Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just moved to NC. My parents live here. I'm from GA and we don't have state inspections.

Here in NC they do. So you won't pass inspection in NC with illegal tint. I dont see ANY cars with NC tags and blacked out windows so i kinda stand out like a sore thumb here.

Today I was taking the kids (my bro and sis) to the bowling ally. Traffic was backed up and I got into the left lane a little early crossing the yellow lines.
She pulled me over. Saw the kids and GA tags and gave me a warning.

She never said ANYTHING about the windows or tag cover. I thought it was odd cause NC is supposed to be extremely strict on tint and traffic laws.

So can they not issue tint tickets to out of state vehicles? Anyone know?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Most states will allow 30 to 60 days to comply with new tags and any other requirements if you have a new address in their state.

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
Visiting cars can get tickets; but not usually if you're abiding by your own states' law [as far as exhaust and tint goes anyway]. Moving violation, you get ticketed for if the cop is feeling like being an ass.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most states will allow 30 to 60 days to comply with new tags and any other requirements if you have a new address in their state.
Yes. Well I'm a college student so I think I'm exempt. I'm still a Student at Georgia Southern University and am temp living in NC as of now. If I change my residency it would affect my tuition status. So I think as long as I'm in school I don't have to change it

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Looks like NC's tint law is 35%, GA's is 32%. Technically, you could be legal in GA but not in NC. What is your percentage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Visiting cars can get tickets; but not usually if you're abiding by your own states' law [as far as exhaust and tint goes anyway]. Moving violation, you get ticketed for if the cop is feeling like being an ass.
Respect goes a long way on a traffic stop. A lot depends on attitude and how bad the violation was. Show respect and get respect but there are those that just like to write tickets!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Respect goes a long way on a traffic stop. A lot depends on attitude and how bad the violation was. Show respect and get respect but there are those that just like to write tickets!!!
^^ This exactly ^^

I have a nephew and a cousin who are county deputies (different counties), 2 good friends who are NY State Troopers and since I work IT for county govt, I know quite a few county deputies and local cops and will tell you for fact that unless you're doing something stupid, if you treat the cop with respect then a lot of times they will just let you go with a warning. Especially if you have a car seat or kids in the car with you. Do note however that they do put those "warnings" in their database so if you get pulled over again for the same thing, the next cop will know that a warning was issued and probably write you up. That being said, unless it's a moving violation, then local ordinances that are contradictory to the state your vehicle is registered in can be and often are overlooked.

·
Registered
74 Posts
@sx4dude2013 Random question but what brand of tint and where did you get your tint done? That tint looks nice as hell and I live in Georgia so I might go to the same place depending where it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts