Dodge Dart Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Hmm. yes, the Neon used drum-in-hat rotors. I haven't given it a lot of thought. I think I'd have to look backwards in Fiat parts bins to see what they've done. Trying to merge something like the Neon's setup would be more work than it's worth. FCA really did some... interesting things designing the Dart. They looked a lot more in Italy's parts bins and designs than they did Chrysler's.
I'll save you some work, the rear of the darts is 3 bolts for the wheel bearing and all the conversion kits ive seen have been 4 bolts, i havent found any rear LCA that look remotely like a dart that have drum in hat design. It got to the point i got frustrated with the idea and stopped looking. the bolting of the backing plate with only 3 bolts seems to be a hold up. I could only imagine what a custom fab job would take.

I concur tat the effort to do outweighs the benefits. But if it could be done?!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just installed it on my Dart yesterday!
Smile
this kit has 4 piston calipers, 330 mm front rotors 27?mm rear rotors stainless steel brakes lines for front and rear, and pads for front and rear. The calipers are only for the fronts rears are stock sized, probably from the slotted rotor kit

I'm not sure if single piston calipers with rubber lines is legit.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Pics for proooooooof ahahah MOPAR cheated out and only gave upgraded callipers for the fronts?!?!? Typical.

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts
An important item that hasn't been mentioned here yet: you must have minimum 18" wheels to use this kit. If you have 17" wheels, this is something you need to consider when budgeting for an already very big ticket item. Also, if you run 16" or 17" steelies with winter tires, you need to consider whether you are willing to swap the brakes out every 6 months.

Honestly, there was a big brake kit available for the Dart a couple of years ago from one of our supporting vendors, and it just wasn't popular. It was expensive, they sold almost none of them, and they discontinued it. The general sentiment was that the Dart already has excellent braking characteristics right out of the box, and without making the car much faster than anybody has actually done to date, it was very hard for anybody to justify the high price of a high quality BBK. Similar to the Mopar kit, it was only for the front wheels. A kit for the rear brakes would add significant expense without adding much in terms of gains. I just can't see very many people being in a hurry to drop USD $2,400.00 on a big brake kit for a Dart, unless they regularly track their car.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Good point @jsblanch but for anyone planning on upgrading to a turbo, you may want to seriously consider the BBK option. I'll waiting for @DeyemeRacing to complete theirs.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Good point @jsblanch but for anyone planning on upgrading to a turbo, you may want to seriously consider the BBK option. I'll waiting for @DeyemeRacing to complete theirs.
you don't need the BBK for the turbo upgrade.

*clears throat*

Has anyone even looked at the OEM rotors??!?!?! They are probably the beefiest rotors offered OEM. Hell just to upgrade to a "poor man's" BBK (yes, what I did here we call the poor man's BBK (and I thought what I did was overkill after taking off the front rotors)) like I did would be well enough and suited for a "turbo" application. These $2300 BBK applications are warranted for something that is going to push 350-400+ HP and torque out the wazoo. I'm all for people wanting to get excited about the Dart platform and new parts for the Dart and what not. But for the same of all that's holy, spend your money wisely and do your due diligence before you plop down the money.

No, I'm not telling people how to spend your money, that's not my place in the world. What I am saying is spend it wisely and thoughtfully. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. A BBK on a sub 200hp car is absurd, even with a turbo pushing north of 200 (250+) HP is even absurd as the stock OEM rotors are rock solid and beefier than they even need be. Just because it says Mopar doesn't mean the price is warranted or that it NEEDS to be installed...

/two cents.
//this is not directed at anyone, just my two cents on the old adage of "look before you leap" as well as "just because you have money, doesn't mean you should spend it."

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
you don't need the BBK for the turbo upgrade.

*clears throat*

Has anyone even looked at the OEM rotors??!?!?! They are probably the beefiest rotors offered OEM. Hell just to upgrade to a "poor man's" BBK (yes, what I did here we call the poor man's BBK (and I thought what I did was overkill after taking off the front rotors)) like I did would be well enough and suited for a "turbo" application. These $2300 BBK applications are warranted for something that is going to push 350-400+ HP and torque out the wazoo. I'm all for people wanting to get excited about the Dart platform and new parts for the Dart and what not. But for the same of all that's holy, spend your money wisely and do your due diligence before you plop down the money.

No, I'm not telling people how to spend your money, that's not my place in the world. What I am saying is spend it wisely and thoughtfully. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. A BBK on a sub 200hp car is absurd, even with a turbo pushing north of 200 (250+) HP is even absurd as the stock OEM rotors are rock solid and beefier than they even need be. Just because it says Mopar doesn't mean the price is warranted or that it NEEDS to be installed...

/two cents.
//this is not directed at anyone, just my two cents on the old adage of "look before you leap" as well as "just because you have money, doesn't mean you should spend it."
Agreed. While I am sure they stop well, at the point of getting the Mopar BBK, it would only be for looks IMO. I know that's essentially why I installed my knew rotors... I had no issues with stopping power on stock brakes and rotors. But I got a steal on the rotors, and they looked great. Soooo I dropped the money :p

If I had unlimited funds, I would buy it. They would look sick, and I'd throw on a turbo kit, and every other part I could think of to make it look awesome, and go fast. But, I don't have unlimited funds. I don't even think all of my mods TOGETHER (I have a long list) even equal $2200. And that includes brakes, rotors, exhaust, intake, lights (i spend a lot on lights), road race tuner/pulley etc. I actually just did a number crunch on the biggest price items and it doesn't even hit $2200. Don't forget you will probably be taxed and or charged shipping on that too. Which could be another $150+ depending on where you live.

There is just no purpose for a big brake kit stock or lightly modded, and that's far too much money just to look cool. There are some users that track their cars, and really use them hard. Maybe those users would benefit, but at that point they sometimes have sponsors and supporters that might help pay some of that cost.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Reactions: McLabia

·
Premium Member
6,496 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nice to see that it have be had for less than $2K now, but that's still a lot of cash for questionable performance benefits. It would be one thing if the Dart was a dog at braking, but that's actually one of its best performance characteristics.
Agreed.
One of the people above mentioned they'd do it for looks if they had an unlimited budget. I'd have to say I would too. Came across this part when I was pricing out the Scat Pack build for the dart.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.