Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Periodically, when I open and close the driver's door, ALL of the instrument cluster needles bounce up and down for a second. They don't do this in a controlled manor either, they bounce different heights multiple times before finally resting in their usual position. This doesn't happen every time the door is opened or closed, however, it is usually when the car has sat overnight regardless of outside temperature. I took it to the dealership once as it is a 2016 and I'm the first owner. They of course could not replicate the problem but did service the active bulletins on the PCM and transmission. They claimed it might fix the problem but when I picked the car up the needles did their little dance again and I didn't bother going back in to tell them. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I found some forums for other vehicles and it seems to be a pretty common issue for Chrysler, but I haven't been able to find anything on Darts specifically. I also checked the battery with a voltmeter and also while cranking, and the numbers are where they should be. The alternator is also charging the battery. I've never had a long crank (only once on a very cold day) or no start issue, so there's really nothing there that points me in any particular direction which makes it seem like I'm fumbling in the dark. If it's any help, I've owned the car for about 2 months and the issue started happening after 2 weeks. I also have a hard time keeping my Bluetooth connected, but that's for another day/more research as I found many threads saying Uconnect and Verizon seem to not like each other... but maybe it is in some way connected to the gauge problem?

One last bit of info, after the quick second the needles do this, all of the gauges operate correctly while driving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the duplicate post, new to this. I did a few searches for gauges and instrument cluster but could not find anything short of battery threads that did not mention the gauge problem. I'll keep looking

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
Sorry for the duplicate post, new to this. I did a few searches for gauges and instrument cluster but could not find anything short of battery threads that did not mention the gauge problem. I'll keep looking
Not to thread jack... but I noticed your name and was wondering... Did I find you on the Garage Amino app last night? I use the same name for here and there as well!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries, I found a decent thread on here similar to my problem but found that their dealership ultimately blew them off just like mine. But yes, I do remember your name and I do have that app with the same username!

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
No worries, I found a decent thread on here similar to my problem but found that their dealership ultimately blew them off just like mine. But yes, I do remember your name and I do have that app with the same username!
:) Cool! Where in IL do you live, if i may ask?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A nice quiet small town south of Joliet, I think I'm going to go ahead and contact you on the app, got a few questions about that nice Dart of yours

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
A nice quiet small town south of Joliet, I think I'm going to go ahead and contact you on the app, got a few questions about that nice Dart of yours
Sounds like a plan! I live up north a little further in Barrington. But ask away my friend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Periodically, when I open and close the driver's door, ALL of the instrument cluster needles bounce up and down for a second. They don't do this in a controlled manor either, they bounce different heights multiple times before finally resting in their usual position. This doesn't happen every time the door is opened or closed, however, it is usually when the car has sat overnight regardless of outside temperature. I took it to the dealership once as it is a 2016 and I'm the first owner. They of course could not replicate the problem but did service the active bulletins on the PCM and transmission. They claimed it might fix the problem but when I picked the car up the needles did their little dance again and I didn't bother going back in to tell them. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I found some forums for other vehicles and it seems to be a pretty common issue for Chrysler, but I haven't been able to find anything on Darts specifically. I also checked the battery with a voltmeter and also while cranking, and the numbers are where they should be. The alternator is also charging the battery. I've never had a long crank (only once on a very cold day) or no start issue, so there's really nothing there that points me in any particular direction which makes it seem like I'm fumbling in the dark. If it's any help, I've owned the car for about 2 months and the issue started happening after 2 weeks. I also have a hard time keeping my Bluetooth connected, but that's for another day/more research as I found many threads saying Uconnect and Verizon seem to not like each other... but maybe it is in some way connected to the gauge problem?

One last bit of info, after the quick second the needles do this, all of the gauges operate correctly while driving.
Was it doing something like this ? I couldn’t upload a video so this is a screen shot . Imagine a beeping and the tach bouncing up and down .
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Car Automotive design

1 - 13 of 13 Posts