Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it appears as if the button on the drivers door that opens the fuel door stopped working. You don't even hear the little motor running when you press the button. I checked the fuse (F19) and it looks okay. I also pulled the negative cable on the battery for a while to kinda reset things and it still doesn't work. :(

Last Sunday the door was frozen over and I had a hell of a time getting the stupid door to open (HORRIBLE DESIGN!) so I wonder if it burned the motor out or something...

I'm gonna assume its the little motor?

Anyone know where this little motor is? Is it on the other side of the trunk dressing?

This car I tell ya...problem after problem after problem now. :( I'm out of warranty now so I can't get any of this stuff looked at without paying for it.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to replace the entire mechanism with the ones that are push like the 14/15 models?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I second that. Maybe you can disable whatever locks the door shut (so the cap just freely opens), and then research some sort of push-button closing cap.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I second that. Maybe you can disable whatever locks the door shut (so the cap just freely opens), and then research some sort of push-button closing cap.
once that motor pulls the lock back, the compressed spring is going to pop the door open and leave it open all the time. If you're ok with that then it is an option. If the motor is failing, use the emergency release in the trunk till you can get it serviced

-pitajr

·
Banned
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if it's possible to replace the entire mechanism with the ones that are push like the 14/15 models?
That would be nice...I know the 2013 design just plain sucks. I can't believe they tested the Dart in cold weather and didn't run into this issue. If they did, I cannot believe they didn't fix it.

Regardless, my issue is simply the actuator motor that releases the door doesn't work when I press the button on the drivers side door. I wonder what the cost would be to replace just that motor, and where is the motor located? Anyone have a part # for it by chance?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've heard of this issue in cold weather, but my Dart survived a full Maine winter with it only freezing shut once. Once I thawed it out, it went through the rest of the winter fine. I like having the button so I know no one can screw with my gas, even though there's no crime like that up here anyway.

And no, sorry, but googling hasn't found me where that motor is located. So I'm no help

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Could it possibly the button itself? Try taking your door panel off and checking out things back there.....

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using DodgeDart

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is there a relay that could have gone bad? Unless you raged on that while it was frozen, or there is a TSB out there, I'd like to believe that motor is longer lasting than that.

j

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry this is a old thread, but has anyone ever found a fix for there fuel door mechanism on the there dart? My 2013 mechanism failed, and I have been using the trunk release to open the fuel door for the past few months. But now the trunk release wire broke today. I managed to get it open but broke the plastic latch that holds the door shut. Would like to try and swap in a 2015-2016 style if its possible. (I phoned a local auto wrecker and they say they have a 2015 style one they would sell me for $40 it even has the right color fuel door.) Has anyone ever attempted the swap?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry this is a old thread, but has anyone ever found a fix for there fuel door mechanism on the there dart? My 2013 mechanism failed, and I have been using the trunk release to open the fuel door for the past few months. But now the trunk release wire broke today. I managed to get it open but broke the plastic latch that holds the door shut. Would like to try and swap in a 2015-2016 style if its possible. (I phoned a local auto wrecker and they say they have a 2015 style one they would sell me for $40 it even has the right color fuel door.) Has anyone ever attempted the swap?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey man, this is wayyy late but I have a 2014 dart GT and the fuel door button also isn’t working on mine, and the dodge dealership tried to tell me it would be upwards of $2500 just to replace that. That’s over a quarter value of my car itself, so no. But I was wondering if you got the swap from the button release to a push release completed that you were talking about. If so, I’d be much appreciative of your help.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
There is no reason it should not work. Happy junkyarding! Original poster never came back with a success story, so if you are successful let us know. Here are the procedures. On the housing install, ignore the parts about the electrical connector and the actuator. The donor housing will have the mechanism for the push release.
23 - Body / Exterior / DOOR, Fuel Fill / Removal

Removal

1.Open the fuel fill door (2).

2. Insert a pick or equivalent to lift the fuel door retaining tab (3).

3.Slide the gas door (2) outward to release from fuel filler housing (1).

4.Remove fuel fill door.

23 - Body / Exterior / DOOR, Fuel Fill / Installation

Installation

1.Align fuel door (2) onto the fuel filler housing (1).

2. Slide fuel fill door (2) inward until retaining tab (3) is engaged fully.

3.Close the fuel door (2).

23 - Body / Exterior / HOUSING, Fuel Fill / Removal

REMOVAL

1.Open the fuel filler door.

2.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

3.Remove right rear wheel, (Refer to 22 - Tires and Wheels/Removal) .

4. Remove right rear wheelhouse splash shield, (Refer to 23 - Body/Exterior/SHIELD, Splash, Wheel House/Removal) .

5.From within the wheelhouse, disconnect actuator wiring connector (1).

6.With the use of a small flat bladed tool or equivalent, gently pry the two tabs (1) on the outside of the actuator (2) to release the top portion from the fuel filler housing.

7.Move the top of the actuator (1) forward.

8.Lift up slightly to release the bottom of the actuator from the fuel filler housing.

9.Rotate and angle the actuator (1) so that it will fit through the hole in the fuel filler housing.

10.Remove fuel fill door (2), (Refer to 23 - Body/Exterior/DOOR, Fuel Fill/Removal) .

11.With the use of a Remover, Trim C-4829A remove the gas cap tether (3) from the fuel filler housing.

12.On the back of the fuel filler housing, use hand pressure to release the rear lower mounting tab (2) and the rear upper mounting tab located above and move the rear lower portion of the fuel filler housing (1) slightly outward.

13.Press in the rear upper tab to release on the fuel filler housing.

14.With the rear portion of the fuel filler housing (1) released from the vehicle, press the upper and lower front tabs on the back of the fuel filler housing.

15.Move the rear portion of the fuel filler out further to get the seal over the fuel filler tube.

16.Remove the fuel filler housing from the vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
23 - Body / Exterior / HOUSING, Fuel Fill / Installation

Installation

1.Position the front portion of the fuel filler housing (1) behind the quarter panel.

2. Insert fuel filler tube through center seal of the fuel filler housing (1).

3.Push inward to seat the four mounting tabs located on the back of the fuel filler housing.

4.Verify the four tabs have seated fully.

5.Angle the fuel door latch actuator (1) so that it fits through the hole in the fuel filler housing and slide the actuator into the fuel filler housing pocket.

6.Insert the bottom of the fuel door latch actuator (2) into the notch on the bottom of the fuel filler housing.

7.Push the upper portion of the actuator back to engage the two upper tabs (1).

8.Install the gas cap (1).

9.Align the gas cap tether retaining clip (3) into the appropriate hole in the fuel filler housing and insert fully.

10.Install the fuel filler door (2), (Refer to 23 - Body/Exterior/DOOR, Fuel Fill/Installation) .

11.From within the wheelhouse, connect the wiring connector to the actuator (1).

12.Inspect to be certain the manual release cable grommet (2) is seated properly.

13.If not seated properly, insert into wheel house fully.

14.Install the rear wheelhouse splash shield (1), (Refer to 23 - Body/Exterior/SHIELD, Splash, Wheel House/Installation) .

15.Install the wheel, (Refer to 22 - Tires and Wheels/Installation) .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts