Dodge Dart Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My radio mysteriously crapped out yesterday. I lost all power to the screen and power buttons for ac and radio. I spent a lot of time searching but found very little info to solve this. I simply disconnected the battery for a few minutes, and it's back up. I read some thead saying dealership wanted to replace whole head units. I hope this helps somebody out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks!

My radio mysteriously crapped out yesterday. I lost all power to the screen and power buttons for ac and radio. I spent a lot of time searching but found very little info to solve this. I simply disconnected the battery for a few minutes, and it's back up. I read some thead saying dealership wanted to replace whole head units. I hope this helps somebody out
Thank you for writing this. I had the same issue happen to my 2015 Dart but I also had the pleasure of having my heat defrost stuck on high. Disconnecting the battery fixed the issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
It would make good sense that this would fix it. As it would with most electronics. So thank you for helping anyone out with this issue.

But, there is a bigger problem at hand. This issue might not be a one time thing. It might reaccur over and over. In that case the best thing to do would be take it and at least show it to the dealer so they have it on file of the issue. Because simply resetting the battery every time is not practical to fix it. It's not just a bug in every dart, it's a specific issue with yours and anyone else with the issue's car that should be thoroughly addressed.

It's perfect if it's a, I'm in a rush, don't have time for this kind of thing. But who knows when it will happen next. Will it happen on a road trip 500 miles away from home, without tools in the car? I always keep tools in the car, but most people do not. You cannot reset it without those, and who knows where the closest shop is where you can go ask for a 10mm socket for a couple minutes. I hope your issue doesn't come back, but if it does you should have your dealer look at it so it's documented for future use. If you go in saying you have the issue before warranty is up, and then it completely craps out on you later after it, there is probable cause to look and see that this part was failing before and might be covered even after the factory warranty.

If you guys are over the warranty already (36,000 or 3 years) then it makes sense you would avoid the dealer at all cost, but others reading this thread would do the same thing and possibly get screwed later. It is really great info to know this, but just depending on how you're looking at it, it might not always be the best route :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
if the entire ICS and radio went out the issue is not the telematics module, the issue is the ICS is taking out the radio / screen.
I remember there being grounding issues to the ICS a few years back. I thought there was a TSB or a Star Online case about it, can't really remember, don't mess with CTP/FCTP radios too often anymore. Removing battery power to recover is short term fix. I'd make sure grounds are good first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts