Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new to the page and I figured this would be a good place to start since I know nothing about these cars but I'm looking to purchase one. This is the link to the car I'm looking at - Rocky Motors.

I've heard there are some issues with transmission reliability, but also that that's less of an issue on the manual. Unfortunately the type of engine isn't listed, all I know is it's a 6-speed manual - not sure if that helps. I think I'll be checking the car out in person tomorrow, but wanted to get some general input from people who actually know the car.

Any issues I should be specifically looking for?

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
4,117 Posts
Get the VIN and then get a build sheet to see what the options are.

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm new to the page and I figured this would be a good place to start since I know nothing about these cars but I'm looking to purchase one. This is the link to the car I'm looking at - Rocky Motors.

I've heard there are some issues with transmission reliability, but also that that's less of an issue on the manual. Unfortunately the type of engine isn't listed, all I know is it's a 6-speed manual - not sure if that helps. I think I'll be checking the car out in person tomorrow, but wanted to get some general input from people who actually know the car.

Thanks for your help!
It's a Dart GT (obvious from the wheels, but it also says GT on the trunk) so it has the 2.4L Tigershark engine. The biggest issue is oil consumption issues that a significant number of 2.4L engines experience. There is a service campaign for a software fix that addresses "excessive vacuum" that apparently causes oil to get past the piston rings, but to date I think it only applies to 2014 Darts. Find out if there are service records for this car to see if the previous owner(s) has complained of excessive oil consumption.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Thanks for your help!

This vehicle is actually a 6 Speed automatic. The Description has it listed as a manual but the pictures show a automatic transmission. There's nothing wrong with the automatic in the Dart GT. Its a Powertech unit built by Hyundai, and Its quite reliable. I believe you may have read about the 6 Speed Dual Clutch used in the 1.4L turbo models. Those did have some issues. The only thing to be concerned with is the oil consumption on the 2.4L engine, which jsblanch already mentioned. There's a software update that will supposedly address that issue. Also, I could be wrong, but I believe the VIN on the unit you're looking at is 1C3CDFEB2FD346863. I just pulled up the warranty history and its very clean. In service Date was July 25, 2015. There was a claim for a PCM issue on October of 2017, and then the V34(recall) Shift cable bushing was performed in December of 2020. I dont see anything about a oil consumption test in the warranty history. That doesnt mean the vehicle doesn't have the issue. Its possible the original owner just never brought it in to a dealership to have checked out. Also, FWIW, I can only see work that was performed at a Registered FCA dealer. Heres the original window sticker if you're interested.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
That is the Dart GT. It's the top trim level and the best one in my opinion. The GT has a stiffer suspension than other trims and a different final drive to give it quicker acceleration. The 2.4 engine paired with the 6 speed automatic is a great choice. It can chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift and sometimes even the 2-3 shift. It's a hard and fast shifting transmission. You can also control the speed and firmness of the shift based on your throttle input.

The Dart GT handles corners like a champ and begs for more. Little to no understeer for a FWD car. One of the best features on these cars.

The 2.4 engine paired with the auto trans has lots of torque at low rpms, while still giving you ample horsepower at upper rpms. With the auto you will be in 3rd gear until 4mph(7kph), so it can chug along like a tractor. The 2.4 engine sounds amazing for a non-turbo four cylinder.

The Dart, when released, had a lot of tech and features for a car in that price range. Keyless entry is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The touchscreen works fast too (My Dodge Ram 1500 has a touchscreen that takes forever to react to finger inputs).

I leased a 2014 GT in 2014. After 2 years the lease was up so I bought it out. The first newish car I have ever purchased. In 2016 my garage burnt down and so did my Dart. I immediately went out and bought the same exact car to replace it. That's how much I loved it. I drive mine hard and shift it hard everyday without any issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts