1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Old news and FCA has rejected the merger.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Old news and FCA has rejected the merger.
Not really, it looks like that was just that one deal that was dropped, which was effectively round one of negotiations. It's a complicated situation, because Nissan (which is 43.4% owned by Renault) doesn't want to get in bed with a new entity taking over such an enormous stake in their company, and the French government (which owns 15% of Renault) wants to retain an inordinate amount of influence over the new company (like they do with Renault).

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
so they are trying to add to their alphabet soup? fcaN? Fcan car.... Pretty soon its going to be like nascar...what 'skin' do you want your government approved chassis.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
so they are trying to add to their alphabet soup? fcaN? Fcan car.... Pretty soon its going to be like nascar...what 'skin' do you want your government approved chassis.
FCA wants to be the third-largest automaker in the world behind Toyota and VW. They aren't going to get there selling garbage Fiats in North America, and there's only so much they can squeeze out of Jeep. Renault is a good target for a merger/acquisition these days, what with their (and Nissan's) "leadership issues".

·
Registered
712 Posts
FCA wants to be the third-largest automaker in the world behind Toyota and VW. They aren't going to get there selling garbage Fiats in North America, and there's only so much they can squeeze out of Jeep. Renault is a good target for a merger/acquisition these days, what with their (and Nissan's) "leadership issues".
Any merger fca does will not be for north america. It will be for other parts of the world where they either want to build on sales or need the sales. Renault is the company that fit's in best with them

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Car companies have merged and separated for years and years. This would be nothing new, and actually just the norm. Easier to by a company with an established product then to build one from the ground up. You can then also show their sales as an increase to your sales which shows well to the markets, your stock price and ultimately the investors which it is all about. If you can't make your own sales projections, but someone elses.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Does FCA actually have anything coming soon that is worth reading about or looking at ?
I can't find anything online.
I think they released an 11,000 hp hellcat based alcohol funny car which of course is not a daily driver unless you're absolutely insane with a metric shit ton of $$$ laying around.

Other then that not a peep.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends what you're looking for. Let me know what you're interested in and i can possibly give some hints
First would be a "sports car" as an everyday driver. Two seater, non Fast N' Furious motif, and not a hulking Viper. Keep it around 30K and easy to maintain.
Also, something that is not a Jeep . And with a Dodge badge on it. Then, revamp the Dodge lineup in retro fashion to cure the insanity that is the Practical Hauling Vehicle. Besides, with Amazon capturing the retail market, W T H are we buying and hauling around? That is so 20th Century of the Anno Domini .

·
Registered
712 Posts
First would be a "sports car" as an everyday driver. Two seater, non Fast N' Furious motif, and not a hulking Viper. Keep it around 30K and easy to maintain.
Also, something that is not a Jeep . And with a Dodge badge on it. Then, revamp the Dodge lineup in retro fashion to cure the insanity that is the Practical Hauling Vehicle. Besides, with Amazon capturing the retail market, W T H are we buying and hauling around? That is so 20th Century of the Anno Domini .
Pretty much what you want is a spider with a dodge badge instead of mazda/fiat. Other then that your hopes and dreams would be pushing up dasies for dodge. In fact dodge doesn't really make any sort of practical hauling vehicle anyways unless you wanna consider the durango. Jeep and ram have that section down. The gist of fca will be chrysler as a people mover/family car, ram as trucks, jeep as the off road, dodge as the "power" be it with cars and cuvs/suvs, alfa is luxury, and fiat is small cars.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty much what you want is a spider with a dodge badge instead of mazda/fiat. Other then that your hopes and dreams would be pushing up dasies for dodge. In fact dodge doesn't really make any sort of practical hauling vehicle anyways unless you wanna consider the durango. Jeep and ram have that section down. The gist of fca will be chrysler as a people mover/family car, ram as trucks, jeep as the off road, dodge as the "power" be it with cars and cuvs/suvs, alfa is luxury, and fiat is small cars.
Yes.... you're correct. I just have a hard time seeing the big nameplates dissolving the smaller vehicles (cars) when certain competition are doing so well. Like, how can Toyota "afford" to offer a Corolla (which currently is not cheap btw) in a 6spd manual sedan with a sport trim? Are the Asians really THAT much better at the whole game? I suppose it's years of bad press and other factors. Never mind that Hyundai (or is it KIA) is still embroiled in engines catching fire and other fails.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Talking to myself I guess, but, regardless - as far as current FCA conditions: I used to be a big fan of the Chally vs the other pony choices. And even compared to sports type useless cars in general. But I'm now of the opinion that the Challenger is getting a bit long-in-the-tooth style wise. I also was watching a few minutes of an old Fast/Furious movie on cable yesterday.... painfully comical at best..... it's like a big page has been turned in the book of fun cars all of a sudden (in my mind) and the fallout is a disquieting arrival at the current Mustang Bullitt version being the only real head turner as far as "like to own - curb appeal". Right down to the cue-ball manual shifter. Even the new C8 Vette is starting to look a bit over-the-top in a toy-ish sort of way. The market is in dire need of something great. And it ain't anything even close to a new Supra... blech...
dance.jpg

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The last auto show I went to resulted in absolutely NO feelings of "I wish I had one of these...". Seriously, if I won the lottery and had a hundred grand to spend on a new car I think I'd just go with a fully restored 1967 Mustang fastback. New cars are too full of electronics and the styling is usually like something out of a Star Wars movie.

·
Premium Member
6,012 Posts
Talking to myself I guess, but, regardless - as far as current FCA conditions: I used to be a big fan of the Chally vs the other pony choices. And even compared to sports type useless cars in general. But I'm now of the opinion that the Challenger is getting a bit long-in-the-tooth style wise. I also was watching a few minutes of an old Fast/Furious movie on cable yesterday.... painfully comical at best..... it's like a big page has been turned in the book of fun cars all of a sudden (in my mind) and the fallout is a disquieting arrival at the current Mustang Bullitt version being the only real head turner as far as "like to own - curb appeal". Right down to the cue-ball manual shifter. Even the new C8 Vette is starting to look a bit over-the-top in a toy-ish sort of way. The market is in dire need of something great. And it ain't anything even close to a new Supra... blech...
The Mustang Bullit is just a Mustang GT with some minor changes (many of them cosmetic) and a hefty price tag. It's definitely not a good value. Automakers really aren't investing a whole lot in cars right now because that isn't what the market is demanding. The C8 Corvette, on the other hand, is a damned rocket-ship that offers super-car performance with a Corvette price tag. Its styling is no great departure from the C7, and it has better performance in all categories than any previous generation of production Corvette. The decision to not offer a manual transmission is no great surprise, though I was pleasantly surprised that they opted for a dual-clutch automatic. The only aspect that I'm really put off by is having all of the buttons in a line along the top of the panel separating the driving "cockpit" and the passenger. I could probably live with it, but I'm not really a fan.

Considering the still plummeting demand for cars, I don't think the market is much in need of anything in regards to cars these days. Crossover SUVs and pickup trucks are what the market is demanding. Despite the lies of all the automakers, the fact that people are buying these vehicles is proof enough that almost nobody actually likes to drive. It's just something people do to get places. To me, getting places is usually the worst part of driving. I'm going on a family vacation to Virginia Beach in August. It's a 12 hour drive, and despite that I will be driving my minivan right at the speed limit and no faster (speeding in a foreign country is never a smart plan), I will probably enjoy the drive more than the destination.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Beating a dead horse is a bad habit of mine. But how does a vehicle company even make ends meet in today's brutal market ? I get the whole Truck/SUV/ Utility based popularity. I really do. But there is also so many odd vehicles offered in the mainstream below 30K, that I just can't but wonder how certain companies do it without losing huge money.
It's just the ongoing habitual mind hobby of mine. Once all the dust settles in a few years, I wonder what the mainstream market will look like. Not so much Globally, because there are too many variables at play that I don't understand. But just here in the USA. If a given Unit doesn't sell in a reasonably good volume, it can't survive. Proof of which is the way GM, Ford and FCA all got rid of Cars as a segment.
Some of it will surely repeat itself just like the world of fashion in clothing. And the biggest hot-topic in all things automotive is the aging consumers impact on the market. The overused moniker of "The Boomers" is becoming a worrying factor as the age group becomes too old to support the buying habits and power of the last 50, 60 years.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Beating a dead horse is a bad habit of mine. But how does a vehicle company even make ends meet in today's brutal market ? I get the whole Truck/SUV/ Utility based popularity. I really do. But there is also so many odd vehicles offered in the mainstream below 30K, that I just can't but wonder how certain companies do it without losing huge money.
It's just the ongoing habitual mind hobby of mine. Once all the dust settles in a few years, I wonder what the mainstream market will look like. Not so much Globally, because there are too many variables at play that I don't understand. But just here in the USA. If a given Unit doesn't sell in a reasonably good volume, it can't survive. Proof of which is the way GM, Ford and FCA all got rid of Cars as a segment.
Some of it will surely repeat itself just like the world of fashion in clothing. And the biggest hot-topic in all things automotive is the aging consumers impact on the market. The overused moniker of "The Boomers" is becoming a worrying factor as the age group becomes too old to support the buying habits and power of the last 50, 60 years.

Well, that is why there are so few inexpensive vehicles and so many higher end models. The cost to build a base pickup and top end model may only be a few thousand dollars. Of course the top end model is almost twice the MSRP! It has been that way forever. That is how the car companies can sell a few basic models (loss leaders). Most consumers want higher end models anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
rsamson67
Dodge Dart Forum
Dodge-Dart.org is a forum dedicated to the Dodge Dart. Join and participate in discussions about body kits and performance mods. Get the latest tips, news, browse the classifieds, and more!
Full Forum Listing