Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Dart SXT 2.0L 67,000 miles. When fueling car gas comes back up towards pump nozzle and shuts the pump off. I can only fuel for about 2 seconds at a time. I have tried various gas stations, holding the pump at different angles, etc. I took it into the dealer and they replaced two things: 1. Filter fuel vapor canister (part number 4627332ab) 2. Leak detect pump (part number 4861961ab). They said it was fixed and I drove off. I went to pump gas and the problem still existed. I took the car to another mechanic. He dropped the gas tank, inspected the area, and concluded that I had a venting issue. Made sense to me since the gas was coming back up to the gas pump when fueling. He said the gas pump (which is in the tank) is part of the venting system and that the pump would probably have to be replaced. He quoted about $300 on the part and roughly $200 on the labor. I told him to hold up because I wanted to see if I could work out a deal with the dealer first to see if I could get money back on labor that didn't fix the issue. Regardless, any thoughts on this? Has anyone experienced this before? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I would look very carefully for a kinked or pinched evap hose around the fuel tank. There are some vent components that are part of the fuel tank which may require fuel tank replacement. Here is a schematic of the 2.0 evap syatem:
dart20evap.jpg

dart20evap1.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
2013 Dart SXT 2.0L 67,000 miles. When fueling car gas comes back up towards pump nozzle and shuts the pump off. I can only fuel for about 2 seconds at a time. I have tried various gas stations, holding the pump at different angles, etc. I took it into the dealer and they replaced two things: 1. Filter fuel vapor canister (part number 4627332ab) 2. Leak detect pump (part number 4861961ab). They said it was fixed and I drove off. I went to pump gas and the problem still existed. I took the car to another mechanic. He dropped the gas tank, inspected the area, and concluded that I had a venting issue. Made sense to me since the gas was coming back up to the gas pump when fueling. He said the gas pump (which is in the tank) is part of the venting system and that the pump would probably have to be replaced. He quoted about $300 on the part and roughly $200 on the labor. I told him to hold up because I wanted to see if I could work out a deal with the dealer first to see if I could get money back on labor that didn't fix the issue. Regardless, any thoughts on this? Has anyone experienced this before? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to ask... but im going to... HAve you tried pulling the nozzle out of the fill tube just an inch or two? the back pressure is what shuts off the gas pumps... If you have too much pressure or a sensitive pump that will happens constantly! If you pull the nozzle out about an inch or 2 it will allow more back pressure out around the nozzle but will still stop the overfill when the tank become full.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to ask... but im going to... HAve you tried pulling the nozzle out of the fill tube just an inch or two? the back pressure is what shuts off the gas pumps... If you have too much pressure or a sensitive pump that will happens constantly! If you pull the nozzle out about an inch or 2 it will allow more back pressure out around the nozzle but will still stop the overfill when the tank become full.
Good question. Yes, I probably looked like an idiot at the gas stations adjusting the angle of the nozzle 77 times. I did pull it out as well but to no avail. I tried various gas stations as well. In the three years I've owned the car, this has never happened except the last two weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Good question. Yes, I probably looked like an idiot at the gas stations adjusting the angle of the nozzle 77 times. I did pull it out as well but to no avail. I tried various gas stations as well. In the three years I've owned the car, this has never happened except the last two weeks.
Man thats pretty crazy... maybe the relief hose (#11) would be the one that might be either pinched or clogged... causing a backup in the tank and too much pressure in the nozzle.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
soccr3jc said:
On the schematic you posted, would #s 2, 9, and 11 be the hoses to check?
I would look at all the hoses. You do not need to drop the tank. Pull up the back seat and there is an access panel.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
I would look at all the hoses. You do not need to drop the tank. Pull up the back seat and there is an access panel.
I there the same thing on the 1.4T? I have been wondering about that...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man thats pretty crazy... maybe the relief hose (#11) would be the one that might be either pinched or clogged... causing a backup in the tank and too much pressure in the nozzle.
I just called the second mechanic that I took it to. He checked all the hoses and everything looked great. No kinks or anything. He's confident it has something to do with the fuel pump...maybe a busted diaphragm or something. He's also perplexed, though, why they would vent the tank that way. The mechanic is trusted in my town and I used to use him all the time with an older car I had.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Did you notice the grade vent valve and fuel inlet check valve inside the tank? Tell your mechanic about those. If your phone can get on the internet, show him those pics or print them out. Unfortunately, that internal hose and valves are not separate items to replace. The whole tank would need to be replaced.

All Darts have the access panel.

dartfuelpump1.jpg

dartfuelpump3.jpg

More from the FSM:

The evaporative emissions system is designed to control the release of fuel vapors into the atmosphere. The Multi-Function Control Valve (14) and Grade Vent Valve (16) are used to reduce emissions due to the venting of vapor expansion within the Fuel Tank (17). When fuel evaporates from the fuel tank, vapors pass through the Canister Tube (5) to the Evaporative Charcoal Canister (4) where they are temporarily held. When the engine is running, the vapors are drawn into the intake manifold through the Purge Tube (6). In addition, fuel vapors produced during vehicle refueling are allowed to pass through the Recirculation Tube (11) to the Evaporative Charcoal Canister (4) for temporary storage (prior to being drawn into the intake manifold). The Multi-Function Control Valve (14) and Grade Vent Valve (16) are non-serviceable components of the fuel tank assembly. The system is equipped with self-diagnosing capability using an Evaporative System Integrity Monitor (3) (Refer to 25 - Emissions Control/Evaporative Emissions/SWITCH, Evaporative Emissions System Monitor - Operation) .

The Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (10) provides the PCM with information on vapor pressure inside the fuel tank. Excessive fuel tank pressure could cause fuel vapors to vent out the fuel filler cap or damage system components while insufficient fuel tank pressure (vacuum) caused by lack of fresh air entering the tank to take the place of consumed fuel, could lead to a collapsed tank, lines or loss of fuel pressure.

The Inlet Check Valve (18) prevents fuel from splashing back on the customer during vehicle refueling. This valve is also a non-serviceable component of the fuel tank assembly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
'13 Dart with almost 125,000 miles. I had this issue last winter/spring when it was below freezing. It's been fine all summer but I know it will return soon when it gets cold out. Seems to be a little rare for the Darts, anyone else having this issue?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts