Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 GT with the 8" touchscreen. Last weekend I needed to use the GPS. When I clicked on it, I got an error saying "Can't Unlock Maps." I click OK on that and then get another message saying "Detailed maps are required for routing. No detailed maps were found on this unit." I close that error and the map seems to sort of know where I am but it shows me as just being off the road I'm actually on. What gives? Do I need to bring it to the dealer?

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
I'd take it in...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a think in the mail, apparently the GPS memory can get corrupted and crap out like yours did. So Chrysler extended the warranty to 10 years on it and has a procedure to go to their website, download a software fix onto a thumb drive to insert into the USB port to fix it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got a think in the mail, apparently the GPS memory can get corrupted and crap out like yours did. So Chrysler extended the warranty to 10 years on it and has a procedure to go to their website, download a software fix onto a thumb drive to insert into the USB port to fix it.
Do you happen to have a link where I can get that info?

·
Super Moderator
5,811 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome thanks. I'll try it shortly and let you know.
Well the update took, but it didn't fix the error. I guess off to the dealer I go. Another odd thing is that it changed the background color from red to blue on the NAV page. Almost like the update was for the Chrysler 200.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, dealer has to order a new radio to fix this issue apparently. SIGH. Covered under warranty, but what a pain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guess what? I have joined this club as well. I got the "Can't Unlock Maps" message when I tried to use the NAV as well.

Took it to the dealer. They couldn't get it working as well. So, I will be getting a new radio unit now. Good thing they extended the warranty on these things I guess.

Joe C.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Guess what? I have joined this club as well. I got the "Can't Unlock Maps" message when I tried to use the NAV as well.

Took it to the dealer. They couldn't get it working as well. So, I will be getting a new radio unit now. Good thing they extended the warranty on these things I guess.

Joe C.
Hi rjcjr3,

Sorry to hear about the maps locking on your UConnect. Glad to hear the dealership is taking care you and if you further assistance, let me know.

Thanks,

Kathleen

·
Registered
581 Posts
This same thing happened to me today. Exactly a descried in the original post, in every detail. I don't want to mess with an ineffective update that turns the system blue so I will be calling the dealer tomorrow.

I researched a bit and found this problem dating back to 2014 on the Dodge Journey forums. There is a guy claiming it can be fixed with a software update and a few hours of time. Here i that thread if anyone wants to learn more.

Can't Unlock Maps - Audio, Infotainment Navigation, MyGig, UConnect, etc. - Dodge Journey Forum

That thread says that the Journey drivers found out there is a bad memory chip in united made in 2014 (give or take a year). The defect has apparently been corrected in new uconnect units.

It nice to hear that the warranty on thi very expensive and defective part was extended. Doe anyone have any info on the recall? Like a number for it or something so I can make the dealer's job a easy as possible tomorrow? The less time they spend researching a cause and the more time they spend just agreeing with me that it a defect that's been recalled...the better

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone gotten the recall info? I have a 15 Town and Country with the exact problem. Both the dealer and Dodge know nothing about a warranty extension telling me that I am SOL!! PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just ran into the same issue. My 2015 Caravan got the "can't unlock maps" and "detailed maps are required for routing. No detailed maps were found on this unit" last week. Took it to dealership Feb 25 2020 and they said unit needs to be replaced. Now of course my van is 4.5 years old and had just under 61,000km's so this is no longer under their sub-standard warranty. So if I get this fixed I am out of pocket $1100 CDN. I contacted Dodge both by phone and e-mail and was essentially told I was SOL both times. I just cannot fathom how this can happen,. This is not a part in a vehicle that gets wear and tear on it. It is just the luck of the draw as to whether it was manufactured properly on your particular van I guess. Quite annoying since I paid the extra $750 when I bought the van in August 2015 for the navigation, and I have only really used it 40-50 times in the past 4.5 years. Lesson learned I guess. I was warned about Dodge before buying the van. I should have spent a little extra and went with the competition. You truly do get what you pay for (unless it is a Dodge navigation system of course)

Kris

·
Super Moderator
3,984 Posts
Use google maps on your phone. It updates automatically and even reroutes around traffic jams.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Use google maps on your phone. It updates automatically and even reroutes around traffic jams.
Yes of course that is an option. However it is the principle of it. I paid $750 to have navigation on the big screen display. For it to fry out after just 4.5 years and minimal use is just not acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
4,830 Posts
Lesson learned I guess. I was warned about Dodge before buying the van. I should have spent a little extra and went with the competition. You truly do get what you pay for (unless it is a Dodge navigation system of course)
So you think the competition would have treated you any better? Spending extra would have gotten you S#!t. Same thing in every company, not one company is fully reliable. This is a software/infotainment issue. Do you know how many issues EVERY manufacture has with this? My friend has a 2019 Honda Accord with a bunch of bells and whistles. His screen goes wonky sometimes and goes out, just like we see a lot. I have another friend with a Toyota and he's been in and out of the dealer with his for the screen. It's an electronic component, those are the things that are going to fail the most.

For paying extra for the Nav, and not really intending on using it sounds like a personal problem. This would be like buying a used snow blower. It worked when you got it, use it a few times but the winters haven't been bad to use it. Then one day comes around and you decide sure I will be lazy and use it - now it doesn't start or doesn't run right. Spent the money on it for the convenience and now it doesn't work. The manufacture must be crap! If you just came here to hate on our brand that many of us do like (not all have had troubleless times here), and not even own our car then that is how you will experience some hostility. If you want some help, then we are glad to - but not with this kind of attitude.

