Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple days ago I had my tires rotated. I haven't driven more than a couple miles since then but today while I was out on my lunch break I noticed a thunk sound when turning around in a parking lot. I swerved back and forth several times and it seemed to happen when weight shifted side to side. Thinking maybe I had a worn bushing somewhere I figured I'd call and schedule an appointment at the dealer to get it looked at.

On the way back to work once I got up to highway speed I noticed whenever I let off the gas I got the same thunking sound coupled with a grinding sound from the front end. If I pressed the brake, or got back on the gas the sound would stop. Coasting while turning would make the sound worse. It also seemed to be speed related as the sound would speed up and slow down with the speed of the car.

I decided to go ahead and take it to the dealer since it's under warranty still. I'm at the mercy of their schedule since I didn't make an appointment, but I didn't want to drive on it any more than I had to.

Could getting the tires rotated have done something to cause the noise?

·
Registered
602 Posts
9 times out of 10 when someone says "I just had my tires rotated/etc, now there's a noise!", it's because someone didn't tighten/properly torque the lugs. Get your tire iron out of the trunk and check them - if they're loose, call them and give them hell it's really dangerous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So a couple days ago I had my tires rotated. I haven't driven more than a couple miles since then but today while I was out on my lunch break I noticed a thunk sound when turning around in a parking lot. I swerved back and forth several times and it seemed to happen when weight shifted side to side. Thinking maybe I had a worn bushing somewhere I figured I'd call and schedule an appointment at the dealer to get it looked at.

On the way back to work once I got up to highway speed I noticed whenever I let off the gas I got the same thunking sound coupled with a grinding sound from the front end. If I pressed the brake, or got back on the gas the sound would stop. Coasting while turning would make the sound worse. It also seemed to be speed related as the sound would speed up and slow down with the speed of the car.

I decided to go ahead and take it to the dealer since it's under warranty still. I'm at the mercy of their schedule since I didn't make an appointment, but I didn't want to drive on it any more than I had to.

Could getting the tires rotated have done something to cause the noise?
So what's the verdict?
I’m having the same exact problem with my Dart, did you find out the problem and how did you get it fixed?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Did you tighten your lug bolts when you rotated your tires?
Torque is 92 ft lbs for allot wheels and 89 ft lbs for steel wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had my tires rotated about a month and a half ago, I don’t think it could wheel torque related but I could be wrong though
Did you tighten your lug bolts when you rotated your tires?
Torque is 92 ft lbs for allot wheels and 89 ft lbs for steel wheels.
The car also vibrates too much when coasting and idling like a something is a wrong vibration more on the driver side

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Sure sounds like a loose tire to me. Please check.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Might be a bad motor mount. Open the hood while it's running and it may be obvious. If you don't have tools, surely a neighbor does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts