Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Front struts are gone, will replace with KYB's struts part #'s 334982 and 334981. Rockauto.com has them for $83 each rightnow compared to the next cheapest autozone $127 so definitely gonna pull the trigger, however I need to know, do I need to replace the strut mounts with KYB's also (sm5811 and sm5812) or can I reuse the stock ones? Also just in time my extended warranty ended last week, fml 馃槕馃槕馃槕 I lowered my last car so I know the dangers of compressing springs, these items are much cheaper than getting a complete strut assembly, and plus it gives me a reason to get under the car. Thanks guys and gals 馃憤

Attachments

Super Moderator
Since you are going the spring compressor route, replace the mounts and strut bearings as well. The lower ball joint stud is such a pain that you don't want to be doing that again anytime soon.

Reactions: Mass_Paul

Registered
I used the Rockauto Monroe Gt struts (quick change) on my sxt. I did not do it myself but rather took it to a tire/alignment shop. Good luck.

Registered
I just replaced all 4 corners on my 2013 Limited. Don鈥檛 skinp and go cheap. Your springs are probably shot as well and just replacing the struts won鈥檛 solve your ride issues. It cost me about $1100 to have them replaced at my local shop. Don鈥檛 go to the dealer. Good luck.

Registered
I just replaced all 4 corners on my 2013 Limited. Don鈥檛 skinp and go cheap. Your springs are probably shot as well and just replacing the struts won鈥檛 solve your ride issues. It cost me about $1100 to have them replaced at my local shop. Don鈥檛 go to the dealer. Good luck.
What brand of springs did you get?

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Replacing the struts now, stuck on getting them back on though, tried putting then on top first and had to disconnect the caliper but still no luck. Any advice guys?

Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
How much did you take apart? The axle and lower control arm should be disconnected from the steering knuckle. The strut should go in the tower first, then into the knuckle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Only the caliper, saw a vid where 2 guys did the job without having to unbold anything but the sway bar link, however that no longer seems like an option. Gotta take out the axle and LCA then?

Premium Member
2013 Dart Limited 1.4T 6-Speed
With the axle out of the steering knuckle, you may get enough movement to get the strut in. I'd start with that.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, had to take axle nut off and complete the job, was smooth after that. Saw a vid on youtube where two guys did the job without unbolting anything but the sway bar link, for future people doing this, don't follow their way. Take the axle nut off, DEFINITELY take the axle nut off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts