Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just changed the front rotors and pads on my ‘13 Dart. They work reasonably well, but I noticed after about a day of driving that the innermost part of both front rotors don’t show any signs of wear at all. There is a small band of roughness like you find on a brand new rotor, and in the photo it stops where that dark line of dirt is (it’s raining here, and it collected on the edge and dried). The un-worn area is the same size on both rotors. When I installed the caliper bolts both of the guide pins moved freely. What could be causing this? I’m pretty sure the pads are the same size as the old, though I didn’t actually check.

Is it possible that I put the clip on the brake pad in the wrong place? I forgot to note the location when I removed the old ones, but they don’t actually seem to do anything because it only contacts the brake pad that it’s clipped to.

·
Premium Member
6,165 Posts
It's hard to tell how large that area is in the picture, but there is a visible gap between the pad contact area and the hub. You can see it very easily on older rotors, but because it's usually all crusty it doesn't look like brake rotor surface area. If you're concerned that there is a problem, remove the pads and check that they are wearing evenly. If they aren't, then something is causing them to bind. I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is normal, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to tell how large that area is in the picture, but there is a visible gap between the pad contact area and the hub. You can see it very easily on older rotors, but because it's usually all crusty it doesn't look like brake rotor surface area. If you're concerned that there is a problem, remove the pads and check that they are wearing evenly. If they aren't, then something is causing them to bind. I'm pretty sure what you're seeing is normal, though.
Yeah, after looking at the old rotors a little harder it seems they have a band of no contact too. I think they’re fine. Thanks for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts