piece to be clipped in... Also, it may have clearance issues due to the scoop being a little further forward...
Also remember, you will need the Mopar intake kit to make this ram air piece work the way they designed it to, as far as I am aware the stock air box DOES NOT have the port for the ram air piece.

Reactions: JonsGT

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So as far as I know, this has not been brought up (as far as I know) But this is what I found...

View attachment 58443

View attachment 58444

It looks as though the GTS hood scoop is a little closer to the front of the car than the sport appearance hood...

View attachment 58445

It looks as though you may be able to do this... BUT you may not have the holes that are shown for the piece to be clipped in... Also, it may have clearance issues due to the scoop being a little further forward...
Also remember, you will need the Mopar intake kit to make this ram air piece work the way they designed it to, as far as I am aware the stock air box DOES NOT have the port for the ram air piece.
Thanks for this. You're right, it does look like the scoop on the GTS tribute hood is closer to the front. I'm curious what the top of the air duct looks like, where it bolts onto the hood. I'm thinking I could still bolt it on in the same spot, assuming there's holes, or an area where I can drill holes to mount it, and then add some kind of extension duct to reach from the scoop to the inlet of the mopar duct.

And you are correct about the stock air box, it does not have the port for the ram air piece. I was already planning on purchasing the mopar intake, but only if this is achievable.

If not, I am also looking at the Injen CAI or HPSI CAI with ram air tube like @sharkcohen mentioned.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Yeah, It looks like it may be possible to adapt the Ram air piece to the GTS tribute hood, but whether you want to spend the money on it is the question... I know that the intakes for the 1.4 changed from 2014 to 2015... but as far as i know the 2.4 and 2.0 intakes stayed the same. I ran into the intake issue when i got my 2015 1.4 and had to custom build one because none of the vendor had one built just yet. Now there are only two intakes for the 2015/2016 1.4 models (due to changes in the system)... But since i got it figured out by myself and paid less for my intake im very happy. I do know the HPSI intakes have great reviews and alot of the people who have them whether its the 1.4 or 2.0/2.4, say they are great!

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
there is no GLH, and sorry to hear the dealer didnt want to help you. Yes the hoods might be backordered for months, but if they really wanted to get you a hood they would have found a way to get you one when parts come in... $500 will barely buy you a sport hood and then you have paint and shipping to tackle (more like $1500 total).

congrats and enjoy the new dart :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is no GLH, and sorry to hear the dealer didnt want to help you. Yes the hoods might be backordered for months, but if they really wanted to get you a hood they would have found a way to get you one when parts come in... $500 will barely buy you a sport hood and then you have paint and shipping to tackle (more like $1500 total).

congrats and enjoy the new dart :)
Yeah, unfortunately there will be no GLH and no SRT since the dart will soon be discontinued under FCA's revised 5 year plan. Originally, the GLH was supposed to come out in 2017 (supposedly) and the SRT in 2018 or 2019.

So looks like everyone is SOL for a high performance Dart or any type of variant.

Back to the topic though, I agree the $500 late availability credit was crap considering how much the hood would cost if bought separate. And I know, I feel like they could've gotten me one somehow someway, but it was turning into such a pain in the a** that I didn't want to keep pushing because it didn't seem like it'd happen anytime soon. I had totaled my 2013 Dart and I needed a vehicle already, it had been over a month. We agreed on the full exterior package (front chin spoiler, side sills, and rear diffuser) all for free including installation to sweeten the deal. On top of that, they granted me an employee discount for life on all Mopar parts and service. Which really made me happy because I also have a 2nd gen Ram that I am constantly doing to stuff to.

For the Dart, I already bought the Mopar intake and Modern Performance's GTS tribute hood, so once I get it painted and installed I will then see about retrofitting the duct from the hood scoop to the intake.

And thank you! :) I loved my first Dart and was pretty sad when I totaled it, I was pretty happy to get a new one.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yep, i know availability of GT's with the hood is slim. I shopped in Feb and was fortunate that my dealer had my TorRed with it and the Mopar appearance pak. Love this car as is. Tint set for next Friday. Dart front qrt cropped.jpg

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yep, i know availability of GT's with the hood is slim. I shopped in Feb and was fortunate that my dealer had my TorRed with it and the Mopar appearance pak. Love this car as is. Tint set for next Friday. View attachment 59647
That is beautiful. Weird, but I had a dream last night that I bought one that looked just like this.

·
Registered
654 Posts
That GTS tribute hood is awesome IF ya cant get factory hood already on. My main criteria when committing to buying my GT was : color, sport hood, sunrooof, Mopar exterior package and automatic(too much traffic)...after that it was all negotiable.

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
Is there a part # for this?

EDIT...NVM I got it! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts

Thanks in advance!

[iurl="http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=58443&stc=1&d=1453412061"]
[/iurl]

[iurl="http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=58444&stc=1&d=1453412153"]
[/iurl]

[iurl="http://www.dodge-dart.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=58445&stc=1&d=1453412258"]
[/iurl]

Hey buddy have you heard any updates/good news on anybody using after market sports hood with Mopar ram intake being successful? There's the MP-R Sports Hood by Duraflex that in looking at that looks identical to the Mopar Hood.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Hey buddy have you heard any updates/good news on anybody using after market sports hood with Mopar ram intake being successful? There's the MP-R Sports Hood by Duraflex that in looking at that looks identical to the Mopar Hood.
Well, It has been confirmed that there is a special mopar "performance" intake that you can buy as long as you have a 13 or 14- 1.4T. You can technically use this intake for a 2015 model, BUT you will need to do some custom work to fit the new EVAP lines together since there is only one EVAP line on the 13/14 turbo darts.

NOW the other kicker to this intake/ ram-air addition is this: You HAVE to remember that you have a turbo on your engine that is attached directly to the intake... That being said when your turbo spools it causes 2 things to happen... 1. It will cause boost pressure to be pushed into your intercooler system and then into your throttle body for MOAR POWAH! 2. at the same time the turbo is pushing boost pressure into your engine it is also causing a vacuum to happen at the open points of your intake. That means that ANY OPEN POINT (LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE POINT THAT IS OPEN TO ATMOSPHERE) will have some sort of vacuum suction pulling air into the intake. What this means is that is you hook this mopar intake and the ram-air tube to the hood, you will be pulling air directly and the hood scoop.

You may now be thinking, "Great! Thats exactly what I wanted!" well... thats where you would be wrong.

The problem that would then occur from this would be that you now have successfully turned your turbo into a fancy wet/dry vac. Any time that you need to drive your dart and it happens to be raining you are going to suck rain water and moisture into your hood scoop, then it will travel down (make note of this, because it comes into play later) the ram-air tube into the intake and then directly into your turbo's turbine.

Now there is a rather confusingly large debate on whether this will actually happen or not which personally perplexes me. Some people have said that the intake box (below the filter) have holes drilled in it to prevent the water or moisture from getting sucked up by the turbo. But if I learned anything in my years of a student of Physics, its that when a vacuum is created, it pulls air in from EVERY SINGLE POINT it can in order to try to re-create equilibrium. So that means that yes, those holes at the bottom of the box will help but not enough to completely prevent all water and moisture from getting sucked into the intake.

Now remember when I told you to make note of the "down" direction? Here is where that comes into play... There are certain intakes that can go to a hood scoop and be connected to a turbo WITHOUT having water or too much moisture sucked up by it. They are shaped somewhat like the grease trap in your sink. The reason for that is water and moisture are more dense than air and will weight more than the air itself. SO, having the water dip down into the u-bend then have to be pulled back up (against gravity) makes it much more difficult for the moisture and water to get to the turbo. The problem with the mopar design is that everything flows with gravity and directly down and across into the intake... there are no reverse-gravity points in the setup allowing water and moisture to travel right along with the air much easier and with barely any resistance.

WHAT THIS ALL MEANS...

Wrapping this all up is the easiest part! Let me put this the easiest way I can... Turbo + Moisture/Water = MAJOR TURBO PROBLEMS!!!

The thing is that unless you completely submerge you intake in water while the turbo is spooling, you WILL NOT see catastrophic failure of the turbo... That being said, if the turbo's turbine (which can spin up to around 200,000 RPM and get EXTREMELY HOT) is constantly bombarded with water and or moisture bad things WILL start to happen. Being as the turbo's turbine is made of lightweight aluminum so it can spin so incredibly fast. When it gets hot and is spinning extremely fast, having something like COLD water or moisture (which is again more dense than air) slam into the blades at high speed, will cause issues to start forming. The centric balance of the turbine wheel and be thrown off, the blades of the turbine can break, the blades can become very brittle due to the extreme heating/cooling of the metal. All things that can cause failure over time of the turbo. Most times, this failure will come after the warranty is up causing you to have to buy yourself a new turbo... normally from the dealer because odds are they're going to have to do the work (not always but most people dont feel comfortable doing that work) so you are not only paying around $1300 for the turbo, but all the labor costs as well.

And what did you really gain from this? maybe 5-10HP? if that? I'd say stick with the standard intake or an aftermarket one that does NOT connect to the hood scoop. Go for the hood if you really like it... but it will be for looks not functionality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts