Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to the local parts place and they read the code P1061 Maps sensor : circuits low.

Do I just need a new sensor?? Or what are some of your thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
Either you copied something wrong or your parts place is wrong and just wants to sell you a part you don't need. If it is P1061, your MultiAir is failing. If it is the description that is a different code and there is a wiring problem. When a description has the word circuit, you want to check the wiring before buying a part.

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

P1061-00-CYLINDER 1 OIL SUPPLY SOLENOID VALVE STUCK

Theory of Operation

Multi-Air is an electronically controlled variable intake valve phase and lift system. Unlike conventional intake valve phase and lift system which controls all the cylinder intake valves simultaneously and in the same proportion; Multi-Air, through the use of an electronically controlled “ hydraulic link” between the camshaft and intake valve, allowing for each intake valve to be controlled independently. The valve lift and timing can be adjusted infinitely.

The Multi-Air valve train has a mechanical camshaft lobe acting on a hydraulic pump located between the camshaft intake lobe and the intake valve. The pump provides oil under pressure to a two-way electro-hydraulic solenoid valve called the Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid. The VVA Solenoid is electronically controlled during the specific intake cam lobe event by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). During the event the VVA Solenoid is commanded to either hold oil pressure or bleed oil. The Variable Valve Actuator (VVA) Solenoid is a normally open solenoid. The PCM provides 12 volts to close the solenoid. The position of the VVA Solenoid determines the intake valve timing and lift. This change on valve action is similar to creating a change in the camshaft lobe profile affecting lift and duration of the valve opening.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•With the engine running.
•With no Battery voltage or ASD Relay faults active.

Set Conditions:

•The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the feedback current and determines that the VVA Solenoid is stuck.

Default Actions:

•The MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

ENGINE OILING SYSTEM ISSUE
VVA SOLENOID

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

P0107-00-MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW

Theory of Operation

The Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor and the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor are combined into one component. The PCM provides a common 5-Volt Supply and sensor ground that is shared by both sensors. Each of these sensors sends feedback to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on it's own signal circuit. The MAP Sensor is a transducer that varies resistance according to changes in altitude and atmospheric conditions. With the ignition on and the engine not running, the MAP Sensor provides the PCM with the Barometric Pressure reading. When the engine is running, the MAP Sensor signal supplies the PCM with the current air pressure within the Intake Manifold. The IAT Sensor signal supplies the PCM with the temperature of the air entering the Intake Manifold. This information is used by the PCM, along with other inputs to calculate fuel delivery, and timing needs.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored:

•This diagnostic runs continuously with the ignition on.

Set Conditions:

•The MAP Sensor signal voltage is below 0.059 volts for 0.5 seconds.

Default Actions:

•ETC light will flash.
•MIL light will illuminate.

Possible Causes

5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
MAP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
MAP SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT
MAP SENSOR
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
What photo??
P codes that start with a "1" are manufacturer specific codes. Generic scanners usually are wrong with their descriptions about manufacturer specific codes. Do NOT replace the MAP sensor. That description is wrong for P1061. If you do some googling, you will see that in FIAT and FCA vehicles, it refers to the MultiAir.
The MutiAir is not something you want to play with yourself.

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
So according to that scanner, the definition for that DTC is not available. How did a parts monkey make that into a MAP Sensor failure? Hmmm, make something up and sell a $50 part that the unsuspecting customer does not need? This is why you should never trust a parts store employee. Get yourself the alfaOBD app and the OBDLinkMX and never depend on someone who knows less than you do.
You still need to deal with a possible MultiAir failure. The MultiAir block is not repairable. You want to verify the wiring between the cylinder 1 solenoid and the PCM. The MultiAir block is quite expensive and the tool to install it is even more expensive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
May you please send a link to the code readers you recommend?... I will have to purchase one right away. I don't want this to become a ongoing issue and would like to see what the true trouble may be... And if it's super serious ect I can will be bringing it to a shop.

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
The scanner:

The app:

Any android device like a phone or tablet. There is a windows version but it is not easy to set up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I did a test... I uninstalled my tuner... And then started it up... Check engine light and the rough idle went away.. so it was my tuner.. I hope i can get the tuner reflashed to work proper with my car in the future.

We will see tm morning aswell letting it sit over night if that was the trouble ..

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
So I did a test... I uninstalled my tuner... And then started it up... Check engine light and the rough idle went away.. so it was my tuner.. I hope i can get the tuner reflashed to work proper with my car in the future.

We will see tm morning aswell letting it sit over night if that was the trouble ..
That's why we tell people don't use Unichip products. It's not a real tune even, it's a generic product that is not specific to the Dart. To put it simply, the Unichip is just a signal reader/modifier.

They have real tunes available for your Dart from a few different companies.. Real, as in the ECU itself is modified.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts