Dodge Dart Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Looking at my brake booster vacuum hose I don't see where there is a problem. I guess they want to reroute it so that it goes under rather than over everything, so that oil can't pool up inside the booster?

It's just amazing how the slightest engineering change can have massive unintended consequences. GM went though all that grief with their ignition switches simply because of a simple plunger and spring that wasn't beefy enough.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I still can't find my car listed under their recall, but I think I can see what they are talking about. In the picture shown of a later Dart I have an arrow pointed at the vacuum hose that goes to the brake booster. Note how it makes an immediate U-turn upwards then back down again. On my Dart the hose merely turns 90 degrees out of the head and goes back to the booster without making the vertical U-turn, which could allow residual oil to seep back towards the brake booster. If a Dodge mechanic is reading this and says I'm off-base then please speak up, otherwise I assume this is what they are talking about.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
So with this recall announced as R63 last month, has anybody seen or had a dealer verify that this is for real yet? My 2013 SXT is a March 2013 build which puts it under the blanket of affected models. What I find interesting is when I put in the vin at the FCA / MoPar recall check site, it comes back as "No Outstanding Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist". Seems like we should see some info on this recall by now I would think.

Of course my dealer is not fully aware of the recall yet they say. They seem to follow what they see on the VIN check in-house. But I was able to find a complete bulletin online for this recall and many others.

So I have had the first symptom, the "pop" and air hiss occur once, ironically on the day the recall was announced. So far the brakes continue to work, but I'm certain it's only a matter of time until I get the hard pedal..
Supposedly only the 2.4L engines are affected. I checked with a Dodge dealer last week, and my car still doesn't have any recalls listed even though my car was built during the time the affected vehicles were made. I was told that if it gets added to the recall that 'd get a notice in the mail, but I'm concerned that my brake booster will serve notice first.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Received my recall notice in the mail today...

FCA finally sent me a letter saying my 2014 2.4L is subject to the recall on the vacuum hose routing/brake booster failure issue. That's all fine and dandy, but then it stated that they do not have the parts on hand to repair the vehicle so I need to stay tuned. So basically I need to keep my fingers crossed that my brakes don't have a problem before they finally have a chance to get enough parts in from Timbuktu to start fixing all these vehicles. It just blows me away that nobody has a well-stocked parts network anymore and only makes as many parts as they need to assemble new cars. :mad:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Looks like the new hose has a check valve built into it. I'm taking mine in next Monday; I hope all they need to do is replace the hose as well, because the thought of them ripping parts out of my baby, getting grease/fluid over everything and possibly crushing the rocker panels on the lift is making me smoke five packs a day. :serious:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Well, I went in at 9am to have my Dart taken care of, but then they dropped a bomb on me and told me they don't give out loaner vehicles. I told them I'm stuck here then, so how long was it going to take? The check-in dude went back into the shop, came back out and told me they wouldn't be looking at it until sometime in the afternoon. What the flying f***??? I then told them I would need to reschedule and left. Here we go again... dealing not with a bad car, but a bad network of car dealers. The document @jsblanch linked to above specifically tells dealers to have loaner vehicles ready if need be, but I guess these guys didn't get the memo. I'll have to call around and see which Dodge dealers in my area actually have service loaners, because I can't afford to waste an entire day sipping bad coffee and reading the same issue of National Geographic over and over.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
The Subaru dealer where my wife bought her Impreza hands out their own loaners, and when her car went in last month we drove a 2015 Forester around for a few days. I see dealer service loaners driving around all the time (you can tell because they have "SERVICE LOANER" in huge letters right on the rear window). This dealer was willing to let me test-drive an Avenger for an entire weekend back when I was getting ready to buy my Dart, but I guess if they're not trying to sell you something they don't want you driving around in their cars while yours is laid up in their shop.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
This worries me as I am scheduled to have my hoses replaced this Saturday (I went in last Saturday and after waiting an hour, they told me they did not have the hoses in stock!). They at least did confirm it was just the hoses that need to be replaced. I also think they slightly crushed one of my rocker panels in one spot but don't have proof plus you have to almost be under the car to see it. My very first experience at a Dodge dealer reinforces what all of you say about them...
Ugh... when I brought mine in last week I had no chance to talk to anyone about being careful with the rocker panels. In fact I got bad vibes overall from that particular dealer, so I canceled my appointment and will likely take it back to the dealer where I bought it even though they're an hour's drive away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.