Look I understand the frustration. That's a decent amount of cash to drop on something that now doesn't work. But you have to understand, again it's software and an infotainment system. This is where all the issues might lie. And actually I do think Dodge is screwing the van owners over apparently (since two two have ventured here in the span of a few months). This is the same Uconnect model (I believe) that the Dart uses, also the Journey and the previous model of the Charger. We who have a 2015 Darts with the Nav did get a recall notice in the mail stating that there was an issues with hardware/software with the nav, causing the Nav to lock. I am one of those effected people, however I have never had the issue. If your van was in the same build time frame, then it's possible that was also effected but they tried to limit it and not include others to save money. We were given something crazy like a 10 year extended warranty. Which was quite generous. Here is a post showing the letter Extended Radio Warranty! but that is only for dodge darts. It's worth showing this picture to the dealer and bring up that your Uconnect might be the same type so it might be suffering from the same issue. They will probably not accept that and say they are different, but it's probably the only chance you have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same issue with my 2014 Dodge Journey with the 8.4n uConnect. I've been dealing with it since 12/19. There's actually a Recall Campaign for it, R65. Bad thing is, the "no customer service" reps at uConnect are HORRIBLE. I've been assigned a "case manager" that doesn't respond to emails or phone calls. I've been told the unit was backordered nationwide, but I can find it on the internet new through the Mopar website; I'm not paying their price when it's a Recall. I've been to the dealership 4 times now, and it's still not fixed. The latest trip to the dealership, I was told the new head unit had arrived, just to sit there for an hour and a half, and find out it was the wrong unit. The dealership ordered the correct head unit, but uConnect sent the touchscreen, NOT the unit that was ordered. I would say that I'm surprised, but I'd be lying. This has been, quite possibly, the worst experience I've had with a manufacturer...ever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So you think the competition would have treated you any better? Spending extra would have gotten you S#!t. Same thing in every company, not one company is fully reliable. This is a software/infotainment issue. Do you know how many issues EVERY manufacture has with this? My friend has a 2019 Honda Accord with a bunch of bells and whistles. His screen goes wonky sometimes and goes out, just like we see a lot. I have another friend with a Toyota and he's been in and out of the dealer with his for the screen. It's an electronic component, those are the things that are going to fail the most.

For paying extra for the Nav, and not really intending on using it sounds like a personal problem. This would be like buying a used snow blower. It worked when you got it, use it a few times but the winters haven't been bad to use it. Then one day comes around and you decide sure I will be lazy and use it - now it doesn't start or doesn't run right. Spent the money on it for the convenience and now it doesn't work. The manufacture must be crap! If you just came here to hate on our brand that many of us do like (not all have had troubleless times here), and not even own our car then that is how you will experience some hostility. If you want some help, then we are glad to - but not with this kind of attitude.

Look I understand the frustration. That's a decent amount of cash to drop on something that now doesn't work. But you have to understand, again it's software and an infotainment system. This is where all the issues might lie. And actually I do think Dodge is screwing the van owners over apparently (since two two have ventured here in the span of a few months). This is the same Uconnect model (I believe) that the Dart uses, also the Journey and the previous model of the Charger. We who have a 2015 Darts with the Nav did get a recall notice in the mail stating that there was an issues with hardware/software with the nav, causing the Nav to lock. I am one of those effected people, however I have never had the issue. If your van was in the same build time frame, then it's possible that was also effected but they tried to limit it and not include others to save money. We were given something crazy like a 10 year extended warranty. Which was quite generous. Here is a post showing the letter Extended Radio Warranty! but that is only for dodge darts. It's worth showing this picture to the dealer and bring up that your Uconnect might be the same type so it might be suffering from the same issue. They will probably not accept that and say they are different, but it's probably the only chance you have.
Oh I did plan on using the gps unit a lot more for travel etc, but then some family sicknesses came up and we didn’t travel nearly as much as anticipated unfortunately.

Didn’t realize this was a forum for Dodge Darts before my original post lol. This is just the first site that pops up when you google “dodge caravan can’t unlock maps.” My bad there. Sorry :s.

Anyways. Just wanted to thank you very much for the warranty link you posted. I used that and a few more phone calls and dealership is replacing the unit free of charge.

·
Super Moderator
4,830 Posts
Oh I did plan on using the gps unit a lot more for travel etc, but then some family sicknesses came up and we didn’t travel nearly as much as anticipated unfortunately.

Didn’t realize this was a forum for Dodge Darts before my original post lol. This is just the first site that pops up when you google “dodge caravan can’t unlock maps.” My bad there. Sorry :s.

Anyways. Just wanted to thank you very much for the warranty link you posted. I used that and a few more phone calls and dealership is replacing the unit free of charge.
This is great news! Didn't mean to come off harsh. A lot of people will join here just to bash on our car because they don't like it (and don't even own it) or do own it and an issue or maybe simple maintenance would have prevented them from having a better experience. But instead they just trash on the car, the brand, and all. It's definitely not the best, they have flaws, and their quality on some things (electronics) can be questioned heavily. But there is usually a solution out there, and we are glad this helped you out!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts