Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

My first visit here, and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the issue I am in the community. After a winter in Michigan, I have been experiencing mold in my backseat. Come to find out, my floor behind my passenger seat is soaked after every rainfall. No one gets in/out of the backseat, so I suspect the water is leaking in from somewhere. I put a damp-rid bag in the other day, and it was full today.

Anyone had this happen to them?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
You need to find the source of the leak. Have you looked in the spare tire well? Sit in the trunk with a flashlight while someone sprays the car with a hose. Have the seatback forward so you coulld see that as well. Do you possibly have a sunroof?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to find the source of the leak. Have you looked in the spare tire well? Sit in the trunk with a flashlight while someone sprays the car with a hose. Have the seatback forward so you coulld see that as well. Do you possibly have a sunroof?
When I was doing my spring cleaning of the car, there was probably a few inches of water in the spare tire well now that you bring that up. However, I got it out, and often check now and its dry. I will try the trunk thing though. I do have a sunroof.

·
Super Moderator
4,538 Posts
When I was doing my spring cleaning of the car, there was probably a few inches of water in the spare tire well now that you bring that up. However, I got it out, and often check now and its dry. I will try the trunk thing though. I do have a sunroof.
My first guess would be the sun roof. Either that or the back window to cause it to leak into the back seat. I would follow Alpines suggestion and have someone spray it with water to isolate where the water is coming from. I am not sure where the sun roof drains to, but I think it has channels that go towards the back of the car. It's possible you have a bad seal on the sun roof, and water is making it's way back there - and possibly the drain for it is plugged. Causing it to leak into the back. However, there might not be any drains, since the sun roof isn't really meant to be used full open when it's raining :) but in case of a leak, I would assume they have some channels to move water. But also check the corners of your rear window, and also the small triangle windows on the side of the car. My first car actually DID have a leak from there. I noticed it in the car wash once. It wasn't excessive but it did see some drops seep in.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Post from a different member in 2015 said this about the trunk having water....."They found the tail light had a nut that was loose and water was getting in through there. They put a new seal on the nut and tightened everything and found it was sealed again."

·
Registered
539 Posts
If i were you, and it's still under warranty, I'd take it to the dealer. My 2013 Dart Rallye (which i DO NOT miss, having traded it in nearly 4 years ago) had a major water leak, which sounds like it could be similar to yours. When i took mine to the dealer, they told me that the sound deadening material underneath the car was somehow positioned improperly, not allowing water to drain as it should. Never really could explain to me why the water would be able to freely enter the passenger cabin from the underside of the car.... but meh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all!

My first visit here, and I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the issue I am in the community. After a winter in Michigan, I have been experiencing mold in my backseat. Come to find out, my floor behind my passenger seat is soaked after every rainfall. No one gets in/out of the backseat, so I suspect the water is leaking in from somewhere. I put a damp-rid bag in the other day, and it was full today.

Anyone had this happen to them? View attachment 124649
It could be your ac drainage line depending on the car mine runs in the passenger front seat right under the dash and I had the same problem except I'm in Florida so it's very humid so my carpet would be soaked no matter what I tried or how many times I steam cleaned it up . I later found out that the c clamp holding my ac drainage hose had fallen off and the hose popped off and was pumping water in between the floor pannel and the carpet. To check for leaks hop in your car and have a family member or friend spraythe car down with a hose because it could be bad seals on your doors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It could be your ac drainage line depending on the car mine runs in the passenger front seat right under the dash and I had the same problem except I'm in Florida so it's very humid so my carpet would be soaked no matter what I tried or how many times I steam cleaned it up . I later found out that the c clamp holding my ac drainage hose had fallen off and the hose popped off and was pumping water in between the floor pannel and the carpet. To check for leaks hop in your car and have a family member or friend spraythe car down with a hose because it could be bad seals on your doors.
And if that fails take it to a shop describe the issue and they should be able to fix you up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts