Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if anyone else has experienced this (i frequent the autobahn in Germany and constantly drive over 100mph) but at high speeds when i apply the brakes ill hear a shuttering/vibration noise coming from the front end along with steering wheel vibration (back and forth left to right). I would lean towards loose wheels or warped rotors but it only occurs when im braking from a high speed, not while on country roads or in the city... any guesses?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would look at alignment and rotors. Does the vibration keep happening even as you get to slower speeds from the high speed stop?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as i hold the brakes it will continue to do it but if i let up (such as i resume acceleration) and reapply the brakes later down the road it wont happen until about 3 or 4 seconds into the braking...it almost seems like its doing this when the rotors are heated but not when they're cooled off.

·
Registered
492 Posts
that sounds like a typical brake pulsation. caused from over heated rotors causing the metal to warp. a trip to the dealer should solve the problem. they will either replace them under warrenty, resurface them if they are not worn to the min thickness specification or will charge you for a brake job. on the rare case they find something else caused it - sticking caliper or guide it is a simple and straightforward repair.

·
Premium Member
13,037 Posts
Sounds like Rotors, you shouldn't be able to feel the ABS modulation unless you're emergency-braking.. (standing on the pedal)

·
Registered
120 Posts
rotors

·
Registered
127 Posts
The stock rotors are probably not really meant for what you are doing. I'd seek to find some higher performance onces to swap in, then get some better pads as well. Then you'll probably not notice this at high speeds.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem worked itself out I guess...no more vibrations :) yeah the autobahn is great for time but bad for mpg

Reactions: suzq044

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had the same thing while going up and down a mountain kind of aggressively (a mountain for Virginia). Mostly on the way down braking hard before a turn. A few miles of easy driving and it was gone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DodgeDart

1 - 13 of 13 Posts