Dodge Dart Forum banner

Fuel Injector Issues

8K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  jakeumm 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there everyone. I just recently joined this group in hopes I could get a little help. I own a 2013 dodge dart rallye with the 1.4 turbo. A month ago I had changed three of four sparks plugs but could not change the first one due to the engine not running and not being able to remove the hoses. After two days driving my car got rough again and i remembered I needed to change that spark plug so I did. When I did I had seen some gas or oil buildup inside my cylinder. I assumed because my plug was not good it just didn’t completely burn. After changing the last plug my car ran well for a day and then it started to run very rough. Engine shakes, smoke emitting, not much power at all and a horrible smell from the gas or oil not burning. I assume it is my injector at the point or my ignition coil. I’ll attach the codes but any help would be appreciated. I’ll be doing labour at home. Thanks again and cheers! Codes: P0302 , P2097 , and states turbocharger underboost. Some other codes popped up but just for sae reserved and anti lock break system.

#3 ·
The 1.4 engine eventually gets problems with the ignition coils that connect to the spark plugs. Replace all of them because they will all fail one after another. The oil on the spark plug means that the seal on the spark plug tube well is leaking. You will need to replace the valve cover gasket with all the tube seals. That oil is NOT from inside the cylinder. The other code just says you are not burning all the fuel because of the misfire. If you had an injector problem, you would get a different code.

P0302-00-CYLINDER 2 MISFIRE

P2097-00-DOWNSTREAM FUEL TRIM SYSTEM 1 RICH

EXHAUST LEAK
FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
O2 SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

Reactions: 57ChryslerDart
#4 ·
The 1.4 engine eventually gets problems with the ignition coils that connect to the spark plugs. Replace all of them because they will all fail one after another. The oil on the spark plug means that the seal on the spark plug tube well is leaking. You will need to replace the valve cover gasket with all the tube seals. That oil is NOT from inside the cylinder. The other code just says you are not burning all the fuel because of the misfire. If you had an injector problem, you would get a different code.

P0302-00-CYLINDER 2 MISFIRE

P2097-00-DOWNSTREAM FUEL TRIM SYSTEM 1 RICH

EXHAUST LEAK
FUEL DELIVERY SYSTEM
O2 SENSOR, WIRING, OR CONNECTORS
ENGINE MECHANICAL SYSTEM
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)
Thank you so much for your reply! Looks like I’ll be ordering new coils and the new valve cover gasket.. this saved me from doing some unnecessary work that wouldn’t have helped at all... thank you.

#6 ·
Time for a compression check with a compression tester. Let us know what you get.

#8 ·
Is your scanner capable of reading C codes?

28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics / MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) / Diagnosis and Testing

U0415-00-IMPAUSIBLE DATA RECEIVED FROM ABS

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored: This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

•Ignition on.
•System voltage between 10.0 and 16.0 volts.
•One valid CAN message received at least once.
•No U0002-88-CAN C Bus Off Performance DTC present.

Set Conditions:

•Electric Power Steering (EPS) Module detects an incorrect CAN message from the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) Module.

Default Actions:

•EPS System has reduced or degraded assist under some conditions.

Possible Causes

ELECTRIC POWER STEERING (EPS) MODULE DTCS
ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE DTCS
ELECTRIC POWER STEERING (EPS) MODULE
ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE

#14 ·
Are any of the coil connectors broken? Especially check #4. If the lock is broken, that could cause an intermittent misfire as the engine vibrates and you momentarily lose the connection. This has happened to others if you search.
Some have also had a valve chip or burn. Taking off a valve cover will show nothing most likely. The head would need to be pulled to be certain if it turns out to be an internal problem.
If it is internal, you either become your own mechanic or sell the car. It can get quite expensive if you take it somewhere.

#18 ·
Compression tester is like 15 bucks from autozone and super easy.

If you saw oil in there its a good chance that its the valve cover gasket needs replaced. I had to get this done a couple months ago after fighting with it for so long. You can see my post history for how it worked out, but the oil getting in the sparkplug wells caused a couple of my ignition coils to short out. No misfires since

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.