Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Dart SXT, it has the 2.4L Tigershark. It has 125,000 miles on it. It gets regular oil changes and has generally not had any issues. On 4/20 the check engine light came on. Then went off by itself the next day. The code had to do with the oil pressure sensor. I planned to replace it, then got busy. Fast forward to 5/12...a full synthetic oil change was completed by Instalube. Next day the car starts very rough with bad idle and struggling to accelerate (was moved from one parking space to another). A few minutes later the idle is normal and the car accelerates fine. I took it straight to the mechanic. The codes are P1065 and P1069. I'm being told to take it to the dealership. I have had bad experiences with them. Can anyone tell what's wrong my car? I want to know before I take it for repair so I don't get screwed.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,388 Posts
Check the oil level. It may be low if they did not put in the correct amount. If that is not the problem, you may have a MultiAir problem and that probably should need a dealer visit. It does not matter which dealer you take it to if you had a problem with the previous dealer.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 2.4L / Diagnosis and Testing

P1065-CYLINDER 1 SOLENOID VALVE SWITCH ON TIME OUT OF RANGE

Theory of Operation

Multi-Air is an electronically controlled variable intake valve phase and lift system. Unlike conventional intake valve phase and lift system which controls all the cylinder intake valves simultaneously and in the same proportion; Multi-Air, through the use of an electronically controlled “ hydraulic link” between the camshaft and intake valve, allowing for each intake valve to be controlled independently. The valve lift and timing can be adjusted infinitely.

The Multi-Air valve train has a mechanical camshaft lobe acting on a hydraulic pump located between the camshaft intake lobe and the intake valve. The pump provides oil under pressure to a two-way electro-hydraulic solenoid valve called the Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid. The VVA Solenoid is electronically controlled during the specific intake cam lobe event by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). During the event the VVA Solenoid is commanded to either hold oil pressure or bleed oil. The Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid is a normally open solenoid. The PCM provides 12 volts to close the solenoid. The position of the VVA Solenoid determines the intake valve timing and lift. This change on valve action is similar to creating a change in the camshaft lobe profile affecting lift and duration of the valve opening.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs when the following condition is met:

•With the engine running.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) measures the time needed to turn on the VVA Solenoid. When the PCM recognizes that the VVA Solenoids switch on time is too fast or too slow a fault is set.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

ENGINE OIL LEVEL LOW
ENGINE OIL AERATED OR CONTAMINATED
INCORRECT ENGINE OIL FILTER
INSUFFICIENT OIL PRESSURE DUE TO A MECHANICAL FAILURE IN THE OILING SYSTEM
VVA ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM), 2.4L / Diagnosis and Testing

P1069-CYLINDER 3 OIL SUPPLY SOLENOID VALVE SWITCH ON TIME OUT OF RANGE

Theory of Operation

Multi-Air is an electronically controlled variable intake valve phase and lift system. Unlike conventional intake valve phase and lift system which controls all the cylinder intake valves simultaneously and in the same proportion; Multi-Air, through the use of an electronically controlled “ hydraulic link” between the camshaft and intake valve, allowing for each intake valve to be controlled independently. The valve lift and timing can be adjusted infinitely.

The Multi-Air valve train has a mechanical camshaft lobe acting on a hydraulic pump located between the camshaft intake lobe and the intake valve. The pump provides oil under pressure to a two-way electro-hydraulic solenoid valve called the Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid. The VVA Solenoid is electronically controlled during the specific intake cam lobe event by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). During the event the VVA Solenoid is commanded to either hold oil pressure or bleed oil. The Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid is a normally open solenoid. The PCM provides 12 volts to close the solenoid. The position of the VVA Solenoid determines the intake valve timing and lift. This change on valve action is similar to creating a change in the camshaft lobe profile affecting lift and duration of the valve opening.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs when the following condition is met:

•With the engine running.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) measures the time needed to turn on the VVA Solenoid. When the PCM recognizes that the VVA Solenoids switch on time is too fast or too slow a fault is set.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

ENGINE OIL LEVEL LOW
ENGINE OIL AERATED OR CONTAMINATED
INCORRECT ENGINE OIL FILTER
INSUFFICIENT OIL PRESSURE DUE TO A MECHANICAL FAILURE IN THE OILING SYSTEM
VVA ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I did check the oil level and it was full. The car has now been sitting for two days so I'll check it again. If it's fine I'll make a dealership appointment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts